IGNORED

Why isn't Tomas Kalas a Premier League player?

Prinny

There's usually a key reason why a player isn't at the top level. It's usually really obvious too. Whether inconsistency, or age, or history of injury or concentration. So what is it with Tomas Kalas? Because I'm not sure.

I was thinking if anyone goes higher up the pyramid in January it's Bentley if he keeps his form up, but is Kalas our second "best" player? Second most valuable? Or is it someone else? Maybe someone takes a punt on the potential of Semenyo or Bakinson. 

So what is it about Kalas that meant he ended up playing and staying for us? Or do you think he'd be fine if (:rofl2br:) we went up?

Edit - I want to add that he's probably my favourite player at the moment, and very happy he's a part of our team.

15 minutes ago, Prinny said:

There's usually a key reason why a player isn't at the top level. It's usually really obvious too. Whether inconsistency, or age, or history of injury or concentration. So what is it with Tomas Kalas? Because I'm not sure.

I was thinking if anyone goes higher up the pyramid in January it's Bentley if he keeps his form up, but is Kalas our second "best" player? Second most valuable? Or is it someone else? Maybe someone takes a punt on the potential of Semenyo or Bakinson. 

So what is it about Kalas that meant he ended up playing and staying for us? Or do you think he'd be fine if (:rofl2br:) we went up?

Edit - I want to add that he's probably my favourite player at the moment, and very happy he's a part of our team.

Because he plays for us ?

9 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

City fans always underestimate and doubt City players going into Prem

Joe Bryan and Fulham just the last two to prove the doubters wrong as with Brownhill

Kalas as easily as good as Kelly was and as Webster is so I'm sure he would be fine in a good Prem team, maybe not at Sheff Utd

To be fair Joey Bryan looked completely out of his depth first season in the Prem. Havent seen much of him this season

12 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Joe Bryan and Fulham just the last two to prove the doubters wrong as with Brownhill

Kalas as easily as good as Kelly was and as Webster is so I'm sure he would be fine in a good Prem team, maybe not at Sheff Utd

Kalas is nowhere near as good as Webster.

Frankly it’s opportunity and it’s not limited to Kalas either, if you’ve not had the chance to play at that level you don’t know whether you’d sink or swim, could just suit premier league football well, or play well alongside another player if bought by the right team to show what they can do.

How often do you see players from promoted teams or players plucked from championship/lower surprise in the division? Max Kilman at Wolves for example, got to the club from futsal, if he started lower no guarantee he’d have played well in lower leagues to work upward. 

I’d say half of the championship could play in the prem at a passable level. A lot of it is opportunity. Kalas never got a real chance at the level. He was always more than good enough but ended up here. I also think he is smaller in stature that what you would typically see in England and that may have gone against him at times. 

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Frankly it’s opportunity and it’s not limited to Kalas either, if you’ve not had the chance to play at that level you don’t know whether you’d sink or swim, could just suit premier league football well, or play well alongside another player if bought by the right team to show what they can do.

How often do you see players from promoted teams or players plucked from championship/lower surprise in the division? Max Kilman at Wolves for example, got to the club from futsal, if he started lower no guarantee he’d have played well in lower leagues to work upward. 

Kilman had a spell at Maidenhead, my local team, where he looked pretty decent but raw. No way would I have thought that he was good enough to be a regular Prem starter, but good luck to the lad.

42 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Bryan rarely gets a game does he?

59 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Bryan is out of his depth in the Prem. Brownhill has done OK.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Bryan is out of his depth in the Prem. Brownhill has done OK.

Or is it Fulham who are out their depth? Or both? 

Or maybe it's just us City fans who are out of our depth commenting on the Premiership in general having never experienced it?

Blooming complicated this soccer lark.

I think a lot of fans have a view of prem footballers being near perfect which is far from reality. Kalas could easily play in the prem if he wanted to be a bit part player in a relegation threatened team every season. 

I am concerned that he is regressing while here to be honest, he doesn't look as big, strong or fast as when he first arrived, I know he was ill/injured for a while last season and I wonder if he has fully recovered yet.

Tomas Kalas, on his day, when he is fit, is one of the classiest defenders in this division.

He’s had injury problems and he’s also having to play in a defence that needs nurturing (Vyner, Moore and Rowe when LCB), so that could detract from his own game.

He could be one of those players who is trying to do too much as captain rather than play his own game.

Would be good to see Mawson / Kalas / Baker line-up at some point.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Bryan rarely gets a game does he?

More to do with how impressive Robinson has been rather than any JB failings 

Dont get the wish to ‘down’ Joe Bryan on here (Not aimed at your comment) - Hes already had a career and moments all of us could only dream of, and especially considering his mh issues he’s done fantastically well to achieve what he has and get where he’s got.

Got slated by some on here,  but has achieved far more than %99 of  players who have played in a City shirt , have gone onto in the last 40/50 years

Also a very decent lad - so personally always pleased when he does well 

I seem to remember a young Kalas making his Chelsea debut (I think) at Anfield in the game with Gerrards infamous slip. He was brilliant that day didn’t put a foot wrong so I was slightly surprised when he initially dropped down to the championship. 

8 hours ago, BITW said:

I seem to remember a young Kalas making his Chelsea debut (I think) at Anfield in the game with Gerrards infamous slip. He was brilliant that day didn’t put a foot wrong so I was slightly surprised when he initially dropped down to the championship. 

Yep. Was about to post the same. 
Kalas played in what’s possibly one of the most infamous Prem games of the last 10 years. 
Whilst he may not be a Prem regular, he’s certainly got that game on his CV. 

Alex typical. 

Ask any Fulham fan, ie who went to games when allowed and who watches all games now, and they will all tell you he is superb, has speed, strength and two great shooting feet. Every Bristol City fan knows he has been the best LB, LWB the club has ever had and that includes Kelly, JD, Rowe et Al. 

Brownhill isn't just doing OK, he is doing really, really well. To get into a first choice Dyche team so easily is remarkable 

He also has the best tackle stats at Turf Moor and every Bristol City fan knows his energy and shooting skills. 

And Bobby Reid should soon be on the verge of the England squad - now those three views fly in the face of so many on this forum who were rapid fire knocking these three after one less than perfect game. Maybe its just City fans on here who are a loud and tiny minority of City fans. 

Or maybe it's just that 2,if not 3 of these players all got given their leap upwards by a certain top manager we had for 4years: one who not everyone on here has yet learned to appreciate.

Happy Xmas, Happy Reds

13 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Alex typical. 

Ask any Fulham fan, ie who went to games when allowed and who watches all games now, and they will all tell you he is superb, has speed, strength and two great shooting feet. Every Bristol City fan knows he has been the best LB, LWB the club has ever had and that includes Kelly, JD, Rowe et Al. 

Brownhill isn't just doing OK, he is doing really, really well. To get into a first choice Dyche team so easily is remarkable 

He also has the best tackle stats at Turf Moor and every Bristol City fan knows his energy and shooting skills. 

And Bobby Reid should soon be on the verge of the England squad - now those three views fly in the face of so many on this forum who were rapid fire knocking these three after one less than perfect game. Maybe its just City fans on here who are a loud and tiny minority of City fans. 

Or maybe it's just that 2,if not 3 of these players all got given their leap upwards by a certain top manager we had for 4years: one who not everyone on here has yet learned to appreciate.

Happy Xmas, Happy Reds

I can promise you that Bobby Reid won't get an England call up .

Archived