IGNORED

Time for a clear out - starting January

Bassomylord

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Re your bold question (in more ways than one!) Yep, that is a good way of looking at it, and adds a better black and white dimension to my earlier comment about thinking beyond the current contract and recruiting for long term.

So, yes a good starting principle.

What you might want to then look at a few that didn’t make cut and consider the same question but for a 2 year deal.  I might add Pato into the list....but you do have to stop somewhere.

The final but about evolving the squad is in effect exactly what we haven’t been doing.  I’d love to know what the recruitment strategy really is.

I think the answer to your question lies in Ashton's favourite phrase: "We are a trading club".

The objective being to "trade" players in and out so as to generate profits. Won't always work but in these terms he has been a success.

But it relies on fees continuing to rise in an inflationary market, which is unlikely to continue post-Covid.

It is not about building a - dare I say it - strong and stable squad however.

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

We've made every type of signing IMO. Which is fine right? You want the club to explore every avenue to success. We've failed with the talent ID in two areas.

The Wells signing as the final piece or the jigsaw, when we still haven't attempted to use him how he's been successful previously.

And the home runs of young talented (and expensive) players who will naturally improve along with our great coaching! and generate transfer fees for us. Dasilva (hurt and not much/better than Rowe) Massengo (benched) Palmer (loaned out).

That's ~£10-15 million and ~60k p/w wages (a total guess) of failed squad evolution. That's a lot of failure.

Isn't it kinda scary that we can't come up with a bunch of players we definitely want to keep for the medium to long term.

I'd be more inclined to "clear out" the transfer team and whoever is constructing the squad.

It is indeed.

The recruitment “process” and key players in that process have a lot to answer for!

⬇️⬇️⬇️

54 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think the answer to your question lies in Ashton's favourite phrase: "We are a trading club".

The objective being to "trade" players in and out so as to generate profits. Won't always work but in these terms he has been a success.

But it relies on fees continuing to rise in an inflationary market, which is unlikely to continue post-Covid.

It is not about building a - dare I say it - strong and stable squad however.

We’ve wasted several of the £millions brought in.  Not just transfer income but the wages that go with it.

The inflationary transfer market helps MA, let’s see how good he looks in a Covid market.

The big problem is the wage bill and amortisation of contracts now outstrips the ability to make up the FFP shortfall with a single transfer out (Kodjia, Kelly, Webster etc).  Now, he’ll need to decimate the squad to make up the shortfall.

His only saving grace is that he might be able to bring in players cheaper than before.  But we still have a big financial gap to close to comply with FFP.  Most of that £10.8m amortisation bill from 18/19 is still committed too, and likely to be larger in 19/20s accounts once we see them.

If we let everyone go who is out of contract this summer, I believe we still have a £7m amortisation cost next year.

Time for MA to earn his £450k pa salary. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is indeed.

The recruitment “process” and key players in that process have a lot to answer for!

⬇️⬇️⬇️

We’ve wasted several of the £millions brought in.  Not just transfer income but the wages that go with it.

The inflationary transfer market helps MA, let’s see how good he looks in a Covid market.

The big problem is the wage bill and amortisation of contracts now outstrips the ability to make up the FFP shortfall with a single transfer out (Kodjia, Kelly, Webster etc).  Now, he’ll need to decimate the squad to make up the shortfall.

His only saving grace is that he might be able to bring in players cheaper than before.  But we still have a big financial gap to close to comply with FFP.  Most of that £10.8m amortisation bill from 18/19 is still committed too, and likely to be larger in 19/20s accounts once we see them.

If we let everyone go who is out of contract this summer, I believe we still have a £7m amortisation cost next year.

Time for MA to earn his £450k pa salary. 

The PL teams still we be able to buy a raffle ticket for peanuts though saving Ashtons skin and SL as always don't got a clue in his Hargreaves football mood. 

Archived