IGNORED

Wycombe Wanderers (h) - 15:00 Boxing Day 2020 - Matchday thread

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Great strike today

But not good enough if we want to step up a level

IMHO

Just because Wells or others arnt cutting it , it doesn’t make FD a better player

Fair enough its all about opinions. Think we need to be more concerned with conserving our level at the moment personally given the performances of late and Fam is performing better than most. God knows who wed get to replace him atm. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Fair enough its all about opinions. Think we need to be more concerned with conserving our level at the moment personally given the performances of late and Fam is performing better than most. God knows who wed get to replace him atm. 

Long term, to get promotion, he isn’t good enough but I think you could claim he is our best striker right now!

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agreed. For me talk of stepping up a level is premature. We need to thrive at this level first. I reckon Fam has what it takes to be a decent Championship squad player. Thinking back we've had plenty of players that helped make us competitive at a lower level that were never going to step up, but did a job - the likes of Darren Byfield, Kevin Betsy, Phil Jeavons, Steve Brooker.

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Didn’t watch the whole match but Fam’s strike was worthy of winning any game. Guess it was more of the same dire stuff, despite eight days’ off? 

First half was ok. Should have been clear but awful touch from Wells, Semenyo off the line and Martin missed a sitter. Second half was garbage.

23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

First half was ok. Should have been clear but awful touch from Wells, Semenyo off the line and Martin missed a sitter. Second half was garbage.

! agree, but you have to bear in mind what Tins said about them being tired (yes I know some will say we were poor for a long time ) but it does make some sense.I'm not a DH apologist but we ARE down to the bear bones, we just need to ride out the storm till a few more bodies become available .

18 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

! agree, but you have to bear in mind what Tins said about them being tired (yes I know some will say we were poor for a long time ) but it does make some sense.I'm not a DH apologist but we ARE down to the bear bones, we just need to ride out the storm till a few more bodies become available .

I don’t disagree on the tiredness aspect except to say that only one area of the pitch was causing us problems today which Holden, belatedly imo, fixed with the introduction of Dave and Edward’s.

17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Agreed. I know things aren't perfect but as Boxing Day's go, City won, Rovers lost. Woo hoo! Maybe some of you just need to pour yourselves a drink and chill out. (Hic!)

Said on another thread how I enjoyed seeing COD bomb down the left. One of the most pleasing things for me today, it happened to be just before the goal, Rowe holds the ball long enough to make the FB close him and leave COD. That meant he had plenty of space to run into and attack for the cross when Rowe feeds him.851539619_Screenshot2020-12-26at19_36_04.png.14646704ff6eec2e19781d2742697a40.png

I think that would be an effective partnership on the left. Rowe likes to cut inside and COD looked good going outside onto his best foot.

Nagy and Kalas were immense, but too many players did some good balanced by some bad. Vyner is the only other I'd say did well without too many mistakes. Bakinson was at times brilliant, first time balls & through balls constantly moving us forward. But too often he switches off or relaxes and gets caught in possession. Vyner has been like that so I just think it's games he needs.
Semenyo can look clumsy, but today some of the runs were great. The chance that was cleared he did nearly everything right, bit unlucky. 
Martin annoys me, at the moment I not sure he brings enough to the team. Should have done better from COD's through ball, but I think he may have been surprised to get the ball when the defender missed it, defender does attempt a header so needed good first touch. I still think he could have got a shot away, but set AS up with a reasonable shooting chance, albeit when defence was back.

497902144_Screenshot2020-12-26at20_01_48.png.d17553d2e80f9489b7d7e58517b30dcc.png

Wells looks lost. Great run and ball by Semanyo and Wells chokes the shot, two through balls he gives up on when it looked like he could get closer. Worst was the first touch when it looked like he was clear on goal. So bad it didn't make the highlights.
Fam's injury meant he was impact sub again. TBH that is a good role for him, I would still start him Tuesday if he's 100%

So for me , Tuesday I would play the same formation but a couple of changes. I'd rest Semenyo and Wells, I'd play Fam and move COD to left of the front 3. That is supposing Fam is fit enough. I would bring in HNM to make up the MF3 and give Bakinson a little more licence to get forward

That said with our luck, Vyner will be out for weeks, Fam would have made his injury worse, Hunts knock will flare up and we will passed our bare bones.

We really needed that 2nd goal, would have been more comfortable then- longer it went on at 1-0, more they grew and we wilted- injuries didn't help.

Positives to take:

1. Kalas was strong at the back.
  2. Goal for Martin!
  3. Assist for Edwards
  4. Assist for O'Dowda
  5. Great strike by Diedhiou

That's about it really, Vyner and O'Dowda being injured, another to add to the negative column.

I suppose another thing worth noting is Wycombe, not since their early out of depth and overwhelmed days in this League, though they get beaten often, they don't often get beaten heavily- not since the early stages of the season anyway.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We really needed that 2nd goal, would have been more comfortable then- longer it went on at 1-0, more they grew and we wilted- injuries didn't help.

Positives to take:

1. Kalas was strong at the back.
  2. Goal for Martin!
  3. Assist for Edwards
  4. Assist for O'Dowda
  5. Great strike by Diedhiou

That's about it really, Vyner and O'Dowda being injured, another to add to the negative column.

I suppose another thing worth noting is Wycombe, not since their early out of depth and overwhelmed days in this League, though they get beaten often, they don't often get beaten heavily- not since the early stages of the season anyway.

Wycombe usually play better than they did today....they were all over the place positionally in both halves.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Are we shit though, because "we're tired;" or are we "tired," because we're shit? 

Archived