Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Boxing day : UPDATE Bristol will be in Tier 3


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

When I bought my season ticket COVID was barely here and we definitely didn’t know what impact it was going to have on match attendance for the season ahead. I’m guessing that a lot of those who renewed were in the same boat.  Bought early March and then we went into lockdown shortly after.  
 

I’m not going to the Boxing Day game but only because I’m meeting parents the day after. I do have tickets for Preston however and am looking forward to it, even though Holden clearly has no strategy beyond trying stuff out and hoping for the best,   we are playing like we never saw each other before, and we can’t seem to remember that we need to pass forwards and have shots at the opponents goal.

Always hopeful of improvement, and dream that miracles might happen and that there just might be the remote possibility of some entertaining football somewhere waiting to break out.  

There won’t be any supporters in for the Preston match I’m afraid.  It’ll be either tier 4 for Bristol or full national lockdown well before then.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markcarter said:

There won’t be any supporters in for the Preston match I’m afraid.  It’ll be either tier 4 for Bristol or full national lockdown well before then.

Yeah, I reckon looking at things today that you’ll be right.  Shame, was looking forward to getting back down there even if the football will probably be poor.  
 

I expect Ashton and his chums will probably give me a refund 6 months later, long after they’ve asked for season ticket renewal.  At this rate, we’ll still be getting repaid on this years ST long after they’ve asked for the cash for next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Yeah, I reckon looking at things today that you’ll be right.  Shame, was looking forward to getting back down there even if the football will probably be poor.  
 

I expect Ashton and his chums will probably give me a refund 6 months later, long after they’ve asked for season ticket renewal.  At this rate, we’ll still be getting repaid on this years ST long after they’ve asked for the cash for next year. 

To be fair, the club has recently paid refunds in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think you have to factor in sentiment/expectation though right?

If you've had a couple of awful seasons in L1, with a pretty poor team cobbled together by about 3 different managers fans expectations are very low, and just getting 3 points on the board and a season where you're not still looking down in March is enough to put some kind of smile on our faces. In that situation some poor quality hoofball from a few journeymen pros is just about palatable.

When you've had a massive stadium built, talk of the prem, investment, the much vaunted stability, a higher quality of player both old and young than we've ever seen before and so on - it naturally raises peoples expectations. I think the quality of the football is relative to the quality of players, or where you think you should be... otherwise how can Liverpool every play a "bad" game and Manor Farm ever play a "good" one?

I actually think the great starts we seem to have factor in to this, and if we'd started poorly and ended up in 8th with an outside shot of the playoffs for the last month or two seasons would be looked back on a bit more fondly than when the trend is usually downwards.

So while you're of course right that in absolute terms what we're seeing now is not as bad as those, I can see why it appears that way. Additionally of course time is a great healer... and it's very easy to forget quite how awful some of it was back then!

Thanks. I've seen worse quality over the years. But we now tend to forget that most of the past poor times were because we didn't have much to spend. But at least a very high percentage of those players worked hard for the club.

We now have the most costly squad of players that we have ever had, even allowing for inflation. So it is reasonable to expect more consistent performance and quality than all the free transfers that we relied on in the past.

But we are not seeing this. Most players now seem scared to make mistakes. Three passes after a throw in 5 metres from opponents goal line and its back with our goalkeeper. Really exciting watching that, isn't it?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Be fair, you were buying a season ticket based on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max. I think 12,000 is an unbelievable figure in the circumstances. The point I was making is after every poor display or run of defeats for as long as I can remember people come on the City forum (oh the Irony) to say how much they are not interested in City anymore and that they won't be getting a ST. At the same time our attendances are at a 40 year high. Clearly the vast majority (not all I accept) are just attention seekers/fans who are up and down like yo yos/liars (delete as appropriate).

 

Not at all.

The last game at AG with fans in attendance was Fulham on March 7th.

The deadline to reserve your ST seat for this season was just 1 week later, March 15th, so imo. the vast majority of fans who intended to renew would already have done so before the prospect of any lockdown and inability to attend games was apparent. 

I'm sure that many, like me - it seems perhaps as many as 1 in 5 STH's - simply had no intention of renewing with the prospect of LJ and another season of his appalling football.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not at all.

The last game at AG with fans in attendance was Fulham on March 7th.

The deadline to reserve your ST seat for this season was just 1 week later, March 15th, so imo. the vast majority of fans who intended to renew would already have done so before the prospect of any lockdown and inability to attend games was apparent. 

I'm not sure about this, I missed this game as was flying back from Portugal and the kick off was brought forward

We certainly didn't think there was any kind of lockdown on the horizon at that point, wearing face masks wasn't even a thing at this stage

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure about this, I missed this game as was flying back from Portugal and the kick off was brought forward

We certainly didn't think there was any kind of lockdown on the horizon at that point, wearing face masks wasn't even a thing at this stage

I think many like myself didn’t really give it a lot of thought until the following Friday lunchtime when they suddenly cancelled all football and you suddenly thought this must be serious 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure about this, I missed this game as was flying back from Portugal and the kick off was brought forward

We certainly didn't think there was any kind of lockdown on the horizon at that point, wearing face masks wasn't even a thing at this stage

Indeed not, nor were potential ST purchasers at that time 'buying a ST on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max.'

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed not, nor were potential ST purchasers at that time 'buying a ST on the fact you might get access to 20% of the games max.'

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me - it was obvious that if games were behind closed doors refunds would be given as there`s no way legally the club could not do that.

My refunds will pay for next year`s and I`ll get it on the first day as always.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me

So you'll keep buying your ST every year, on the first day possible, whatever the football is like, whoever the manager is, whether you're enjoying it, or in fact so fed up with the crap football you find going to AG depressing?

Just because you like your seat?

Do you never feel the need to make a stand to let the powers that be at City know that not everything at AG is rosy to your satisfaction?

At least keep them on tenterhooks til day 2!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Are you mystic meg mark?..... 

No.  I’m afraid the latest data on infections and hospitalisations are horrific.  Most of the country is on an exponentially negative curve that already means we will see over the next few weeks more than a thousand people dying each day for a number of days.  There is every chance that this level of infection will mean it becomes impossible for any team to maintain a safe bubble and the league will be suspended during January.  Even if not, measures equivalent to national lockdown will be needed to stop the entire health system grinding to a halt.  Attending football matches won’t be at the top of our minds for some time.  Wycombe will be the last match for attendance for a while.

  • Like 5
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

I see Millwall and now Ipswich have now had games cancelled 

the list seems to be growing longer 

hate to say it but can see football grinding to a halt again 

100% and sooner rather than later

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think many did, as I did, renewed on the first day as I always do. It`s more about keeping it going and not losing my seat for me - it was obvious that if games were behind closed doors refunds would be given as there`s no way legally the club could not do that.

My refunds will pay for next year`s and I`ll get it on the first day as always.

Problem with current developments is that football could be very different next year.  I fear that many clubs will not survive much longer and I don't just mean in the lower leagues. I can see some PL clubs going tits up if I'm honest.

Just now, BigTone said:

Problem with current developments is that football could be very different next year.  I fear that many clubs will not survive much longer and I don't just mean in the lower leagues. I can see some PL clubs going tits up if I'm honest. Sincerely hope I am wrong.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markcarter said:

No.  I’m afraid the latest data on infections and hospitalisations are horrific.  Most of the country is on an exponentially negative curve that already means we will see over the next few weeks more than a thousand people dying each day for a number of days.  There is every chance that this level of infection will mean it becomes impossible for any team to maintain a safe bubble and the league will be suspended during January.  Even if not, measures equivalent to national lockdown will be needed to stop the entire health system grinding to a halt.  Attending football matches won’t be at the top of our minds for some time.  Wycombe will be the last match for attendance for a while.

It’s amazing how some people like you can clearly see a bigger picture and others remain utterly clueless. 

The mutant strain is already in Bristol, national lockdown being muted from Boxing Day and some people still think 2k at the gate on Boxing Day is a good idea.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just for clarification however many of the 92 league sides are currently not playing?

As far as I am aware they all are but my point is that it could change anytime soon. Hope that clarifies my post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

It’s amazing how some people like you can clearly see a bigger picture and others remain utterly clueless. 

The mutant strain is already in Bristol, national lockdown being muted from Boxing Day and some people still think 2k at the gate on Boxing Day is a good idea.

Some are frankly clueless to what this all means.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just for clarification however many of the 92 league sides are currently not playing?

Just to clarify further it seems that as of this evening both Millwall & Ipswich have now postponed games. I think we would all be a tad daft if we thought others won't have to do the same unless we live in a world far away from reality. I fully expect that football is likely to close down again very soon given what we are being told about the new mutated virus. I get the impression that you think otherwise.  Could help our injury list.

Edited by BigTone
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks. I've seen worse quality over the years. But we now tend to forget that most of the past poor times were because we didn't have much to spend. But at least a very high percentage of those players worked hard for the club.

We now have the most costly squad of players that we have ever had, even allowing for inflation. So it is reasonable to expect more consistent performance and quality than all the free transfers that we relied on in the past.

But we are not seeing this. Most players now seem scared to make mistakes. Three passes after a throw in 5 metres from opponents goal line and its back with our goalkeeper. Really exciting watching that, isn't it?

That really pisses me off.  Throw-in ball retention has improved this season believe it or not, but when they do that it’s so unnecessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That really pisses me off.  Throw-in ball retention has improved this season believe it or not, but when they do that it’s so unnecessary.

Any backpass to a keeper unless absolutely necessary pisses me off TBH.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Any backpass to a keeper unless absolutely necessary pisses me off TBH.

The thing that winds me up more than anything. Player just inside his own half, passes to keeper for him to lump down the pitch. Quite often the pass back is 20-30 yards, that means the keeper has to kick it 20-30 yards further than the other guy. Completely pointless. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not at all.

The last game at AG with fans in attendance was Fulham on March 7th.

The deadline to reserve your ST seat for this season was just 1 week later, March 15th, so imo. the vast majority of fans who intended to renew would already have done so before the prospect of any lockdown and inability to attend games was apparent. 

I'm sure that many, like me - it seems perhaps as many as 1 in 5 STH's - simply had no intention of renewing with the prospect of LJ and another season of his appalling football.

 

 

 

Absolute nonsense and you know it. Lots of season ticket holders purchase their tickets later than March for a whole host of reasons.  You can't honestly have believed that the figure would have stayed at 12,000 if it wasn't for covid???

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rossineri said:

Can you still buy tickets for Boxing Day or is it now a 2000 sell out?

Think there are still a few left.

I understand why they did it, to allow a larger percentage of ST holders to see at least 1 game, but if the remainder were made available now to those who had purchased one for another game, they’d be gone almost immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • phantom changed the title to Boxing day : UPDATE Bristol will be in Tier 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...