IGNORED

Boxing day : UPDATE Bristol will be in Tier 3

Robin Wood

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

There won’t be any supporters in for the Preston match I’m afraid.  It’ll be either tier 4 for Bristol or full national lockdown well before then.

Yeah, I reckon looking at things today that you’ll be right.  Shame, was looking forward to getting back down there even if the football will probably be poor.  

I expect Ashton and his chums will probably give me a refund 6 months later, long after they’ve asked for season ticket renewal.  At this rate, we’ll still be getting repaid on this years ST long after they’ve asked for the cash for next year. 

26 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Yeah, I reckon looking at things today that you’ll be right.  Shame, was looking forward to getting back down there even if the football will probably be poor.  

I expect Ashton and his chums will probably give me a refund 6 months later, long after they’ve asked for season ticket renewal.  At this rate, we’ll still be getting repaid on this years ST long after they’ve asked for the cash for next year. 

To be fair, the club has recently paid refunds in advance.

7 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think you have to factor in sentiment/expectation though right?

If you've had a couple of awful seasons in L1, with a pretty poor team cobbled together by about 3 different managers fans expectations are very low, and just getting 3 points on the board and a season where you're not still looking down in March is enough to put some kind of smile on our faces. In that situation some poor quality hoofball from a few journeymen pros is just about palatable.

When you've had a massive stadium built, talk of the prem, investment, the much vaunted stability, a higher quality of player both old and young than we've ever seen before and so on - it naturally raises peoples expectations. I think the quality of the football is relative to the quality of players, or where you think you should be... otherwise how can Liverpool every play a "bad" game and Manor Farm ever play a "good" one?

I actually think the great starts we seem to have factor in to this, and if we'd started poorly and ended up in 8th with an outside shot of the playoffs for the last month or two seasons would be looked back on a bit more fondly than when the trend is usually downwards.

So while you're of course right that in absolute terms what we're seeing now is not as bad as those, I can see why it appears that way. Additionally of course time is a great healer... and it's very easy to forget quite how awful some of it was back then!

Thanks. I've seen worse quality over the years. But we now tend to forget that most of the past poor times were because we didn't have much to spend. But at least a very high percentage of those players worked hard for the club.

We now have the most costly squad of players that we have ever had, even allowing for inflation. So it is reasonable to expect more consistent performance and quality than all the free transfers that we relied on in the past.

But we are not seeing this. Most players now seem scared to make mistakes. Three passes after a throw in 5 metres from opponents goal line and its back with our goalkeeper. Really exciting watching that, isn't it?

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Be fair, you were buying a season ticket based on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max. I think 12,000 is an unbelievable figure in the circumstances. The point I was making is after every poor display or run of defeats for as long as I can remember people come on the City forum (oh the Irony) to say how much they are not interested in City anymore and that they won't be getting a ST. At the same time our attendances are at a 40 year high. Clearly the vast majority (not all I accept) are just attention seekers/fans who are up and down like yo yos/liars (delete as appropriate).

Not at all.

The last game at AG with fans in attendance was Fulham on March 7th.

The deadline to reserve your ST seat for this season was just 1 week later, March 15th, so imo. the vast majority of fans who intended to renew would already have done so before the prospect of any lockdown and inability to attend games was apparent. 

I'm sure that many, like me - it seems perhaps as many as 1 in 5 STH's - simply had no intention of renewing with the prospect of LJ and another season of his appalling football.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not at all.

The deadline to reserve your ST seat for this season was just 1 week later, March 15th, so imo. the vast majority of fans who intended to renew would already have done so before the prospect of any lockdown and inability to attend games was apparent. 

I'm not sure about this, I missed this game as was flying back from Portugal and the kick off was brought forward

We certainly didn't think there was any kind of lockdown on the horizon at that point, wearing face masks wasn't even a thing at this stage

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure about this, I missed this game as was flying back from Portugal and the kick off was brought forward

We certainly didn't think there was any kind of lockdown on the horizon at that point, wearing face masks wasn't even a thing at this stage

I think many like myself didn’t really give it a lot of thought until the following Friday lunchtime when they suddenly cancelled all football and you suddenly thought this must be serious 

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Indeed not, nor were potential ST purchasers at that time 'buying a ST on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max.'

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed not, nor were potential ST purchasers at that time 'buying a ST on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max.'

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me - it was obvious that if games were behind closed doors refunds would be given as there`s no way legally the club could not do that.

My refunds will pay for next year`s and I`ll get it on the first day as always.

30 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me

So you'll keep buying your ST every year, on the first day possible, whatever the football is like, whoever the manager is, whether you're enjoying it, or in fact so fed up with the crap football you find going to AG depressing?

Just because you like your seat?

Do you never feel the need to make a stand to let the powers that be at City know that not everything at AG is rosy to your satisfaction?

At least keep them on tenterhooks til day 2!

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me - it was obvious that if games were behind closed doors refunds would be given as there`s no way legally the club could not do that.

My refunds will pay for next year`s and I`ll get it on the first day as always.

Problem with current developments is that football could be very different next year.  I fear that many clubs will not survive much longer and I don't just mean in the lower leagues. I can see some PL clubs going tits up if I'm honest.

Just now, BigTone said:

Problem with current developments is that football could be very different next year.  I fear that many clubs will not survive much longer and I don't just mean in the lower leagues. I can see some PL clubs going tits up if I'm honest. Sincerely hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

No.  I’m afraid the latest data on infections and hospitalisations are horrific.  Most of the country is on an exponentially negative curve that already means we will see over the next few weeks more than a thousand people dying each day for a number of days.  There is every chance that this level of infection will mean it becomes impossible for any team to maintain a safe bubble and the league will be suspended during January.  Even if not, measures equivalent to national lockdown will be needed to stop the entire health system grinding to a halt.  Attending football matches won’t be at the top of our minds for some time.  Wycombe will be the last match for attendance for a while.

It’s amazing how some people like you can clearly see a bigger picture and others remain utterly clueless. 

The mutant strain is already in Bristol, national lockdown being muted from Boxing Day and some people still think 2k at the gate on Boxing Day is a good idea.

5 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

It’s amazing how some people like you can clearly see a bigger picture and others remain utterly clueless. 

The mutant strain is already in Bristol, national lockdown being muted from Boxing Day and some people still think 2k at the gate on Boxing Day is a good idea.

Some are frankly clueless to what this all means.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just for clarification however many of the 92 league sides are currently not playing?

Just to clarify further it seems that as of this evening both Millwall & Ipswich have now postponed games. I think we would all be a tad daft if we thought others won't have to do the same unless we live in a world far away from reality. I fully expect that football is likely to close down again very soon given what we are being told about the new mutated virus. I get the impression that you think otherwise.  Could help our injury list.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks. I've seen worse quality over the years. But we now tend to forget that most of the past poor times were because we didn't have much to spend. But at least a very high percentage of those players worked hard for the club.

We now have the most costly squad of players that we have ever had, even allowing for inflation. So it is reasonable to expect more consistent performance and quality than all the free transfers that we relied on in the past.

But we are not seeing this. Most players now seem scared to make mistakes. Three passes after a throw in 5 metres from opponents goal line and its back with our goalkeeper. Really exciting watching that, isn't it?

That really pisses me off.  Throw-in ball retention has improved this season believe it or not, but when they do that it’s so unnecessary.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That really pisses me off.  Throw-in ball retention has improved this season believe it or not, but when they do that it’s so unnecessary.

Any backpass to a keeper unless absolutely necessary pisses me off TBH.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Any backpass to a keeper unless absolutely necessary pisses me off TBH.

The thing that winds me up more than anything. Player just inside his own half, passes to keeper for him to lump down the pitch. Quite often the pass back is 20-30 yards, that means the keeper has to kick it 20-30 yards further than the other guy. Completely pointless. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not at all.

I'm sure that many, like me - it seems perhaps as many as 1 in 5 STH's - simply had no intention of renewing with the prospect of LJ and another season of his appalling football.

Absolute nonsense and you know it. Lots of season ticket holders purchase their tickets later than March for a whole host of reasons.  You can't honestly have believed that the figure would have stayed at 12,000 if it wasn't for covid???

21 minutes ago, Rossineri said:

Can you still buy tickets for Boxing Day or is it now a 2000 sell out?

Think there are still a few left.

I understand why they did it, to allow a larger percentage of ST holders to see at least 1 game, but if the remainder were made available now to those who had purchased one for another game, they’d be gone almost immediately.

On 21/12/2020 at 21:17, cidered abroad said:

Complete agreement.

I never dreamt when I retired that I would not be there for every game until my lid was screwed down. Now, having been away since February by the virus, I am beginning to doubt whether I will ever go to watch City again. The last three seasons has been dire entertainment, the most boring three seasons since I started in 1950. And that includes the Fourth Division!

Agree mate never thought id feel like this either my mrs said il bet you cant wait to get back i said havent missed it under the latest two managers .

Archived