IGNORED

Gregor - Joe Williams

Bassomylord

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We have had quite a few father son teams,

Terry, mark, leroy, liam, joe andrew, lee gary,, anymore?

Another thread covered this recently.

Arnold and David Rodgers

Don and Brian Clark

Gordon and Peter Spiring. Peter's father played 4 matches for City just before Second War 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You still haven’t answered my question I posted to you twice yesterday . Yet again when faced with a proper question you can’t answer with a mundane generic answer you choose to ignore it. Why don’t you contribute properly instead of being the forums troll 

What was the question?

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yes it is a beautiful game when played properly and encourages fans to add their five penneth to whoever is listening in a discussion.

To me football is a simple game and find that it gets over complicated (LJ was a perfect example) Stats and formations actually mean nothing and yet listening to some you’d think that they were crucially important.

The only stat that truly matters is the number goals scored and conceded.

Hmm- I agree to a point- can be overcomplicated for sure.

However I'd suggest that setups and formations- successful sides who carve out a niche in that shape for example, would fall away and in some drastically with a different one. Brentford if they started lumping it long to Toney in a 4-4-2 (or Maupay, or Watkins prior to this), they might or might have become quite a bit less effective and there are many examples out there too.

Put another way, if they suddenly tomorrow decided to switch up to a West London version of Taylor's England- it wouldn't serve them well!

It's an extreme divergence and example but small changes in setup can yield drastic results- would they have the same level of control and security if they started playing Mbemuo and Canos as old school wingers, one less CM and partnered Forss with Toney? Possibly not- even more pronounced when they had Benrahma one side, Mbeumo the other and Watkins central- but not necessarily a traditional centre forward.

18 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

As a 50-something, I tore my left meniscus in a fall back in August. After taking it very easy for a couple of weeks, including initial icing and wearing a simple compression bandage, followed by 10 weeks of no running but regular swimming, I have subsequently built back up to running 5k 3 times per week in under 30 minutes.

Now I am not suggesting that rehab for injuries is easy, and it’s not my area of expertise, but if I can manage to recover after what is a significant injury back to what I was achieving pre-injury, in around 4 months, I do find it amazing how long it has taken some of our players to return from injury despite supposedly expert support. The worry from some of the comments has been getting re-injured during their rehab. That suggests that there is something wrong with what they were being made to do.

A few months ago I had the same problem and I followed a similar self help recovery programme with the same successful results. I had to put up with a lot of “advice “ from my wife telling me to go to see a doctor. Today I have been able to tell her that Bristol’s foremost doctor has agreed with me. Thank you Doctor Balls. 

PS. Many years ago I had a first aid certificate. Should I offer my services to Bristol City? 

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A few months ago I had the same problem and I followed a similar self help recovery programme with the same successful results. I had to put up with a lot of “advice “ from my wife telling me to go to see a doctor. Today I have been able to tell her that Bristol’s foremost doctor has agreed with me. Thank you Doctor Balls. 

PS. Many years ago I had a first aid certificate. Should I offer my services to Bristol City? 

My first meniscus op, I was back playing in 4 weeks.  The next two were 2-3 monthers.

23 hours ago, BigTone said:

This anti Ashton crap on here with the constant unsubstantiated conspiracy theories is quite frankly tiresome.

Agreed. Overall, I’d say his time has been pretty successful at the club. Negotiated some huge transfer fees and has done pretty well within the transfer market which is his main role. 

34 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Agreed. Overall, I’d say his time has been pretty successful at the club. Negotiated some huge transfer fees and has done pretty well within the transfer market which is his main role. 

Granted we had some good fees for Webster, Reid etc. Has it been reinvested well? No. Is the squad worth more now than when Ashton took over? Arguably no. Is the backroom staff better now than when Ashton took over? No. 

31 minutes ago, Selred said:

Granted we had some good fees for Webster, Reid etc. Has it been reinvested well? No. Is the squad worth more now than when Ashton took over? Arguably no. Is the backroom staff better now than when Ashton took over? No. 

Why are you so definite the back room staff is worse? Because we’ve been unlucky with injuries? I would much rather have 2 experienced coaches than Jamie McAllister if that’s what you’re referring to   

6 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Why are you so definite the back room staff is worse? Because we’ve been unlucky with injuries? I would much rather have 2 experienced coaches than Jamie McAllister if that’s what you’re referring to   

Backroom staff wise, I'd rather have a medical team respected by our players, manager wise I'd rather have Cotts than Deano, I'd rather have scouts than just using certain agents too. 

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

Backroom staff wise, I'd rather have a medical team respected by our players, manager wise I'd rather have Cotts than Deano, I'd rather have scouts than just using certain agents too. 

Just because a player has had a set back during his rehabilitation doesn’t mean the players don’t respect the back room staff. For all we know, Williams could have overdone it through his own error. The fact Gregor has jumped on it to get a few clicks doesn’t suddenly mean there’s a revolt amongst the players. From what I’ve seen the players have been giving their all under Dean and there doesn’t seem any obvious discontent at all. 

7 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Just because a player has had a set back during his rehabilitation doesn’t mean the players don’t respect the back room staff. For all we know, Williams could have overdone it through his own error. The fact Gregor has jumped on it to get a few clicks doesn’t suddenly mean there’s a revolt amongst the players. From what I’ve seen the players have been giving their all under Dean and there doesn’t seem any obvious discontent at all. 

Gregor isn't that type of journalist. Not saying there's discontent about Holden, but I do blame Ashton as I feel we'd have a far better manager if it wasn't for Ashton. 

18 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

It’s not just Williams, several other players have expressed the same concerns according to GeeMcGee. Take that as you will, but to me at least that raises serious questions about the medical staff, who put them in place and why they’re in place.

If you can’t see the long list of serious injuries our players have sustained since 2018 and question why, that’s your choice. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Gregor isn't that type of journalist. Not saying there's discontent about Holden, but I do blame Ashton as I feel we'd have a far better manager if it wasn't for Ashton. 

Nor does alleged discontent with the medical team mean discontent with Holden either, he might be just as pissed off too.

1 hour ago, tin said:

It’s not just Williams, several other players have expressed the same concerns according to GeeMcGee. Take that as you will, but to me at least that raises serious questions about the medical staff, who put them in place and why they’re in place.

If you can’t see the long list of serious injuries our players have sustained since 2018 and question why, that’s your choice. 

I really can’t accept that the current injury list is hindered by the medical/physio departments. It’s absolute nonsense.

These guys are well qualified and experts in their field and for some local hack to spread largely unfounded rumours is disgraceful Imv. There is absolutely zero hard evidence other perhaps than an angry player who can’t seem to get fit and blaming the physio department.

They all work under the Bristol Sport umbrella and undoubtedly share various difficult injuries with each other, The rugby and basketball ball along with the City medical/physio guys surely must share their expertise amongst each other - it makes perfect sense to have a team all working for Bristol Sport rather than three independent departments working in isolation with each sport.

Ive met and heard GMcG and he’s comes over as a decent enough guy but I’m certainly questioning his journalistic skills after this ‘revelation’ in the Post.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I really can’t accept that the current injury list is hindered by the medical/physio departments. It’s absolute nonsense.

These guys are well qualified and experts in their field and for some local hack to spread largely unfounded rumours is disgraceful Imv. There is absolutely zero hard evidence other perhaps than an angry player who can’t seem to get fit and blaming the physio department.

They all work under the Bristol Sport umbrella and undoubtedly share various difficult injuries with each other, The rugby and basketball ball along with the City medical/physio guys surely must share their expertise amongst each other - it makes perfect sense to have a team all working for Bristol Sport rather than three independent departments working in isolation with each sport.

Ive met and heard GMcG and he’s comes over as a decent enough guy but I’m certainly questioning his journalistic skills after this ‘revelation’ in the Post.

For Bristol Sport, replace with Pula Sport.  Pula Sport is the Umbrella / Overarching Company....but I get what you mean.

Gregor is reporting that Williams (others?) are unhappy with the medical department.  That may be 100% true.  But what we don’t know is whether his unhappiness is through the medical team’s incompetence or not.

FWIW I’m not too fussed about the story per se....just want the players back fit.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For Bristol Sport, replace with Pula Sport.  Pula Sport is the Umbrella / Overarching Company....but I get what you mean.

Gregor is reporting that Williams (others?) are unhappy with the medical department.  That may be 100% true.  But what we don’t know is whether his unhappiness is through the medical team’s incompetence or not.

FWIW I’m not too fussed about the story per se....just want the players back fit.

was he robin a living or just a good Van driver? 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. 

Do you ignore Rolls’ well documented track record for negligence at Arsenal and West Ham? If you deal in facts, he’s been sacked by both of those clubs for overseeing squads besieged with injuries. Our current injury list is factual evidence of history repeating itself. 

Unfounded rumours? Do you know how journalism works at all? Usually a reporter will speak to at least two sources to substantiate any ‘rumour’ then use their judgment whether or not to print it. The editor needs to see those sources as well. 

Do you have factual evidence that the clubs under the BS umbrella share injuries? I’d like to see that on the official site if possible. The Bears’ injury record is far better than ours. 

You’ve contradicted yourself again. You say you only deal in facts and the fact you choose to ignore here is the story broke on The Athletic first. The Athletic has the best sports editorial team in the country. Gregor’s simply followed that up like any decent local reporter would. He presumably spoke to other players or agents to confirm it’s true before going to print. 

Reply in bold. 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My first meniscus op, I was back playing in 4 weeks.  The next two were 2-3 monthers.

Dave - there is a school of thought amongst some orthopaedic surgeons (perhaps those not driven by the need to operate) that if you can let a meniscus tear (even a medial one) heal without an operation then that would be better long-term and potentially carries less risk. Obviously I am not a professional and have time to take 4-5 months, which they don’t, but the overall point was that going slower to start with and building gradually might end up with a better result than pushing too hard too soon, and either aggravating the original injury or causing another by overcompensating. That appears to have been part of the complaint against the medical team.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

A perfect example of someone who knows nothing thinking they know everything.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor does alleged discontent with the medical team mean discontent with Holden either, he might be just as pissed off too.

As I suggested upthread, you can bet it's come up as a topic of conversation during his chats with Allardyce, given that he was at West Ham at the same time as Andy Rolls.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Dave - there is a school of thought amongst some orthopaedic surgeons (perhaps those not driven by the need to operate) that if you can let a meniscus tear (even a medial one) heal without an operation then that would be better long-term and potentially carries less risk. Obviously I am not a professional and have time to take 4-5 months, which they don’t, but the overall point was that going slower to start with and building gradually might end up with a better result than pushing too hard too soon, and either aggravating the original injury or causing another by overcompensating. That appears to have been part of the complaint against the medical team.

Guess that depends on the extent of the tear, e.g. can you let a bit of gradual wear and tear (no pun) shirt itself out?

In terms of medical team rumblings, Williams did his thigh (and now hamstring), so not meniscus.  Or are you saying general approach is to work all injuries too hard too quickly.  If so, then yes, sometimes you have to let nature takes its course.

As for me, I have no cartilage in my left knee and about a 1/3 in my right knee.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Guess that depends on the extent of the tear, e.g. can you let a bit of gradual wear and tear (no pun) shirt itself out?

In terms of medical team rumblings, Williams did his thigh (and now hamstring), so not meniscus.  Or are you saying general approach is to work all injuries too hard too quickly.  If so, then yes, sometimes you have to let nature takes its course.

As for me, I have no cartilage in my left knee and about a 1/3 in my right knee.

Early rehab is very much in vogue these days, but it’s also well appreciated that going too hard too fast can cause more problems. The pressure on teams to get players back too soon can quickly need to another injury and I am sure we can all think of examples.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Early rehab is very much in vogue these days, but it’s also well appreciated that going too hard too fast can cause more problems. The pressure on teams to get players back too soon can quickly need to another injury and I am sure we can all think of examples.

The interesting thing is that with City is that I’m always surprised how long the initial injury estimate is.  It’s not so much setbacks driving an elongated recovery timeline, but that the initial “he will be out for 10-12 weeks” type thing.  What happened to the little niggle where you only miss one or two games.  How many of those do we get.

Its why many weeks ago when we went through an intense period of games I asked Gregor to ask Holden how much Sports Science influences who is fit to play, who is close to fatigue.  The answer back from Dean was “we take everything into account” without really answering.  The successful sports science will predict the point of fatigue (like AC Milan did) and pull players out.  You don’t get a Callum O’Dowda hamstring injury 70 minutes into a game when he’s fully warm if that’s the case.  The AC Milan players were not happy initially that they were missing a game, but across the season they saw they played more minutes than previous seasons.

Archived