IGNORED

Bakinson...Too casual by far

the frampton balti

I thought he was absolutely woeful tonight, gifted them another chance that Bentley saved well before doing so again for the winner.

So obvious Holden doesn’t rate Massengo, ridiculously asked to play wide left before being subbed off, Bakinson should have been the one coming off for me.

I thought he would want to show his former club but he looked half hearted all night.

• Admin
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Such a shame as he had some real moments of class tonight. He desperately needs to cut out these mistakes. Bit too confident at times. The volley pass to Kalas for example. Not sure many other holding midfielders we have had over the years would try that. Needs to get it spot on and he didnt.

One big problem, he can't tackle 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

One big problem, he can't tackle 

He is unbelievably slow too. I thought he'd be able to eat up the ground with 6 foot legs.

I'd love to see him and Palmer play little pass and moves around players though. Would be like our Pogba/Fernandes.

4 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

He played his best games when Weimann was next to him covering every blade of grass and he could just sit in the middle of the park, break up play and ping passes through the lines. 

Maybe he's got too comfortable, knowing the competition in midfield is now absolutely dire.

One might argue that him and Nagy as a two (in either a 352 or 442) might not be a great pairing.  I don’t see them working as a pair, helping each other.  Sometimes pairings just don’t gel.  They look like two individuals in there.

Tyreeq did some nice things tonight, but he did some awful stuff too.

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The Bakinson I saw for newport was underwhelming. Was shocked how good he looked earlier this season.  The Newport Bakinson is creeping back

Still young and inexperienced so need to keep playing him

To be clear . I wouldnt drop him. The coaches need to have a word without dicouraging the creative side of his game .

I don’t want to be overly critical of Bakinson, as he’s not ready for this level of football week in week out just yet and is only playing because of injuries and poor recruitment decisions. 

However, when he does play, he’s in there to do a job and we as fans have every right to critique - fairly. 

What I see so far with Bakinson, and it was particularly evident tonight, is a huge inconsistency. 
He will do one thing that looks excellent and super-composed, but will then do 5 or 6 terrible things, through sloppiness or casualness. 

You can see he has talent and potential, but his game is nowhere near ready for the opponents he is facing - players at this level can quickly work him out, as evidenced by their 2nd goal where their midfielder has sussed his game and knows 100% he can read that short pass. 

The most frustrating thing, and I’ve noticed this on a few occasions already, is the desire to track back - particularly when it’s your own mistake. 
When he made that pass straight to Luton for the Bentley save, he just strolled back as they were attacking - if he’d sprinted he could have made it as far back as to putting pressure on their striker prior to his shot. 
For me, that is an absolute basic of football - if you give the ball away, you sprint your backside off to get back into a defensive position to try to put it right. 

I’ve seen this 3 or 4 times now, tonight was the worst. And it’s a part of his game I really do not like. 

Possibly the best progressive passer at the club? The ball to Rowe, several balls to feet and plenty of times he just gets it , swivels and moves it on. Has everything to be a top player. Then you have the lazy, lax flicks, the first times passes TOWARDS a player not TO him and he not only destroys all the good work he's done, he could have single handedly cost us 3 goals tonight. So frustrating. 

In defence , he's a young kid just starting at this level and he's making the same mistakes I accused Zak Vyner of making at the beginning of the season, well , no arrogance maybe. He was prone to lose concentration, and would misplace simple passes or play lazy passes , he has played probably 3 times the number of games . ZV has come on massively this year, probably been as good as anyone, though he probably needed to build confidence where as TB could do with being less confident. He's learning on the job, another time he would have been rested and watched a game or two before going back in.

He's not the only one though, throughout the side we miss those simple passes so moves break down, chances disappear , Wells's missed pass to Semenyo a case in point. I hoping some of Bakinson's problem is being a bit naive. A goal down, defending an attack , a couple of crosses beaten away and we win the ball, Bakinson gives it straight back 2nd pass. It's so frustrating as it's a basic skill' . 
The problem for Holden, we have 5 players to fill the back 4 and 3 for the 3 MF places. It's probably why we end up with 4 striker on and no one to supply them. 

The options are buy in Jan, unlikely. Wait for the injured to return, probable or loans. With the latest new about players, I think this might be possibly the way we'll go, desperately need options. 

I’d also add. I don’t think he’s got a midfield partner alongside him to ‘compliment’ his game. 
Bakinson is clearly the type who wants to play short passes, triangles, one-two’s, and then look to spring a visionary ball forward. 

He ideally needs a partner who will also rotate with him, create movement and space, engage with him in the triangles, give and go’s etc. 

Nagy has arguably been our best player since November, but he isn’t a complimentary partner to Bakinson. Nagy has shown he is very good off the ball, recovery runs, interceptions etc, but when in possession he’s looking for a different game than Bakinson is looking for. 
That’s not a criticism of either of them, but as a pair they don’t compliment. And this game is all about finding partnerships. 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t want to be overly critical of Bakinson, as he’s not ready for this level of football week in week out just yet and is only playing because of injuries and poor recruitment decisions. 

However, when he does play, he’s in there to do a job and we as fans have every right to critique - fairly. 

What I see so far with Bakinson, and it was particularly evident tonight, is a huge inconsistency. 
He will do one thing that looks excellent and super-composed, but will then do 5 or 6 terrible things, through sloppiness or casualness. 

You can see he has talent and potential, but his game is nowhere near ready for the opponents he is facing - players at this level can quickly work him out, as evidenced by their 2nd goal where their midfielder has sussed his game and knows 100% he can read that short pass. 

The most frustrating thing, and I’ve noticed this on a few occasions already, is the desire to track back - particularly when it’s your own mistake. 
When he made that pass straight to Luton for the Bentley save, he just strolled back as they were attacking - if he’d sprinted he could have made it as far back as to putting pressure on their striker prior to his shot. 
For me, that is an absolute basic of football - if you give the ball away, you sprint your backside off to get back into a defensive position to try to put it right. 

I’ve seen this 3 or 4 times now, tonight was the worst. And it’s a part of his game I really do not like. 

Compare it to when Adam lost the ball by the near touchline about half way inside their half and sprinted three quarters of the length of the pitch to get goalside in the penalty area of the bloke who nicked it off him. He does that every time he (rarely) loses the ball - my mistake, my job to put it right.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Compare it to when Adam lost the ball by the near touchline about half way inside their half and sprinted three quarters of the length of the pitch to get goalside in the penalty area of the bloke who nicked it off him. He does that every time he (rarely) loses the ball - my mistake, my job to put it right.

100%. You know I’ve been a critic of Nagy’s, but one thing you can’t fault is his desire to recover an error. 
That one for Bakinson last night, he stuck his arms out as if to say “not my fault”, then lolloped back, before holding his arms out again when the striker got the ball in a kinda “where were you” to our cbs. 

It’s one of my biggest bugbears. Readers may remember that it was one of the things I chastised Joe Bryan for regularly. Bakinson looks to be in the same mould. 

“Get the **** back, ******* sprint” ought to be the instructions from the bench!! 

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I’d also add. I don’t think he’s got a midfield partner alongside him to ‘compliment’ his game. 
Bakinson is clearly the type who wants to play short passes, triangles, one-two’s, and then look to spring a visionary ball forward. 

He ideally needs a partner who will also rotate with him, create movement and space, engage with him in the triangles, give and go’s etc. 

Nagy has arguably been our best player since November, but he isn’t a complimentary partner to Bakinson. Nagy has shown he is very good off the ball, recovery runs, interceptions etc, but when in possession he’s looking for a different game than Bakinson is looking for. 
That’s not a criticism of either of them, but as a pair they don’t compliment. And this game is all about finding partnerships. 

I posted the same last night....I don’t think Nagy and Bakinson work as a pair alongside each other.  I think both would prefer to be a “one” and have more advanced thinking players to do the breaking of lines etc, whilst knowing their role is to sit in front of the defence and distribute from there.

Whilst Bakinson was out, Nagy had Pato and COD.

Earlier this season, Bakinson had Weimann and Paterson.

Its about roles and responsibilities.  As a pair playing square of each other, they are both confused and confusing each other.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

100%. You know I’ve been a critic of Nagy’s, but one thing you can’t fault is his desire to recover an error. 
That one for Bakinson last night, he stuck his arms out as if to say “not my fault”, then lolloped back, before holding his arms out again when the striker got the ball in a kinda “where were you” to our cbs. 

It’s one of my biggest bugbears. Readers may remember that it was one of the things I chastised Joe Bryan for regularly. Bakinson looks to be in the same mould. 

“Get the **** back, ******* sprint” ought to be the instructions from the bench!! 

Spot on.

From the off last night I just thought he didn’t look up for it, very early he took a knock & it looked serious but clearly wasn’t, at no stage did he seem to think “this is where I started, I’ll show them what they are missing”, he repeatedly gave the ball away, often in dangerous areas & as you say, barely broke sweat to ever get back, if you look at the one where Bentley bails him out after 1 (of the 3!) times he sells Kalas short, he ambles back after at least 2 Luton players who make up far more ground than him.

With regards to Nagy, firstly his workload in the continued absence of so many others is just completely ridiculous, last night was his 16th start in the last 2 months & fit as he is, he badly needs a break.

I know time between games has been limited but I genuinely don’t think the midfield seem to know each others’ roles, I am a bigger fan of Nagy than you but on occasion (possibly to cover the deficiencies of team mates?) he goes hunting the ball & we then look completely open.

With Williams, Walsh & Brunt all missing for a minimum of another month (let’s be realistic here, it will probably be 2 before any of them are fit & then it will be Brunt) we seem to have no other options but there is a good reason Kalas & Vyner are top of the block stats in the division & what is in front of them is a very big part of it.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One might argue that him and Nagy as a two (in either a 352 or 442) might not be a great pairing.  I don’t see them working as a pair, helping each other.  Sometimes pairings just don’t gel.  They look like two individuals in there.

Tyreeq did some nice things tonight, but he did some awful stuff too.

The midfield 3 didn't work last night. HNM out on the left, totally wrong. I feel sorry for him, he must be desperate to go elsewhere and play, as it looks like he isn't going to get into a DH midfield unless everybody else is injured. There's no point in him staying at City.

Archived