IGNORED

Gregor - Joe Williams

Bassomylord

3 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Ashton has the Lansdowns wrapped around his finger.

I think the problem is that both Lansdowns aren’t interested in a full time hands on approach.

Steve has provided lots of money, and made some horrendous football decisions, Jon is there to give Steve someone he trusts nearer the action but with no more football knowledge than any of us (now if we were a baseball team he might be more useful).

Steve has employed someone he believes is a football man to make the calls within a certain remit, and that is too far reaching a remit for one man.

The most telling remarks have been both LJ and DH saying how often they speak (spoke) to MA, several times a day......that smacks of insecurity and lack of trust in the people you have appointed.

7 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Anyone who thinks Ashton and co are going to get the boot any time soon are deluded.

SL thinks the sun shines out of his ass with all the money he’s made from transfers, directly orchestrated by MA, over the last 4 years.

I very much doubt you will find many that think he will get sacked..

12 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Anyone who thinks Ashton and co are going to get the boot any time soon are deluded.

SL thinks the sun shines out of his ass with all the money he’s made from transfers, directly orchestrated by MA, over the last 4 years.

If that income starts drying up due to the lack of saleable big assets (and looking at the current squad we're not where we were on that score) then he might start asking questions.

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Frankly, I was worried when Johnson snr had his relative as a scout and his son in midfield.

This is beginning to look more than alarming. 

We’re starting to see the consequences of a structure that appears to be built by one man based on constructing a personal power-base. Unhealthy in the extreme in my view. No great wonder we couldn’t find a manager who would work in that structure. 

Reinforces my belief the most important signing this window will be a Director of Football who reports direct to Lansdown and is top of the Club’s management pyramid. Couldn’t care about signing any players until that position is filled.

In the Summer, a massive rebuild from top to bottom. Just what Lansdown would not have wanted x5 and, probably, will opt out of doing.

I support Bristol City, not Team ******* Ashton. 

Why does it have to be us who **** things up all the time! I despair. 

Lee had his cousin in scouting too, so not just Gary prone to a bit of nepotism.

Ashton is under pressure, there are a lot of problems being highlighted by fans and now media...and he’s right in the middle of it.  Do I think SL would sack him?  Nope.  Do I think he might somehow worm his way out of the club into the EFL or some other club?  Yes, I do.

I don’t buy the stories that Ashton is only out-there when we are winning, as I think if you look back he's more visible during windows.  The fact that he’s gone quiet this January, and the likes of Gregor can’t get access to him is worrying.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ashton is under pressure, there are a lot of problems being highlighted by fans and now media...and he’s right in the middle of it.  Do I think SL would sack him?  Nope.  Do I think he might somehow worm his way out of the club into the EFL or some other club?  Yes, I do.

I have thought of this myself, He comes across as the sort of character who will bail and move on when it suits him.

If the heat is on so much and with the club in obvious decline now would be the time he may jump however cosy it is here to save his face and CV.

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Genuine question in a hypothetical situation, say either Walsh or Williams actually had long covid effects as opposed to an injury, its a health issue and not an injury so the players are entitled to keep the information as contained as possible. So if you're Holden do you say 'we can't tell the fans what's going on' which would probably annoy quite a few or do you try and cover for them by saying they have injuries and hoping the effects ease off and they can return? Its not always an easy situation for trying to be honest all the time. I'd say for the majority he's tried to be, but when situations become strained has (from a public sense) retreated a bit, which can be understandable.

Partly with so many players out injured he doesn't want to advertise to upcoming opponents who could be back and ready to play too easily, were Portsmouth expecting Alfie Mawson to be fit? In their opposition analysis they probably had a 'January return?' against him name or similar, now Dean has chucked his name out and the video Portsmouth have to suddenly try and predict on a few days notice how it could see us line up along with the returns of Adelakun and Owura Edwards, suddenly creates a lot more work and guesswork about their preparations compared to thinking we're an injury ravaged side with minimal rotation open to us. 

Not sure about this one (your first paragraph that is). Of course, if the players didnt want health issues known then so be it, but really dont see why they would keep long covid issues a secret. Steve Bruce was extremely open about the issues Alain Saint-Maximin & Jamal Lascelles are currently going through regarding covid long term effects.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Werhun, club secretary....and Head of Operations....a former Oxford employee, and also ex-employee of MA’s consultancy business - Tactical Change.  Joined with MA....how cosy.

I do believe Werhun is Mark Ashton's God Son. Explains alot.

This isn't speculation, Ashton has created an environment where anybody with significant influence has been recruited by him or is under his regime. The man is a cancer to this club  

23 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not sure about this one (your first paragraph that is). Of course, if the players didnt want health issues known then so be it, but really dont see why they would keep long covid issues a secret. Steve Bruce was extremely open about the issues Alain Saint-Maximin & Jamal Lascelles are currently going through regarding covid long term effects.

Point is the player would have the choice being a health issue so any club would have their hands tied if the player didn't want it revealed, perhaps a player could fear it may put clubs off approaching him for a move as he was in the last 12 months of his deal as Walsh is.

18 minutes ago, Bailey is Right said:

I do believe Werhun is Mark Ashton's God Son. Explains alot.

This isn't speculation, Ashton has created an environment where anybody with significant influence has been recruited by him or is under his regime. The man is a cancer to this club  

This anti Ashton crap on here with the constant unsubstantiated conspiracy theories is quite frankly tiresome.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Point is the player would have the choice being a health issue so any club would have their hands tied if the player didn't want it revealed, perhaps a player could fear it may put clubs off approaching him for a move as he was in the last 12 months of his deal as Walsh is.

I think the fact that Williams is peed off at his medical treatment suggests he’s not long-covid. 

The theory did cross my mind a couple of weeks back too, but not now that we know he’s narked. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think the fact that Williams is peed off at his medical treatment suggests he’s not long-covid. 

The theory did cross my mind a couple of weeks back too, but not now that we know he’s narked. 

Medical team not giving him a green flag when he says he's okay to resume but they think its more serious :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Medical team not giving him a green flag when he says he's okay to resume but they think its more serious :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Nah can’t see that being the case. If he was long covid, it wouldn’t be a medical team decision, he’d literally be knackered after the warm up. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nah can’t see that being the case. If he was long covid, it wouldn’t be a medical team decision, he’d literally be knackered after the warm up. 

Yeah I don't see it either wasn't really a realistic comment

Can we claim that Ashton has the Lansdowns under his spell? Seems like a stretch of the imagination.

When Ciry were improving their league position each year and making profits selling the talent, why wouldn't they back him?

It's the last 18 months that have seen a stark downturn both on and off the field. 

Our league position slipped to 12th last season and who knows if we can progress this season.

Also we don't seem to be sitting on any prized assets anymore. 

Diedhiou will likely leave on a free. Massengo and Semenyo look like players that need time and persistence. 

The fact that we regard our goalie as the best asset says our squad value is significantly decreased.

With the Brunt debacle and the rumours of discontent (medical), it's starting to feel like we aren't the forward thinking prudent club anymore. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Can we claim that Ashton has the Lansdowns under his spell? Seems like a stretch of the imagination.

When Ciry were improving their league position each year and making profits selling the talent, why wouldn't they back him?

It's the last 18 months that have seen a stark downturn both on and off the field. 

Our league position slipped to 12th last season and who knows if we can progress this season.

Also we don't seem to be sitting on any prized assets anymore. 

Diedhiou will likely leave on a free. Massengo and Semenyo look like players that need time and persistence

The fact that we regard our goalie as the best asset says our squad value is significantly decreased.

With the Brunt debacle and the rumours of discontent (medical), it's starting to feel like we aren't the forward thinking prudent club anymore. 

Bakinson too? Young players will have peaks and troughs. He had a strong start and probably is the furthest along of the 3 but well worth keeping going with him.

I stick by a view that with less injuries and not just injuries but persistent ones to first teamers and important bench/rotation options, then we'd be playing better football and be better placed in the League. Suspect too that Moore wouldn't have declined so much at RCB if able to play in that natural position with Mawson still at LCB.

Diedhiou on a free is just the tip of the iceberg, however as our record signing a good starting point.

Our out of contract list...well it could be a strong opportunity for someone, but how well managed it will be, well it's a different debate altogether!

37 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

All a bit too cosy, which it has been for as long as I can remember. Nepotism & jobs for the boys part of our DNA in the modern era...the harder question to answer is whether this is par for the course in domestic football or more of a City specific affliction...

Not sure how uncommon it is with football.

Ancelotti takes his son with him as an assistant manager, or has done, Man City basically brought strong elements of the Barcelona backroom team with Pep- could be argued in a sense that Arteta, Lampard and Solsjkaer are nepotistic or at least favoured appointments to some extent- jobs I'd argue there are better qualified candidates out there suited for! That's just off the top of my head, sure there is a lot of it out there tbh.

Only have to look at favoured loans as well- Ferguson was noted for loaning Man United young players to clubs managed by Darren- indeed when Preston sacked the latter, the loans were pulled! Not what you know but who you know- well it can be a strong factor anyway. Mount and Tomori to (Lampard's) Derby is one- Carson to Man City for TWO seasons is another, one of their highest earners off the books. Pep and Cocu...check Barca midfield sometime in the 1990s? How many England youth has Cooper loaned since summer 2019?

A certain ex City manager- I mean a highly unpopular one- used to take his son with him from club to club.

Could be argued it's contacts as well- fine line between the two but it's not uncommon at all in football! Great sport...questionable industry, in a lot of respects.

As a 50-something, I tore my left meniscus in a fall back in August. After taking it very easy for a couple of weeks, including initial icing and wearing a simple compression bandage, followed by 10 weeks of no running but regular swimming, I have subsequently built back up to running 5k 3 times per week in under 30 minutes.

Now I am not suggesting that rehab for injuries is easy, and it’s not my area of expertise, but if I can manage to recover after what is a significant injury back to what I was achieving pre-injury, in around 4 months, I do find it amazing how long it has taken some of our players to return from injury despite supposedly expert support. The worry from some of the comments has been getting re-injured during their rehab. That suggests that there is something wrong with what they were being made to do.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bakinson too? Young players will have peaks and troughs. He had a strong start and probably is the furthest along of the 3 but well worth keeping going with him.

I stick by a view that with less injuries and not just injuries but persistent ones to first teamers and important bench/rotation options, then we'd be playing better football and be better placed in the League. Suspect too that Moore wouldn't have declined so much at RCB if able to play in that natural position with Mawson still at LCB.

Diedhiou on a free is just the tip of the iceberg, however as our record signing a good starting point.

Our out of contract list...well it could be a strong opportunity for someone, but how well managed it will be, well it's a different debate altogether!

Any reason why in your last couple of posts you’re suggesting Moore at RCB, when he played either Central or LCB.  Vyner has played RCB virtually all season?  I appreciate he’s struggled more at LCB, but he looked okay in Kalas’s absence centrally with Mawson to his left, and Vyner to his right?  I see him centrally in a 3.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Any reason why in your last couple of posts you’re suggesting Moore at RCB, when he played either Central or LCB.  Vyner has played RCB virtually all season?  I appreciate he’s struggled more at LCB, but he looked okay in Kalas’s absence centrally with Mawson to his left, and Vyner to his right?  I see him centrally in a 3.

Okay my mistake- seen Moore as a possible technical ball carrier- ie Mawson carries left, Moore right but carrying from central- he's definitely not an LCB though and will unsurprisingly struggle there! As he has.

Right footed centre back, RCB- Moore or Vyner the more technical of the two?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay my mistake- seen Moore as a possible technical ball carrier- ie Mawson carries left, Moore right but carrying from central- he's definitely not an LCB though and will unsurprisingly struggle there! As he has.

Right footed centre back, RCB- Moore or Vyner the more technical of the two?

I was just asking / wondering....not suggesting a mistake.

I think Moore has looked better carrying centrally, where he has options either way.  Admittedly in limited views carrying the ball from RCB he looks like he can get a bit of tunnel vision.  Prefer Vyner in that scenario.  I’d like to see both be more physical.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was just asking / wondering....not suggesting a mistake.

I think Moore has looked better carrying centrally, where he has options either way.  Admittedly in limited views carrying the ball from RCB he looks like he can get a bit of tunnel vision.  Prefer Vyner in that scenario.  I’d like to see both be more physical.

Checked back and you're quite right- Moore central or left, Vyner right- watched a bit of early season highlights too.

Vyner did play RB at Rotherham on loan didn't he, for a while so that can help too- looking at it technically though, my idea was of two technical carriers either side- Moore and Mawson right to left- do wonder though even when he was central, if Mawson on the left helped him to perform better.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Checked back and you're quite right- Moore central or left, Vyner right- watched a bit of early season highlights too.

Vyner did play RB at Rotherham on loan didn't he, for a while so that can help too- looking at it technically though, my idea was of two technical carriers either side- Moore and Mawson right to left- do wonder though even when he was central, if Mawson on the left helped him to perform better.

Yes, how the game changes.  From Beckenbauer, sweeping, but bringing it forward centrally.  Even Mark Wright, Gary Pallistsr (in his early days) doing the same.  Then the Dutch splitting their CBs to the wings with a top passing sweeper in Koeman, etc, etc. Now it’s all about side-CBs and bringing it forward from there....started by Cotts....ok it wasn’t him per se....but it wasn’t Chris Wilder either!

Football...brilliant.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Football...brilliant.

Yes it is a beautiful game when played properly and encourages fans to add their five penneth to whoever is listening in a discussion.

To me football is a simple game and find that it gets over complicated (LJ was a perfect example) Stats and formations actually mean nothing and yet listening to some you’d think that they were crucially important.

The only stat that truly matters is the number goals scored and conceded.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yes it is a beautiful game when played properly and encourages fans to add their five penneth to whoever is listening in a discussion.

To me football is a simple game and find that it gets over complicated (LJ was a perfect example) Stats and formations actually mean nothing and yet listening to some you’d think that they were crucially important.

The only stat that truly matters is the number goals scored and conceded.

You still haven’t answered my question I posted to you twice yesterday . Yet again when faced with a proper question you can’t answer with a mundane generic answer you choose to ignore it. Why don’t you contribute properly instead of being the forums troll 

Archived