IGNORED

Guardian 100 best players in the world

Unan

3 hours ago, CityBS15 said:

The guardian [puke]

Whether you agree with their politics or not, the article and list is interesting including the votes given

240 judges across many platforms and far wider than just the guardian themselves

Lewandowski was a huge winner. 217/240 judges picked him first. 

There is a bias for forward players which is a bit grating but interesting to see the general view of best right back, left back etc on the list. 

These judges watch a lot more European football than all of us so it’s an informative read.  A few surprises but generally a good list I’d say. 

Wipe up your sick and give it a read 

11 hours ago, IAmNick said:

8 of the top 10 are forwards - must be some kind of bias there. Perhaps easier to quantify their contribution?

Exactly this. List like this mean nothing irrespective of who the panel are. How can you compare a striker to a right back. At least split it down by position.

Anyway, Merry Christmas one and all!

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly this. List like this mean nothing irrespective of who the panel are. How can you compare a striker to a right back. At least split it down by position.

Anyway, Merry Christmas one and all!

Strikers always stand out because they are the ones who most often achieve the aim of the game - scoring goals. Might seem unfair on other players but as we have proven this season, if you can’t score you don’t win matches...

The rag. It promised Trump would be impeached within weeks, he lasted 4yrs and (almost) got re-elected. They supported that has-been JC (who is still thinking about apologising to the race he despises and thinking which way he might vote if there an EU referendum. 

The rag can stand our illustrious and successful leader, has seen its readership drop to less than 1.5% of UK papers and so I wouldn't believe a word they say. Probably Messi in 3rd with Smash n grab joint first. 

Rag for sags

57 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

The rag. It promised Trump would be impeached within weeks, he lasted 4yrs and (almost) got re-elected. They supported that has-been JC (who is still thinking about apologising to the race he despises and thinking which way he might vote if there an EU referendum. 

The rag can stand our illustrious and successful leader, has seen its readership drop to less than 1.5% of UK papers and so I wouldn't believe a word they say. Probably Messi in 3rd with Smash n grab joint first. 

Rag for sags

They absolutely detested and worked against Corbyn by undermining him wherever they could. :laugh: They obviously backed Labour in the GE on the whole, but they weren't pro Corbyn at all as he was far to left for them. 

List was interesting btw! 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Rag for sags

Which illustrious and successful leader is that? Dean Holden? 

5 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Vardy at 35 seems mad at face value, but clearly rated very highly by his peers.

Would love to see him back in the England fold.

Why's it mad?  He's one of the best strikers in europe and has been for 5 years.  

If you want to see what is wrong with the list compare 29 and 30. Sancho at 29 is actually mad.  He's done absolutely double **** all this year. Just goes to show too many people look at 'promise' rather than actual performance.  David Alaba on the other hand is a hugely impressive player, vital to the best team in the world.  Of similar standing to Virgil Van Dyk.  

Looking at who chose the list it's mostly journos. So not exactly being chosen by people who understand the game, rather they are adept at talking about it and creating a narrative which is what Sancho's write up is all about.

Honestly I reckon if I could pick one, just one human, to play football for my team, to give my team the overall best chance of winning...I reckon i'd go for Hueng Min Son. One or two years ago it's Portuguese Ronaldo but right now I reckon Son is the best all-around, pound-for-pound footballer.

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Why's it mad?  He's one of the best strikers in europe and has been for 5 years.  

If you want to see what is wrong with the list compare 29 and 30. Sancho at 29 is actually mad.  He's done absolutely double **** all this year. Just goes to show too many people look at 'promise' rather than actual performance.  David Alaba on the other hand is a hugely impressive player, vital to the best team in the world.  Of similar standing to Virgil Van Dyk.  

Looking at who chose the list it's mostly journos. So not exactly being chosen by people who understand the game, rather they are adept at talking about it and creating a narrative which is what Sancho's write up is all about.

I agree with you completely it just seems weird reading vardy as one of the best in the world even though its true. Maybe because of his more humble path to the top.

Disagree however with your point about journalists not understanding the game, many of those people are scholars of football. I often enjoy listening to journalists talk about football than ex-players who may have played the game but no nothing about it. 

Archived