IGNORED

Conceding From Crosses into the Box

It may just be recency bias on my part, but I feel like we concede a lot from balls directly into the box, either from open play or set piece.

We seem to struggle to either pick up, or contest with, the first runner, or the second ball.

I could be completely wrong.

1 minute ago, tin said:

I’ve been saying for a while now Vyner is a liability in the air and that doesn’t help. I’d say Kalas, Fam and to a lesser extend Martin are the only ball winners in the air we have in the entire squad. 

Most of the crosses we’ve conceded this season have came from Kalas. For example today he lost his man back stick. His job as a centre half to win headers and clear the ball 

Just now, Finley_Smith10 said:

Most of the crosses we’ve conceded this season have came from Kalas. For example today he lost his man back stick. His job as a centre half to win headers and clear the ball 

bollocks Vyner heavily culpable earlier in the season. Kalas has carried this team so has plenty of credit in the bank.

1 minute ago, tin said:

I’ve been saying for a while now Vyner is a liability in the air and that doesn’t help. I’d say Kalas, Fam and to a lesser extend Martin are the only ball winners in the air we have in the entire squad. 

Yet, I believe that we have conceded three goals from corners when Kalas was the guilty party! Yet again tonight.

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Kalas can’t do it all on his own, fella. 

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Kalas can’t do it all on his own, fella. 

U said Kalas is one of our ball winners, my opinion is that he’s not all that hyped up aerially. Footballs a game of different opinions so agree to disagree. Gets caught out too much due to a lack of concentration but we’d lose a lot more games without him 

15 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

U said Kalas is one of our ball winners, my opinion is that he’s not all that hyped up aerially. Footballs a game of different opinions so agree to disagree. Gets caught out too much due to a lack of concentration but we’d lose a lot more games without him 

He got caught tonight, he won us the game at Cardiff by standing up to Keifer Moore - and in other games as well. He’s won us more points than we’ve lost us so far this season IMO. I don’t see Vyner or Moore ever being anywhere near dominant in the air. 

Bentley rarely comes to claim a cross, if he does he just flaps at it and hopes the ref will give a free kick.  He never seems to claim a corner or have any domination of the six yard box, which means the defence get nervous knowing they will have to atone for his lack of quality in commanding the box and handling (not faulting his shot-stopping, tonight's second goal excepted).  I would be interested to see what has stats are for cleanly catching crosses when challenged.

I’m not entirely convinced it was Kalas’s man that scored. I’d need to look a bit closer if there’s a camera angle but it looked to me as if it was Vyner’s man (or at least, Vyners lack of movement / awareness).  

Prior to the corner, Luton lined up with 4 in a line. Massengo stays with his man, who stays out. Rowe’s man runs near post, and Rowe goes with - albeit a late reaction! The other 2 Luton players go to the back post. Kalas goes too, but Vyner just stays put. Kalas then sees Vyners man free and makes a move toward him, which then puts him a yard out of position and he jumps under the ball. 

Basically, Vyner hasn’t marked his man, leaving Kalas with 2, and Kalas then made the split second decision to try to cover the unmarked man nearest the goal. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m not entirely convinced it was Kalas’s man that scored. I’d need to look a bit closer if there’s a camera angle but it looked to me as if it was Vyner’s man (or at least, Vyners lack of movement / awareness).  

Prior to the corner, Luton lined up with 4 in a line. Massengo stays with his man, who stays out. Rowe’s man runs near post, and Rowe goes with - albeit a late reaction! The other 2 Luton players go to the back post. Kalas goes too, but Vyner just stays put. Kalas then sees Vyners man free and makes a move toward him, which then puts him a yard out of position and he jumps under the ball. 

Basically, Vyner hasn’t marked his man, leaving Kalas with 2, and Kalas then made the split second decision to try to cover the unmarked man nearest the goal. 

That is an effin great spot Harry.

That is the danger of marking touch tight in a condensed space.

8711E0B5-EF76-4CDD-9B96-8CA06C1D42F0.png

92E23BD7-A41C-41E1-B9FB-D7F983F5BAAD.png

8DD96056-7A2E-4BF1-BE32-0B10AFD0D17C.png

10B236BF-ED92-4A57-8B9C-F893FFE2D33C.png

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think we’d be better off playing zonal. 

Totally agree.  It is too easy in the modern game to get sucked into going man-for-man when they bunch 4/5 together.  Chris Martin or Fam (whoever is playing) do a great job on the near post.  The others then basically zonal mark.  By all mean use one player to go with whoever darts towards the near post, but the others watch the runners and the ball, not necessarily their man.

A lot of bad press about zonal marking, but only because it was different.  Like all defensive systems you gotta work at it.

Archived