IGNORED

Boxing day : UPDATE Bristol will be in Tier 3

Robin Wood

12 hours ago, phantom said:

Everything to do with it

I'm confident the club have enough safety precautions and measures in place to make it a safe experience (like EVERY OTHER ground that have so far had supporters back) 

Boxing Day is my birthday and usually I would want nothing more than to watch City, no matter where in the country that is.

You couldn't give me a ticket to watch the rubbish we're being served at the moment, the LJ years were bad enough, and we've gone back to such negative football  watching paint dry would be more entertaining.

Being away from the ground for so long helps make it an easy decision. 

For reference, I'm in a whattsapp group of City supporters, the other 35 in the group feel exactly the same way 

I echo your sentiments entirely, living just over the border and not being allowed to travel makes my decision for me although I did said to my eldest that you could offer me free ticket and I wouldn’t go to watch the crap being dished out . 

Far more important things to worry about than watching City at the moment. 

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

With Dover stacking the lorry and the French having a history of waving the white flag, this should be an exciting clash, eapecially pictures if Dover can cross the maginot Line.

Don't personally rate him, last international he played in the German front line easily got past him but of course that day the Germans had Panzer playing at his best and shot was deadly. 

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Every year pony like this gets posted and every year our season ticket sales increase! Funny that, I wonder if some people are attention seeking and claim to not want a ST after back to back defeats, but as soon as we win a couple all is alright with the world, :laugh:.

So what exactly is "pony' in my post ?

I did stop going for a while, people do. It is easier not to go after missing a few games, it brakes the habit. 

This is a very different time where everyone has had time away from football. People have been made redundant, things are very tight for people and there are going to be lots of people reconsidering their season tickets. 
The 2 defeats in the scheme of things are meaningless, the poor football for the last couple of years my mean more. I said City will have to be careful where they pitch pricing for the next "proper" season of football. If they were to put prices up as they have done after this year , just for arguments sake say we are still a Championship side, then do you think we would have more SC holders? Really?

The reason you see people question Season cards every season is they want to go, but it has to be financially viable and affordable. There are plenty that don't go every week due to cost. COVID has put a very different spin on things. 

This game will be the one I miss most not being able to go to. Love a a Boxing Day home match . Out early meet your mates few festive Ciders watch the football. Get home bit of left over eats . Fall asleep in the chair. Oh well . Let’s hope for 3 points. Wishing a safe and healthy Merry Xmas to all you fellow reds and your families. Up the city 

56 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

So what exactly is "pony' in my post ?

I did stop going for a while, people do. It is easier not to go after missing a few games, it brakes the habit. 

This is a very different time where everyone has had time away from football. People have been made redundant, things are very tight for people and there are going to be lots of people reconsidering their season tickets. 
The 2 defeats in the scheme of things are meaningless, the poor football for the last couple of years my mean more. I said City will have to be careful where they pitch pricing for the next "proper" season of football. If they were to put prices up as they have done after this year , just for arguments sake say we are still a Championship side, then do you think we would have more SC holders? Really?

The reason you see people question Season cards every season is they want to go, but it has to be financially viable and affordable. There are plenty that don't go every week due to cost. COVID has put a very different spin on things. 

I'm just making the point, just like 'that was the worst game I've ever seen at Ashton Gate' and 'me and all 750 of my City supporting mates will not return to AG until the manager is gone' these comments get said every season and last season we had our highest average gates for 40 years so clearly lots of people are talking pony, maybe not you of course.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It stuns me that people who lived through the tenures of Keith Millen, Derek McInnes and Sean O’Driscoll (not to mention Joe Jordan second time, Tony Pulis and Brian Tinnion)  now say that the last three seasons have been the worst they’ve ever experienced.  We’ve been competing in the top half of one of the strongest divisions in the world.  Yes, there have been ups and downs, but I’ve been a City supporter for many years and the last three seasons (which presumably includes the cup run to the semi-finals) have been far from the worst.

I think you have to factor in sentiment/expectation though right?

If you've had a couple of awful seasons in L1, with a pretty poor team cobbled together by about 3 different managers fans expectations are very low, and just getting 3 points on the board and a season where you're not still looking down in March is enough to put some kind of smile on our faces. In that situation some poor quality hoofball from a few journeymen pros is just about palatable.

When you've had a massive stadium built, talk of the prem, investment, the much vaunted stability, a higher quality of player both old and young than we've ever seen before and so on - it naturally raises peoples expectations. I think the quality of the football is relative to the quality of players, or where you think you should be... otherwise how can Liverpool every play a "bad" game and Manor Farm ever play a "good" one?

I actually think the great starts we seem to have factor in to this, and if we'd started poorly and ended up in 8th with an outside shot of the playoffs for the last month or two seasons would be looked back on a bit more fondly than when the trend is usually downwards.

So while you're of course right that in absolute terms what we're seeing now is not as bad as those, I can see why it appears that way. Additionally of course time is a great healer... and it's very easy to forget quite how awful some of it was back then!

14 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Nothing to do with it. 

People are cautious about going,  and others may be in different tiers. 

Anyway. Can't wait. Have tickets for the game. 

Always good to get back to the gate. I love it as i only get chance of coming home every two years or so. However if I was back for this Christmas i would give it a miss. Family are more important and unless a real manger is employed rather than the muppet we got now don’t waste your money . 

You can watch the defeat and the embarrassment the next day  

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

If you've had a couple of awful seasons in L1, with a pretty poor team cobbled together by about 3 different managers fans expectations are very low, and just getting 3 points on the board and a season where you're not still looking down in March is enough to put some kind of smile on our faces. In that situation some poor quality hoofball from a few journeymen pros is just about palatable.

When you've had a massive stadium built, talk of the prem, investment, the much vaunted stability, a higher quality of player both old and young than we've ever seen before and so on - it naturally raises peoples expectations. I think the quality of the football is relative to the quality of players, or where you think you should be... otherwise how can Liverpool every play a "bad" game and Manor Farm ever play a "good" one?

I actually think the great starts we seem to have factor in to this, and if we'd started poorly and ended up in 8th with an outside shot of the playoffs for the last month or two seasons would be looked back on a bit more fondly than when the trend is usually downwards.

So while you're of course right that in absolute terms what we're seeing now is not as bad as those, I can see why it appears that way. Additionally of course time is a great healer... and it's very easy to forget quite how awful some of it was back then!

It’s bloody awful now and looks like last season over and over again . Please don’t compare Liverpool with manor farm and city getting a bad game. We all love city but please mate let me know how you feel after Xmas and mid January when we will be floundering in a mid table position 

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Excellent come back to my post.  Maybe the answer is to do with expectation - I’ve supported City for so long that I have no real expectations, just hopes that maybe one day we’ll have another great season.  For me, top half of the Championship is success, and anything better is dreamland.  Maybe that’s why I’m reasonably content with what we’re getting, but still with the hope that maybe, just maybe, one special season will come along.  In the meantime, I’ve seen us play a lot worse than we have this season.

• Admin
7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Every year pony like this gets posted and every year our season ticket sales increase! Funny that, I wonder if some people are attention seeking and claim to not want a ST after back to back defeats, but as soon as we win a couple all is alright with the world, :laugh:.

VERY different circumstances this time around

With nobody able to go to a game for 9 months we have all found other things to do, with the impact of covid on jobs etc 100% future sales will not be the same

As mentioned above, I would always look at friends (who never missed a game, suddenly stop going and say they don't miss going to a game) and think they are nuts.

Personally being away from the game for so long I can now see what they meant

All I would miss is meeting friends before and after the game and the random opposition supporters we would meet

Going down the Gate since I was 8 has been a habit I have enjoyed for over 60 years now but I had 'spells' of not going for various reasons. When I was 14 we moved North with Dad's job and I supported Sheffield Wednesday @Owl Visiting ( still do) until I moved back to Brizzle at 19, met my missus and took her on our first date to watch City. Missed it for a few years when I served in the RAF. Missed it when I had a pub in Bolton, round the corner from the Reebok. The main thing is that we all ache when we are not doing well and all say ' thats it, no more' but it's in our DNA. We are City, we want success but to long time supporters and short time supporters, as long as we are in a division above the Gas.................we are successful . Of course I want Premiership but Championship and playing attractive football ( although slight blip on that at the moment) is total reality for our club. I wish Dean all the best for Xmas and just hope when all the walking wounded are back we can get back to winning ways.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I don't think that's true.

A figure of 12k was reported for this season, well down on last.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Always good to get back to the gate. I love it as i only get chance of coming home every two years or so. However if I was back for this Christmas i would give it a miss. Family are more important and unless a real manger is employed rather than the muppet we got now don’t waste your money . 

I see what you did there.

Very seasonal.

Ah. I see I wasn't the first to pick up on this.

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think that's true.

A figure of 12k was reported for this season, well down on last.

Be fair, you were buying a season ticket based on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max. I think 12,000 is an unbelievable figure in the circumstances. The point I was making is after every poor display or run of defeats for as long as I can remember people come on the City forum (oh the Irony) to say how much they are not interested in City anymore and that they won't be getting a ST. At the same time our attendances are at a 40 year high. Clearly the vast majority (not all I accept) are just attention seekers/fans who are up and down like yo yos/liars (delete as appropriate).

13 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Be fair, you were buying a season ticket based on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max. I think 12,000 is an unbelievable figure in the circumstances. The point I was making is after every poor display or run of defeats for as long as I can remember people come on the City forum (oh the Irony) to say how much they are not interested in City anymore and that they won't be getting a ST. At the same time our attendances are at a 40 year high. Clearly the vast majority (not all I accept) are just attention seekers/fans who are up and down like yo yos/liars (delete as appropriate).

You do understand the concept of a forum do you ?

You keep running this but there’s a difference between people being interested and attending 

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'm just making the point, just like 'that was the worst game I've ever seen at Ashton Gate' and 'me and all 750 of my City supporting mates will not return to AG until the manager is gone' these comments get said every season and last season we had our highest average gates for 40 years so clearly lots of people are talking pony, maybe not you of course.

Football is a very "knee-jerk" sport, it annoys me too, but there it is.
I do think that because of the situation, the Club will have to think carefully about where they set the prices for the next "real season" . 
Redundancy, reduced hours, having to use savings to get by apart from not knowing what's coming up in the near future. That point of being away from football makes it easier to stay away is valid. If City put up the prices again next year it could be a tipping point, and I'm not talking about the people who shout about cancelling just because we didn't get the manager they wanted, but those who may not have enjoyed the football served up, and have been going for the social side as much as anything. I'm going to have to think whether I will renew, an enjoyable team to watch always makes that decision easier.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, pillred said:

Didn't somebody say as we hadn't had  a practice game we were limited to 1000 for the first game?

Interesting point

You are correct that clubs did have to have a test event before they could admit any crowds.

Surely if there were only 1,000 tickets for Wycombe the club would have said?

49 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Why does it annoy you so much? I’ve found that i don’t miss it, the football has not been that great and I’ve found i enjoy having the time on a Sat to do as i please, in fact I’ve actually found another hobby to replace the football - i will always be a fan as i have been but when the whole experience becomes hassle and a bit of a chore i will give it a miss for a while and will pick and choose the games.

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Do you think it's right to call the Manager a muppet and not the people who appointed him? What do you think of the owner who is satisfied with mid-table Championship obscurity as long as it is as pain free as possible in terms of the amount of money coming out of his wallet? Especially whilst the other key element of his stable is going more than nicely. Is he a muppet for not paying to keep the likes of you and many others happy by investing significantly in (yet more) new Management and playing staff?

I think the owner has looked at it, can see that people will not be in grounds for many months to come (definitely no season tickets on sale for next season any time soon because we all know exactly what is coming in the new year, Covid wise) and has thought "I'll cover the costs but sod it, I'm keeping my money in my pocket as much as I can thank you very much". The thing that rankles with me is not his right/entitlement to take that attitude but the complete and utter bullshit, lies and bluster that comes out of him and/or the club in explaining the decision made and the fact that the nettle wasn't grasped previously when we had a real chance to make the Premiership under his watch.

Without wanting to be too negative I can easily foresee a 1980's style decrease in attendances coming after this Covid mess is finally resolved (as always they will rise again) and I do wonder whether the owner is planning for that.

When I bought my season ticket COVID was barely here and we definitely didn’t know what impact it was going to have on match attendance for the season ahead. I’m guessing that a lot of those who renewed were in the same boat.  Bought early March and then we went into lockdown shortly after.  

I’m not going to the Boxing Day game but only because I’m meeting parents the day after. I do have tickets for Preston however and am looking forward to it, even though Holden clearly has no strategy beyond trying stuff out and hoping for the best,   we are playing like we never saw each other before, and we can’t seem to remember that we need to pass forwards and have shots at the opponents goal.

Always hopeful of improvement, and dream that miracles might happen and that there just might be the remote possibility of some entertaining football somewhere waiting to break out.  

Archived