IGNORED

Wells

redsocks

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Playing him on the left for weeks has hardly helped.

Played a part in the goal tonight, but we've turned a 1 in 3 striker into something worse. Clearly QPR half season wasn't his normal level but usually a solid 1 in 3 at this level.

A bit different playing central with Eze and Oseyi Samuel smashing in the assists than the thankless task he has on the left side for us

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Did well for the assist (a brilliant pass by Semenyo) & think he has played far worse than he did tonight.

Also, bet if he had stayed on he would have been far closer to Tommy Rowe’s late cross than Semenyo or Bell were..

but then would have mis hit it. but we will never know. 

17 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I'm all for giving Sam Bell a start.

Wells is a senior pro, well proven at this level. I know he rarely starts in his favoured position but he's been really disapointing recently and would be deservedly dropped IMO.

I don't really understand putting him on for 5 minutes at the end of a game. What does that say? 'We've lost. Go on and get your match bonus.' Wells continues to underwhelm, so I'd at least want to give Bell 20 minutes. But then playing with four 'attacking' players when Fam is brought on almost suggests we have no effective strategy or tactical understanding. That menatlity is like junior school playground football.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry, simply not good enough.  We need to move on

He was the top scorer in the championship when he came to us so what’s happened? You don’t turn into a bad player overnight, it’s happened to too many of our players I’m afraid. 

14 minutes ago, Red said:

Play as the front man alongside Bell, drop Martin and if he still is showing a lack of interest get rid of.

I have read this sort of comment a couple of times now.

Bell is what, 18? & has touched the ball about twice in his 2 sub appearances.

What on earth makes you think he is ready to start Championship football games?

We have Semenyo, Diedhiou, Martin & Wells, all have different strengths & weaknesses but seriously suggesting a young lad should start in front of 3 of them is just absolutely ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have read this sort of comment a couple of times now.

Bell is what, 18? & has touched the ball about twice in his 2 sub appearances.

What on earth makes you think he is ready to start Championship football games?

We have Semenyo, Diedhiou, Martin & Wells, all have different strengths & weaknesses but seriously suggesting a young lad should start in front of 3 of them is just absolutely ridiculous.

Bell has scored more this season then any one else, he has to start somewhere, this is our problem we don't try the youngsters enough. Shows you have not a lot of confidence in youngsters as well.

Just now, Der no.2 said:

Accept that, but useless overall.

I'd certainly like Gregor to be asking "So Dean, apart from scoring another hattrick, what does Championship golden boot winner Nacki Wells bring to the team?" Sadly I think I've got more chance of the 1970s Lynda Carter returning my calls.

Players like Wells basically need 3 things

1. Consistent games in their favoured position - Wells is best as a poacher. It's where he's had the most success in his career. Play him as one - pointless forcing him to 'do a job' on the wing, regardless whether he 'puts a shift in' or not. 
  2. Consistent strike partner - On paper, someone like Martin would be great foil for Wells. Chopping and changing his partner and formation doesn't help him either.
  3. Service from midfield - At QPR, Wells had great service from the likes of Eze. We don't really have that now and don't play a formation that creates many chances. Even if we changed our style of play to focus on wing play and balls into the box someone like Wells would probably get more goals due to the amount of half chances it would create.

As it stands, he's still our most natural goalscorer so probably should be our main forward. If we don't fulfil the 3 criteria above then he's not going to perform to the best of his ability.

Poachers at this level, see Pitman as mentioned above, usually have very focused strengths and thus big weaknesses. Failure to capitalise on his strengths will lead to him performing poorly and being a big chunk of our wage budget wasted. 

I go back to the Afobe or Wells choice (If ever there was one)

Apart from flashes I don't see much link up play at all with Wells before he gets into the box.

With Afobe there was so much more to his game.

For Wells to flourish he needs an abundance of attacking opportunities otherwise he looks disinterested and under te current coaching regime we don't create many chances.

7 minutes ago, big dosser said:

due to all are centre forwards being low on confidence i would bring palmer back and give him a chance along side wells. Its all about finding the right partnership. I feel palmer and wells could hit it off like palmer did with benik

I would definitely bring back Kasey Palmer. We need someone with the ability to beat a man and play an attacking pass . Yes he might fall over or beat two men then pass it straight to one of their players . But I would rather watch that than what we are currently watching. 

16 minutes ago, big dosser said:

due to all are centre forwards being low on confidence i would bring palmer back and give him a chance along side wells. Its all about finding the right partnership. I feel palmer and wells could hit it off like palmer did with benik

He's probably the closest we have to replicating someone like Eze who Wells thrived with. Palmer and Afobe also linked up really well last season. I also feel that we probably need wingers or at least some width to our play to create more chances for players like Wells. 

Archived