IGNORED

Holloway resigns on Twitter

Dastardly and Muttley

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Didn't they just beat their rivals Scunny?

Yep.

Played 7 league games this month, lost 5 & drew 1 of the others, that was the only win, the draw was v Mansfield, who are below them.

Beaten 3-1 by Southend last week, who were well adrift at the bottom a fortnight ago, Grimsby are 5th bottom.

Unless any context is ever revealed about the potential new owners tried having with him then it’ll always come off as a bit convenient of a reason to leave and abandon ship IMO. For anyone knows it could be a case of they were giving him assurances of his position or saying should we assume control what are your plans for January?

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

Played 7 league games this month, lost 5 & drew 1 of the others, that was the only win, the draw was v Mansfield, who are below them.

Beaten 3-1 by Southend last week, who were well adrift at the bottom a fortnight ago, Grimsby are 5th bottom.

And beaten by Bradford last night who were in the relegation zone a week or so ago.

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

Oh I see. So, let's just get this straight... Holloway's not the ideal candidate to replace Holden and take City to the promised land?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Didn't he put £100,000 of his own money into the club?

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know he is a shareholder. Bit surprised by this.

From an interview with him;

My decision to join Grimsby Town as manager this week means the start of an exciting new adventure for me and my wife Kim.

And to prove our commitment to the challenge I have invested £100,000 to buy shares in the club, which means a place on the board as well as in the hot-seat.

I believe that could prove a shrewd business move if I can take the team to a higher level and plans to move to a new ground go through.

But for the moment it is a clear signal of my intent to be with Grimsby long-term. I am not going to agree to sack myself and my intention is to be with the Mariners for a lot longer than the period of my initial two-year contract.

Kim and I have already house-hunted for somewhere to rent for ourselves and our four dogs and will try to find a suitable property to buy in the Grimsby area.

I still hope to carry on with some of the media work I have been doing since my last job in management and look forward to continuing this column.

But I can’t express how excited I feel about being directly involved in the game I love again after an absence of more than 18 months, my longest time out of it since my playing career began.

• Admin
1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Have not followed things at Grimsby in detail but it seems some odd characters are trying to take control over the club offering investment. John Fenty (biggest owner) even had to give up his political appointments due involvement with one of the bandits.

He has left as well

The majority shaerholder of North-East Lincolnshire League Two Grimsby Town, John Fenty, has sold his shares in the club, according to a statement on its website.

The new owner of the Mariners is unclear, but the move marks another step in a shambolic month for the Mariners on and off the pitch. A consortium led by Tom Shutes has long held an interest in buying the club.

Immediately before the statement appeared, manager Ian Holloway took to Twitter to announce he was leaving the club, saying that he was resigning after hearing that Fenty was set to sell his stake.

He said: “New wannabe owners are hovering over GTFC and John has told me he is selling his stake in the club. So it’s time for a fresh start across the board for this great club.

“Contact was made by the new owners to me on several occasions before the takeover, which I felt was inappropriate, and told them as such. This is the key factor in my decision.”

Grimsby Town said in a statement: “It is with great sadness and disappointment that Ian Holloway has made his intentions absolutely clear that with John Fenty agreeing to sell his shares, he does not want to remain at the club without progressing with the people that he came here to work with.

• Admin

The deputy leader of North East Lincolnshire Council has stepped down from his role after reports revealed he had business links with a convicted fraudster.

Conservatve Councillor John Fenty, who was also cabinet member for Regeneration, Skills and Housing, had set up a business with Alex May, who was previously convicted and jailed for six years for his part in a multi-million pound scam.

Councillor Fenty said the pair were no longer business partners. The company they had set up, Town Centre Living Ltd, had not even started trading yet.

He helped see his party to office in North East Lincolnshire for the first time in the 2019 general election and sat on the first wholly Conservative cabinet in the borough’s history.

John Fenty is also a majority shareholder for Grimsby Town FC.

In a statement, Councillor Fenty said he had reflected on the recent reports and the impact on his party and the local authority.

“I have taken the decision in the best interests of all concerned and to avoid an unwarranted distraction to the enormous progress being made in the borough,” he said.

“I’m proud to have played my part in that progress and the re-invigorated spirit the area now has in itself, a spirit I’m confident will continue to burn bright under a Conservative administration.”

He went on to praise a “sea-change in the ambition to re-build  the economy after years of struggle” which he said would “continue to bear fruit in the future”.

He also thanked council employees for their support.

“My decision today will allow me to focus more on my other business activities and the football club I’m passionate about. I have been meticulous in declaring any conflicts of interests throughout my time as a councillor and can hold my head up high,” he said.

“However, I’m not prepared to let matters in my private business life become a drain on the administration’s effort to make this borough a great place to live work and play.”

He said he had “great regret and sadness” over the decision and said it had “been my greatest privilege to undertake”.

Archived