IGNORED

Great Expectations

Redtrojan

This year I don’t think we anticipated any great shakes.But despite not playing great football ,we are nearly at the halfway point of the season and 3 points off the playoffs and 6 off automatic.A bit of luck in the transfer market and injuries coming back and you never know.

Watching the Leeds v Burnley game with 3 of our old boys playing.Then the camera panned to a close up of Sean Dyche and took me back to the 1998 season and the reason for the title of the thread.

Scott Davidson was our flash chairman and we recruited like never before.2x million pound strikers (akinbiye and Thorpe),younger players Carey ,bell ,Tommy doc ,Scotty Murray    and many other tidy players all on the staff,Soren Anderson as well . Well I remember thinking,this is the year ,even the bookies had us in the top 6.

Well those of us who were there remember how it turned out ,our defence (Dyche until he was dropped after 17games?) and Watt were hopeless and we shipped goals all season 1-6 to wolves at home  being a memorable low(was that the Wolfie mascot fight game?).Lennartsson bused in Ward bused out.

We finished bottom-unbelievable.

Except we are Bristol City and nothing for us is unbelievable-even sneaking up this season.:laugh:.

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I remember that season. Promotion contenders on paper, rubbish on grass.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

I remember because we ran Watford for close for the title (eventually getting promoted as runners up) the season before. We arguably out played them in our head to heads and finished (i think) just 3 points behind them. We spent a crazy amount compared to them that summer and we got relegated back to the old Division 2 and they were promoted to the prem. 

Archived