IGNORED

I'm jealous......

Jimbo76

Just starting to watch the Quest highlights and I see Canos scoring a great hat trick. They also have Toney and Mbeumo.

Other top 12 teams have players that other fans and that most other championship teams would want. Who do we have?

Genuine question. I think most teams would like Kalas in defence but other than that,  when opposition fans look at playing Bristol City, who do they get excited or fearful about watching? I'm (sadly) struggling to think of any. 

How have we 'progressed' to be a side so devoid of flair and excitement.

First time today that I could have paid for Robins TV  and I chose not to.  The entertainment factor, or obvious lack of it,  has got too much for me and I hate that I have to say that. 

Just now, Jimbo76 said:

Just starting to watch the Quest highlights and I see Canos scoring a great hat trick. They also have Toney and Mbeumo.

Other top 12 teams have players that other fans and that most other championship teams would want. Who do we have?

Genuine question. I think most teams would like Kalas in defence but other than that,  when opposition fans look at playing Bristol City, who do they get excited or fearful about watching? I'm (sadly) struggling to think of any. 

First time today that I could have paid for Robins TV  and I chose not to.  The entertainment factor, or obvious lack of it,  has got too much for me and I hate that I have to say that. 

Most teams hate playing against fammy opposition fans always highlight him,

Bentley most teams would want him one of the best goalkeepers in the championship 

Other then those two

Just now, Monkeh said:

Bentley most teams would want him one of the best goalkeepers in the championship 

Other then those two

Agree re Bentley but have to disagree re Fam.  Love his passion but I  don't think he is good enough at this level.  Most first touches are trampoline and for a big guy his hold up is not good enough  I won't get started on his finishing for fear of depressing any remaining xmas cheer

25 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Other then those two

Brentford fans seemed to be pretty happy to get rid of Bentley at the time but he has improved again since then. They seem to be doing ok without him though. 

Genuinely don’t think we have anyone that the best teams in this division would be clambering for as it stands. We are the very definition of ‘workmanlike’. 

35 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Agree re Bentley but have to disagree re Fam.  Love his passion but I  don't think he is good enough at this level.  Most first touches are trampoline and for a big guy his hold up is not good enough  I won't get started on his finishing for fear of depressing any remaining xmas cheer

I hate that expression.  Sorry.  I hope Chris Honor didn’t use it on BBCRB today....the couple of times I’ve listened to him this season his view of Fam has been very blinkered.

Yep, at times his first touch, back to goal is poor, but it’s not easy playing that role either.  We’ve seen how much Martin has struggled recently, yet nobody ever says he has a touch of a JCB driver do they?

Anyway, not disagreeing with your post, I just don’t like the term.  Just call me over-sensitive! ?

1 hour ago, Jimbo76 said:

Problem is, the way we suppress our talent with poor tactics and boring football, we could have those Brentford players and see them in the same way we are seeing the rabble were putting out at the moment. 
We dont seem to have a structured way to play. Whilst i hate(d) it, the bloody DNA b0llox LJ spurned out kindof had the ounce of looking like we were trying to do something. 
Currently we just look like a thrown together rabble! ( and yes i’d like probably 7 or 8 of the injured team in the starting XI but im not sure we’d be changing how we play!). 

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was saying all summer how Toney would be an amazing signing. He looked like he had it all last season at Peterborough. 

A pretty safe signing I thought for 8 million. Fantastic player.

Unfortunately we didn’t have £25m’s worth of players to sell to fund it, with another wodge this summer coming what Benrahma’s agreed sale goes through either. ???

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I hate that expression.  Sorry.  I hope Chris Honor didn’t use it on BBCRB today....the couple of times I’ve listened to him this season his view of Fam has been very blinkered.

Yep, at times his first touch, back to goal is poor, but it’s not easy playing that role either.  We’ve seen how much Martin has struggled recently, yet nobody ever says he has a touch of a JCB driver do they?

Anyway, not disagreeing with your post, I just don’t like the term.  Just call me over-sensitive! ?

Chris Honor, anyone would think he was Cafu when he played judging by the way he bangs on about other players.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

A pretty safe signing I thought for 8 million

There is no such thing as a ‘ safe signing ‘ at 8 million or on a free.

No matter how good Toney was at third division level it is a big step up to  the Championship , look at Jack Marriott, we were very keen on him and he has done nothing of note at Derby and been loaned out.

All credit to Toney and his new club for making it work .

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He is not a target man but he is big so both LJ and DH have decided he is. Get him facing the goal and bearing down on defenders and he is a different proposition imo.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought your name was Dafydd

10 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Me too.

10 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

If we had the likes of Canõs at the Gate, I’d doubt they’d produce the kind of form they are for Brentford. Most flair players we’ve signed post-Cotterill regress pretty quickly. Wells, a proven goalscorer at this level being one; Adelakun, who looked exciting but raw, being another. Dasilva’s heading the same way and it’ll be interesting to see if Walsh can deliver.

The reason for that? The coaching setup. That’s where I think a foreign coach (like Thomas Frank) is needed down here to make a success of SL’s flawed setup, IMO. 

11 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

You say that (and you’re certainly not alone) but @Monkeh is right, Fam is consistently the one player opposing fans rate. BC (before covid) I went to most away games and talking to opposing fans after games it would usually be Fam they talked about first and would have in their side. 
I’m not going to debate the rights or wrongs of that either, just to echo what Monkeh says. 
It must also say something that, Kalas aside, the only player most other clubs’ fans would have in their side, we put on the bench every week. 

This is what frustrates me too. We have raised large amounts from selling players and got very little to show for it. Our most successful big money signings, I would suggest, are defensive players. We've done pretty badly when buying creative/attacking players. 

Whoever is running the analytics needs to change the algorithm away from 'good team player who runs a lot and helps out in defence' mode. 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Chris Honor, anyone would think he was Cafu when he played judging by the way he bangs on about other players.

1 hour ago, Zip Nolan said:

He was, when he played for Briz in the Western league.

I’ve always found Honor’s commentary to be interesting and honest. 
Doesn’t matter that he wasn’t Cafu, or that he played for Briz - he did have a professional career, including for City, so he’s entitled to speak openly as he does. 

11 hours ago, lenred said:

Brentford fans seemed to be pretty happy to get rid of Bentley at the time but he has improved again since then.

I seem to remember reading he had lost confidence, a few fans saying he needed to go to try and get it back.
I have to admit I was critical when he first came, would even try to catch and his punching was poor. With his build he should dominate his area. Gradually he has settled in and looks the real deal. Great shot stopper , which is a minimum for a keeper really, but brilliant 1 v 1 . He has improved massively on crosses, those balls in the box late in games , it makes a massive difference if your Keeper can claim them, which he has done a few times this year. I really think he is twice the keeper from when he arrived.

12 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Don’t be jealous. Be angry. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

If we had the likes of Canõs at the Gate, I’d doubt they’d produce the kind of form they are for Brentford. Most flair players we’ve signed post-Cotterill regress pretty quickly. Wells, a proven goalscorer at this level being one; Adelakun, who looked exciting but raw, being another. Dasilva’s heading the same way and it’ll be interesting to see if Walsh can deliver.

The reason for that? The coaching setup. That’s where I think a foreign coach (like Thomas Frank) is needed down here to make a success of SL’s flawed setup, IMO. 

The other problem of course being that the flair players we have had haven’t been workhorses, so labelled by some as one trick pony’s or not being good enough. Can’t have it both ways, either have a team of players that work their socks off but little spark, or accommodate flair players and accept they’re hardly going to be box to box. If Palmer for example had all his ability and also covered every blade of grass, he wouldn’t be playing in the championship. JET also got the same treatment, it’s been the attitude for some time.

This season we’ve missed a creator in midfield and someone who can deliver a cross to Martin, I feel like we had two players who fitted these moulds, but can’t remember what happened to them…

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

But he is an ex pro (And not a bad ‘footballer’ tbf) And more importantly a genuine fan , a season ticket holder , not an ex player who takes up the odd freebie.

His supporter frustration shows at times , and I actually like that

15 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But he is an ex pro (And not a bad ‘footballer’ tbf) And more importantly a genuine fan , a season ticket holder , not an ex player who takes up the odd freebie.

His supporter frustration shows at times , and I actually like that

However great a bloke he is, however much he supports the club and however decent a lower league pro he was I think dressing room banter that basically insults fellow lower league pro’s is best left for discussion with his mates and kept off the radio tbh. Just my opinion on it.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

He is not a target man but he is big so both LJ and DH have decided he is. Get him facing the goal and bearing down on defenders and he is a different proposition imo.

?????? Exactly.  Been asked to play a physical target man that isn’t his natural game.

I’d start him with Martin v Luton.  But he does have to do more from the start of games too.  Just give us 65-70 of the “real Fam”, then Wells can come on.

I’m also happy to see us play a bit more direct too, especially away from home.....⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

You say that (and you’re certainly not alone) but @Monkeh is right, Fam is consistently the one player opposing fans rate. BC (before covid) I went to most away games and talking to opposing fans after games it would usually be Fam they talked about first and would have in their side. 
I’m not going to debate the rights or wrongs of that either, just to echo what Monkeh says. 
It must also say something that, Kalas aside, the only player most other clubs’ fans would have in their side, we put on the bench every week. 

....and I reckon those fans of ours that travel away regularly have probably seen the “real Fam” more than us “homers”.

I think Martin can also drop in to link up play if we get good possession too.  I still harp back to Brum a couple of seasons back when Fam partnered Milan Djuric.  Djuric did the physical work on the big unit, Michael Morrison and Fam terrorised Harlee Dean, the smaller.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’ve always found Honor’s commentary to be interesting and honest. 
Doesn’t matter that he wasn’t Cafu, or that he played for Briz - he did have a professional career, including for City, so he’s entitled to speak openly as he does. 

His general commentary is fine, I just don’t like the trampoline phrase.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep never a chance of us getting him. And Brentford with what they did with Watkins probably more attractive club for Toney too!

If you’re a striker in Lg2 looking for a Lg1 club, go to Peterborough, if you’re in Lg1 looking for the championship, go to Brentford. ?

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Why do people think Kalas would get into most Championship teams? 

Because he’s v.good. ??‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

?????? Exactly.  Been asked to play a physical target man that isn’t his natural game.

I’d start him with Martin v Luton.  But he does have to do more from the start of games too.  Just give us 65-70 of the “real Fam”, then Wells can come on.

I’m also happy to see us play a bit more direct too, especially away from home.....⬇️⬇️⬇️

....and I reckon those fans of ours that travel away regularly have probably seen the “real Fam” more than us “homers”.

I think Martin can also drop in to link up play if we get good possession too.  I still harp back to Brum a couple of seasons back when Fam partnered Milan Djuric.  Djuric did the physical work on the big unit, Michael Morrison and Fam terrorised Harlee Dean, the smaller.

His general commentary is fine, I just don’t like the trampoline phrase.

If you’re a striker in Lg2 looking for a Lg1 club, go to Peterborough, if you’re in Lg1 looking for the championship, go to Brentford. ?

Because he’s v.good. ??‍♂️

So top teams dont have very good defenders?!?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You could say there is a touch of the Romelu Lukaku about Fammy. Inter and Belgium don't bang long balls at him with his back to goal, they get him motoring at defences.

He is often a big threat on either wing as well, as he showed at the last World Cup.

15 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Fam is certainly "good enough to play at this level" but probably not for the top 3 or 4 teams, certainly good enough for a mid-table side (like us)

Archived