IGNORED

Wells and Semenyo

Numero Uno

They aren’t bad players, I’m not saying that, but the pair of them almost cost us the game today. If you’re going to miss easy chances that’s one thing, it happens. To continually lose possession of the ball meaning our midfield and back four are ridiculously overworked against easily the worst side in the division just isn’t on. The pair of them need benching after that shambolic effort.

Fam comes on and we see a bit of fight up there. Edward’s comes on and he retains the bloody ball. Result? We get the winner we should never have had to score in the bloody first place!!

Just now, JonDolman said:

Thought Semenyo was superb at times in that second half. So frustrating with his finishing. Has to learn to compose himself. I still think he will one day be able to improve in that area. Young players often need to improve at parts of their game and if he can do that with his finishing and maybe work on his first touch being a bit more consistent, he will be amazing. Always a starter for me.

Wells has been poor in most games he has played. That clean through chance was terrible. What a ball to him and an awful touch.

To be fair as a team we did actually have quite a number of chances today. Not that I will give them too much credit as Wycombe were surprisingly coming at us. I am more looking to see us create chances consistently rather than this one game against bottom of the league.

Dont think he was superb at any point. Did one or two good runs and then ruined it with either a poor decision or a poorly executed pass....if you want to be a championship player you need to limit this.....happens far too often.

Dont like Wells, points moans and shouts but when he has a job to do he goes missing too often.

Maybe he thinks he is top dog at the club.

You could hear the frustration in Tinnion’s voice with Semenyo. His finishing is pony, Tinnion explained why and also pointed out that the kid has been told why and it isn’t changing.

However if the three of them up there keep possession of the ball we don’t have to go hunting for a winner later in the game and the missed chances are forgiven. They didn’t and had it not been for Edward’s and Dave this place would be in meltdown and the squad would be on the floor, confidence wise, right now.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Dont think he was superb at any point. Did one or two good runs and then ruined it with either a poor decision or a poorly executed pass....if you want to be a championship player you need to limit this.....happens far too often.

Dont like Wells, points moans and shouts but when he has a job to do he goes missing too often.

Wells wasn’t even worth a wage today tbh.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You could hear the frustration in Tinnion’s voice with Semenyo. His finishing is pony, Tinnion explained why and also pointed out that the kid has been told why and it isn’t changing.

However if the three of them up there keep possession of the ball we don’t have to go hunting for a winner later in the game and the missed chances are forgiven. They didn’t and had it not been for Edward’s and Dave this place would be in meltdown and the squad would be on the floor, confidence wise, right now.

Wells wasn’t even worth a wage today tbh.

True re Tinnion rare you get someone on BCFC stream that displays any sense of negativity towards the club. I thought he was poor today.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Semenyo was superb at times in that second half. So frustrating with his finishing. Has to learn to compose himself. I still think he will one day be able to improve in that area. Young players often need to improve at parts of their game and if he can do that with his finishing and maybe work on his first touch being a bit more consistent, he will be amazing. Always a starter for me.

Wells has been poor in most games he has played. That clean through chance was terrible. What a ball to him and an awful touch.

To be fair as a team we did actually have quite a number of chances today. Not that I will give them too much credit as Wycombe were surprisingly coming at us. I am more looking to see us create chances consistently rather than this one game against bottom of the league.

Superb??

Cant hit a barn door

Did not put a single cross in

Did not beat his man on the outside Once

One decent pass in 90 mins

Runs at players in his own half

At best 5 or 6/10 

Overrated as he is an academy player

Wells was poor. 
Bit harsh on Semenyo though, who had 2 or 3 really good moments. Just needs to get a bit of composure. 
He was actually unlucky for the one that was cleared off the line - did everything right with that one. 

Just now, Harry said:

Wells was poor. 
Bit harsh on Semenyo though, who had 2 or 3 really good moments. Just needs to get a bit of composure. 
He was actually unlucky for the one that was cleared off the line - did everything right with that one. 

Agree with your last point but you cannot constantly lose possession at this level as they did second half. Even opposition as limited as Wycombe will punish you.....they are pro’s after all!!

Wells has not be interested since day one, absolutely did not want to come here. 

Semenyo still exceptionally raw.. Flashes of brilliance but just cannot hit a barn door. Not a million miles away from Bolasie when he was with us, to be fair he went on to do alright prior to severe injury

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

To be fair  it takes a while to change natural instinct in a situation like that with split second decisions.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

To be fair  it takes a while to change natural instinct in a situation like that with split second decisions.

I wonder whether a game or two on the bench might just help sharpen up those instincts?!! As I say there is plenty of talent there but that second half wasn’t good enough, nowhere near.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Improve on his finishing? Thing is he doesn’t finish does he! 

53 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

That’s how I saw Semenyo.  Plays on the edge of his touch too often.  Sometimes he gets the toe in first, but he always gives the defender a chance.

If I was Wells I’d be cheesed off.  But I think that is just his personality.

51 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Superb??

Cant hit a barn door

Did not put a single cross in

Did not beat his man on the outside Once

One decent pass in 90 mins

Runs at players in his own half

At best 5 or 6/10 

Overrated as he is an academy player

Only two thing matter in fooball

(1) Your first touch

(2) Your last touch 

If ether one of those is poor you will never make it

At the minute Wells looks like he will be one of our worst ever signings in terms of value for money. £5 million for a player who was having a purple patch at the age of 30 and will most likely leave on a free when his contract expires. Not sure how that one fits with the recruitment model the club go on about. We talk a good game but we repeatedly get it so wrong. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Wells was poor. 

Quality strikers playing with confidence find the gap between the defenders mate, body shape didn’t open up enough to give him more control and confidence on the shot

3 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

At the minute Wells looks like he will be one of our worst ever signings in terms of value for money. £5 million for a player who was having a purple patch at the age of 30 and will most likely leave on a free when his contract expires. Not sure how that one fits with the recruitment model the club go on about. We talk a good game but we repeatedly get it so wrong. 

Such a massive over reaction - Engval was a much much worse as a signing for example.

Wells has been crucial to many points since joining.

The weird thing about Semenyo fpr me is, I expected him to be this luxury player; full of tricks and goal threat in the final third but off the pace defensively...

But I actually see him as a dependable all round player but in no way deadly in the final third!

How did this happen?!

And Wells...I'm fed up with him. Enough. Not good enough.

And this stuff about our poor forwards not getting chances. We are generally (Semenyo, Wells, Martin) so wasteful in front of goal.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Such a massive over reaction - Engval was a much much worse as a signing for example.

Wells has been crucial to many points since joining.

Hence one of the worst value for money signings. If we were signing a 30 year old for £5 million who had consistently scored 20 goals a season at this level then I could understand the risk versus the reward. But Wells has never got 20 championship goals in a season. He is not going to fire us to promotion. He will leave on a free. 

Meanwhile, Brentford, who walk the walk and not just talk the talk when it comes to recruitment, sign a 24 year old who will either lead them to promotion or get them at least £20 million in the summer. 

Wells does seem to lack confidence right now but I admit to never understanding that. In the various sports I played as a young man, football, rugby, hockey, darts, I don't know that I ever lacked confidence. I knew I wasn't the best player but I was aware of my limitations and had confidence in the abilities I did possess. Nahki must know he is, a, striker capable of scoring a dozen goals and should remind himself of that. 

As for Semenyo the longer he plays alongside a striker like Martin I'm confident his composure will improve. At present I'd continue to play him because although he's not scoring his power and pace scare the living daylights out of the opposition. 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

The weird thing about Semenyo fpr me is, I expected him to be this luxury player; full of tricks and goal threat in the final third but off the pace defensively...

But I actually see him as a dependable all round player but in no way deadly in the final third!

How did this happen?!

And Wells...I'm fed up with him. Enough. Not good enough.

And this stuff about our poor forwards not getting chances. We are generally (Semenyo, Wells, Martin) so wasteful in front of goal.

Think that is a little harsh on Martin, he should have scored 2 today, but in general my criticism would be that he is too unselfish rather than a poor finisher.

Semenyo’s work rate & ability running with the ball is very good, his finishing & lack of awareness to play others in need masses of work, though.

Wells was poor today, he hasn’t been helped by playing wide on occasions but did some very odd things today, twice he stopped when played through the middle & seemed to give up, very strange.

7 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Hence one of the worst value for money signings. If we were signing a 30 year old for £5 million who had consistently scored 20 goals a season at this level then I could understand the risk versus the reward. But Wells has never got 20 championship goals in a season. He is not going to fire us to promotion. He will leave on a free. 

Meanwhile, Brentford, who walk the walk and not just talk the talk when it comes to recruitment, sign a 24 year old who will either lead them to promotion or get them at least £20 million in the summer. 

Another over reaction.

Wells was the 4th highest Championship scorer last season [18 Championship goals] behind Watkins, Grabban and Mitrovic.

He was much much cheaper than signing any of those players for this season.

Fam for example was way down the list and cost not a lot less.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Wells was poor. 

2 or 3 good moments in 90 mins, not sure that can be considered enough. 

Our play, and chance making is constantly let down by a bad touch or over/under hit pass. I know you can't be perfect, but so many breaks or bits of play breakdown so often as to be a worry. Today at times Semenyo looked brilliant, I think it was sort of his day. Several good looking runs came when he almost played through someone, he can look incredibly clumsy as well as threatening. Wells IMO can be forgiven for being a bit down. Most potent striker at the club, forced to play wide in a team that creates few chances, must be soul destroying . First half THAT touch was embarrassing , but the two through balls he basically gave up on is frustrating. 

I'd be tempted to rest AS and play COD on the left of the 3. Enjoyed seeing a left footed player bombing down the left, LJ's fav ploy was wingers on their wrong side so they could cut in, does mean they rarely get to the byline and cross though. If Fam is full fit by Tuesday, I'd start him with Martin.
We need to get more ruthless, but we need to be more clinical in the build up. First half hinted we might be getting there, but too many times we fell back into the same old faults. It is ironic that the one part of the team unaffected by injuries, is the main one we think is underperforming the most. 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Quality strikers playing with confidence find the gap between the defenders mate, body shape didn’t open up enough to give him more control and confidence on the shot

Yeah, a quality striker would. He’s not that. But he was still unlucky with that effort - came at him quick and difficult one to divert and keep low. Perhaps last week he snatches and skies that one over, at least he managed to keep it down and on target this time ?

I’m sure you’d have finished it in your pomp Mar!! ?

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

2 or 3 good moments in 90 mins, not sure that can be considered enough. 

True. But the OP said it was “a shambolic effort”. 
For Wells, I’d agree. For Semenyo, whilst there wasn’t a lot and it needs to be a whole lot better, it was far from shambolic. 
In fact, his run and pass to Wells should’ve been one of the assists of the season had Wells finished it. 
So Semenyo did ‘some’ things. Needs to do more. But it wasn’t shambolic. 

Someone needs to keep Semenyo back after training... repetitive exercise, clean through on goal from the left angle. 

Exercise one - hit the goal.

Exercise three - cross the ball.

There is no exercise two where he does both at the same time. Unfortunately this is the option he takes on match day at the mo. Lose that muscle memory.

Archived