IGNORED

Total Sh1te - Holden out now!

old_eastender

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The performance and football (lack of it) played out there today was very poor.  Pleased for the win, but that is nowhere near good enough.  The 11 picked is perfectly capable of playing better than that.  They didn’t.  We got away with it.  Were second best most of the second half.  Too many players run away from the passer.  Basics!

Agreed. To those saying we were good, I’d say you’ve let your standards drop. We can play better, even with all the injuries. There was very little passing between teammates, but a lot of hit and hope. Not entertaining, but gave us 3 points. 

4 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

with all our problems to be 3 points from fifth place is good , i think next month onwards we will have more players for selection and things will improve

I wouldn't bank too much on that. Let's leave aside the number of times we were told Walsh and Williams would be back in 2 weeks.

But since then we were told players would be back in January.

Then it became mid to late January. Then, actually, some would be February.

Now it seems Dasilva and Paterson are out indefinitely and, worse, we hope Williams might play this season.

So perhaps we might get 1 or 2 back by the end of January, which may not make a big difference.

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Three grateful points.

I watched Bristol Rugby win at Harlequins. Very good second half performance.

Watched Villa demolish Palace. 

Didn't think it worth ten quid to watch only second half. Could not get RB commentary on radio as only on DAB, I think, and can't get that here in Burnham.

Did I miss anything? From reading above, a resounding no.

I did the same.

Think we need Pat Lam to tell our team, there’s two doors.

Yeah, loads of injuries but we’ve got a very samey squad of players in terms of quality so I’m not expecting those that come back to turn us into auto-promotion challengers. Academy products should be stepping up but we seem to have none that are going to change things...aside from possibly Pring coming back from Pompey soon. 

Frankly, we’re miles off. ..and then some.

We need winners and fighters in our squad. We have two who are top 6 level, Bents and Kalas. Possibly Adam too. We have no creative spark, no identity or playing plan. Just not good enough. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I feel sorry for Wells, constantly played out of position to accommodate Semenyo who gets worse each game and doesn't look like he could hit a barn door! 

One player tries, looks like a bloody handful at times and can’t yet hit a barn door, the other ***** up one on ones, is pretty good at pointing and moaning, then disappears up his own arse. 

You can coach one, but you can’t do much with poor attitude. I’d forgive the billy big bollocks if there was the occasional delivery, but there’s not even that.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The performance and football (lack of it) played out there today was very poor.  Pleased for the win, but that is nowhere near good enough.  The 11 picked is perfectly capable of playing better than that.  They didn’t.  We got away with it.  Were second best most of the second half.  Too many players run away from the passer.  Basics!

And regardless of the injuries, Holden’s paid to get the basics right. They’re professional footballers and there’s no excuse for not getting that right.

We might be getting away with it for now, but the longer Holden’s at the helm the deeper I suspect the rot will set in. These are alarm bells, not for this season but for next.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I am repeating myself but our front three let us down today. Is that Holden’s fault? They missed sitters and then handed the initiative to Wycombe by continuously giving the ball away. Had they done their jobs properly we would have won comfortably and wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Nail on head for me. We could  / should have been 3-0 just after half time.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Personally thought the first half wasnt too bad. If Martin scores to make it 2-0 suddenly its a totally different game. He doesnt so we limp through to half time. Minutes into the second half we have a glorious opportunity to make it 2-0 (Can't remember now if it was Semenyo or Wells that shot instead of sliding a pass across the 6 yard line for  a tap in). At that moment heads went down and it was just a matter of time until they equalised. Fine margins indeed. 

Did well to get 3 points from an awful last 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I wouldn't bank too much on that. Let's leave aside the number of times we were told Walsh and Williams would be back in 2 weeks.

But since then we were told players would be back in January.

Then it became mid to late January. Then, actually, some would be February.

Now it seems Dasilva and Paterson are out indefinitely and, worse, we hope Williams might play this season.

So perhaps we might get 1 or 2 back by the end of January, which may not make a big difference.

I’m sure Tinnion said that Mawson and Baker are back training on grass. That’s not a bad start.

Well, another poor performance but we got the job done in the end. Happy with 3 points and to remain in the playoff chase, but the performance was of the same standard as the previous 20. Not convincing at all, but we huffed and puffed to get the job done. Holden isn’t going anywhere, so we’re going to have to ride the rest of the season out.

Fingers crossed we see Palmer and Pring come back in and strengthen in some key areas, they certainly can’t lower the standard at the minute!

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Personally thought the first half wasnt too bad. If Martin scores to make it 2-0 suddenly its a totally different game. He doesnt so we limp through to half time. Minutes into the second half we have a glorious opportunity to make it 2-0 (Can't remember now if it was Semenyo or Wells that shot instead of sliding a pass across the 6 yard line for  a tap in). At that moment heads went down and it was just a matter of time until they equalised. Fine margins indeed. 

Did well to get 3 points from an awful last 40 minutes.

Exactly. Semenyo is a great player and gives us a higher intensity but wants to hit the cover off the ball when he shoots and invariably cocks it up!!

Tinman said today, he’s been told and told, but it still hasn’t sunk in. It will and when it does we wont be putting ourselves under pressure as much.

We simply don’t seem to know how to get Wells in, whatever we do, Martin is immense and Fammy got us out of jail again. But The longer we go without burying the game the worse we look.

With the players we have out, we just need to hang in there with what we have fit, the bed wetting, whining, childish Holden out threads are exactly that!

It hurts us all when we lose or don’t play that well, but we are buggered with injuries and having to find a way to grind it out for at least another game.

Its pretty clear Odowda Hunt and Vyner are all 50/50 at best for Luton. This likely to mean Edwards, who nobody has mentioned got the assist for Fammy with a neat touch and one more full league debut away at Luton. Think about that!....

There was a twitter thread saying that Holden was meeting Ashton which was clearly true, however the likelihood was more about transfers in the window rather than any question of being fired as some on the twatersphere seemed to think/hope!

There are lots of interesting points on this thread but the thing that has stuck out here for me is this:

There seems to be a pretty negative tone towards Nahki Wells, and resounding support for Antoine Semenyo (when the two are spoken about in the same context). We are currently discussing selling or shipping out a £5million-something proven goalscorer, who joined us when he was the league’s top marksman, from a Premier League club, because we need fancy Semenyo’s “passion and drive and potential”. I like both players, but Antoine is yet to hit the net for us, and Wells is an international seasoned pro with a pedigree. Who really should we be building the side around right now if we want to kick on?

Wells looks disillusioned, sulky and borderline irritated. Ask yourself, is this an irrational thing for him? Signed no doubt to be our main man in the promotion push? He is playing left wing for a counter-attacking, shot-shy, struggling outfit! 

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

There are lots of interesting points on this thread but the thing that has stuck out here for me is this:

There seems to be a pretty negative tone towards Nahki Wells, and resounding support for Antoine Semenyo (when the two are spoken about in the same context). We are currently discussing selling or shipping out a £5million-something proven goalscorer, who joined us when he was the league’s top marksman, from a Premier League club, because we need fancy Semenyo’s “passion and drive and potential”. I like both players, but Antoine is yet to hit the net for us, and Wells is an international seasoned pro with a pedigree. Who really should we be building the side around right now if we want to kick on?

Wells looks disillusioned, sulky and borderline irritated. Ask yourself, is this an irrational thing for him? Signed no doubt to be our main man in the promotion push? He is playing left wing for a counter-attacking, shot-shy, struggling outfit! 

Wells was the worst player in the side today. He was more central today and didn’t produce. What his excuse for that? He was nice and central when Bakinson found him with an absolute beauty of a pass and his touch was a pass back to the keeper. Irritated? About 20k of fans were bloody irritated alright!!

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. Semenyo is a great player and gives us a higher intensity but wants to hit the cover off the ball when he shoots and invariably cocks it up!!

Tinman said today, he’s been told and told, but it still hasn’t sunk in. It will and when it does we wont be putting ourselves under pressure as much.

We simply don’t seem to know how to get Wells in, whatever we do, Martin is immense and Fammy got us out of jail again. But The longer we go without burying the game the worse we look.

With the players we have out, we just need to hang in there with what we have fit, the bed wetting, whining, childish Holden out threads are exactly that!

It hurts us all when we lose or don’t play that well, but we are buggered with injuries and having to find a way to grind it out for at least another game.

Its pretty clear Odowda Hunt and Vyner are all 50/50 at best for Luton. This likely to mean Edwards, who nobody has mentioned got the assist for Fammy with a neat touch and one more full league debut away at Luton. Think about that!....

There was a twitter thread saying that Holden was meeting Ashton which was clearly true, however the likelihood was more about transfers in the window rather than any question of being fired as some on the twatersphere seemed to think/hope!

Why would the idea of Holden meeting with Ashton to discuss his position be so ludicrous?

The board appointed him on the basis that he was the best man for the job to get a top 6 position. Our current form and performances would suggest this is in jeopardy.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Wells was the worst player in the side today. He was more central today and didn’t produce. What his excuse for that? He was nice and central when Bakinson found him with an absolute beauty of a pass and his touch was a pass back to the keeper. Irritated? About 20k of fans were bloody irritated alright!!

Appreciate that but he is clearly out of nick. Mood and being settled and valued helps. Despite this he is still the best finisher in the club pound for pound, thats pretty hard to argue against.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Why would the idea of Holden meeting with Ashton to discuss his position be so ludicrous?

The board appointed him on the basis that he was the best man for the job to get a top 6 position. Our current form and performances would suggest this is in jeopardy.

If the Board genuinely believe this squad is top 6 material then they are even more bonkers than I thought.

11 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Because he is cobbling together a team....Do keep up!

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Because he is cobbling together a team....Do keep up!

Do keep up? Cobbling a team together? He isn’t grabbing a few blokes off the downs to fill in my old mate, these are all professional footballers that are being deployed rather poorly.

We have lost to Rotherham, Millwall, Birmingham and scraped by Wycombe in the last few weeks and you are lauding him. Keep up mind! Wow.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I admire you for calling for the managers head after a win. It’s the sort of thing i’d do.

There are warning signs out there though, but sacking him would be as unfair As when mid table Saints sacked Nigel Atkins and appointed Poch!

If you could guarantee the “success” that Poch brought to saints by replacing Holden now then I’d go with it.

However, footballs not that simple and the decision would, quite rightly, be criticised by a lot of fans and neutrals  alike. Just like Southampton’s decision was by many on here.

27 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

It's total wibble.

Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it any less mental.

Archived