IGNORED

Walls for free kicks

wendyredredrobin

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I've always said having a wall is ineffective.  We should be the first to stop building them.  Take note Dean Holden and break away from herd mentality:

https://mol.im/a/9083353

Ive always said this. Let the keeper see the ball coming from the full 25 yards, or whatever, and he will hardly ever concede.

On the same logic does this mean we shouldn't try to close down shots from 25 yards as well? (We do seem to have conceded a ridiculous number of deflections this year).

The research is interesting but totally one sided and seems counter-intuitive to me. No stats on what happens if there is no wall - not a thing. 

I don’t buy that.  A) the wall may block the free kick; B) the wall may force the taker to put the ball wide.  Yes, the keeper is less likely to save it if it goes through the wall and is on target, but that only happens in a proportion of kicks.  Not having a wall is tantamount to making every free kick near the box a penalty.  Typical Daily Mail misinformation.

proSo take away the ball and allow a player to just blast the ball at goal from 19 yards instead? The problem is keepers positioning themselves too far to one side, all you need is a slightest split in the middle, barely a foot, to give the keeper sight of the ball and stay in the middle.

Archived