IGNORED

Holden interview on RB

SouthStand Sandwich

8 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Unless the Ashton control structure changes Holden will only get replaced by a similar type whatever happens

This is a good point and to add to it from my perspective: I have got absolutely no faith whatsoever that if by some miracle Holden was sacked, that Ashton and SL would make the right appointment anyway. 

Was it Mark Ashton going on a national radio station talking about "breaths of fresh air" then sanctioning the appointment of Dean Holden a few weeks later? If Steve Lansdown didn't agree with the appointment of Dean Holden forced upon him by that evil monster Mark Ashton couldn't Steve have simply grown a pair and said "eh Mark, it's my ******* club and I'm not having that appointment. Nice try now go and find me a proper Manager?". Couldn't he? Has Ashton got the bloke in some form of drug induced trance or something? 

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree.

Whilst Ashton would no doubt have been behind the proposal it would all come back to SL as ultimate decision maker.

I’ve said here a few times now there is no way Holden is going anywhere. SL will not admit he’s made yet another appointment mistake any time soon; it will be at the end of the season at the earliest and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets another season as well.

I don’t agree with it of course and never approved the appointment in the first place, it’s just how I think things will play out based on the behaviour and approach we’ve seen before. 

I fear your right mate sl will persist with holden for the foreseeable futre and when hes finally forced into making a change he will stubournly stick to his formula and promote from within in the folorn and futile hope that one day it might just come off step up paul simpson

Just now, Banjo Island said:

I fear your right mate sl will persist with holden for the foreseeable futre and when hes finally forced into making a change he will stubournly stick to his formula and promote from within in the folorn and futile hope that one day it might just come off step up paul simpson

Out of likes here mate but unfortunately I agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Oh great. Another DH out thread to add to the 457 others on here.

Pointless because it isn't happening right now however many moans and topic appear on the subject. People need to get used to it. If you are angry then blame the right people not the bloody fall guy in all this!!

Why do so many people on here still thinking changing coaches is like waving a magic wand and all the players suddenly become better? Occasionally you might get a confidence bounce for a few games but long term every time a change is made when the current manager has been in the job less than a year or so then the trend is down. It's what happened to us after GJ left the last time we were in the Championship and I'm sure SL won't be making that mistake again. Look at teams like Wednesday and Forest who keep changing coaches and are sliding down to the relegation zone, it just doesn't work. Dean Holden needs to be given to the end of the season as a minimum then the owners can assess and judge what to do next.

I know people talk about injuries and some can’t be helped, but I’m convinced DH’s training is not helping.

It’s been documented DH gave them a tough pre-season so they can be one of the fittest teams in the divisions.....did he do too much? Especially after the short summer.

And then, with the squad decimated, week after week of 2 games a week - we get 8 days to recover before Christmas and they play a very competitive 11 v 11 at the club - and lo and behold, next game, we lose COD and various others are subbed with muscle problems.

All clubs get injuries, but at a certain point you have to look at patterns and root causes.

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We may get ourselves in such a mess that without a change being made some fans will simply make the decision not to return. Season ticket holders are not immune to the effects of Covid...........3K kept their hands in their pockets and waited this season.

My thoughts exactly, if things on the pitch keep spiralling downwards and fans don’t get back in this season, I can see many more not bothering to renew. It’s just not enjoyable watching the crap on the pitch at the moment. 
It’s an entertainment industry and emerging are certainly not being entertained.

Current coaching set up just don’t seem to be able to motivate the players. 

5 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

And my opinion is, if he stays till the end of the season, we'll be relagated, on present form 

I think that if we start really falling into relegation trouble then a change would be made. 
We might have enough in the bag already. Not guaranteed, but we might.  

23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Oh great. Another DH out thread to add to the 457 others on here.

Well not 457 more probably 4 or 7. The few that there is have been for valid reasons and not just blaming DH directly. The whole culture of the club starting at the top needs to be questioned 

3 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

The structure and wages offered was for a coach not a manager 

It took 6 weeks to realise no one externally fitted into that role - hence the amount of time it took - otherwise we would have just given it to Holden 

Its glaringly obvious now 

You must of been on the interview panel. What was the feeling when some great coaches / managers in football walked out of the interviews shaking their heads.

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I know people talk about injuries and some can’t be helped, but I’m convinced DH’s training is not helping.

It’s been documented DH gave them a tough pre-season so they can be one of the fittest teams in the divisions.....did he do too much? Especially after the short summer.

And then, with the squad decimated, week after week of 2 games a week - we get 8 days to recover before Christmas and they play a very competitive 11 v 11 at the club - and lo and behold, next game, we lose COD and various others are subbed with muscle problems.

All clubs get injuries, but at a certain point you have to look at patterns and root causes.

When Burnley had a lot of injuries recently it was reported that Dyche ordered a review of their fitness, training and medical regimes. Surely any sensible club would do the same?

17 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Why do so many people on here still thinking changing coaches is like waving a magic wand and all the players suddenly become better? Occasionally you might get a confidence bounce for a few games but long term every time a change is made when the current manager has been in the job less than a year or so then the trend is down. It's what happened to us after GJ left the last time we were in the Championship and I'm sure SL won't be making that mistake again. Look at teams like Wednesday and Forest who keep changing coaches and are sliding down to the relegation zone, it just doesn't work. Dean Holden needs to be given to the end of the season as a minimum then the owners can assess and judge what to do next.

To some degree but if your navigator can’t read a map, do you stick with them, hope they figure it out or get lucky?

I’m not an advocate for switching managers/coaches mid-season but I can’t really fathom what DH, KD & PS will do. We have felt so League One all season.

Forest & Weds are slowly picking up points after terrible starts, so too are Derby. Add Barnsley also doing well after changing coach. Therefore all managerial changes in our league have yielded a positive outcome so far.

45 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We may get ourselves in such a mess that without a change being made some fans will simply make the decision not to return. Season ticket holders are not immune to the effects of Covid...........3K kept their hands in their pockets and waited this season.

I was one of them.

I made the decision I wasn't going to financially support what I saw as SL's pet project - LJ - any longer.

Disagreed strongly with his appointment from the start and had reluctantly renewed my ST ever since.

I see DH's appointment as just a continuation of the same under another name, so for the first time in 50 years this era of Bristol City is not for me.

2 hours ago, bris red said:

I don’t know Dean Holden so i may be wrong on this but he comes across as even more stubborn then LJ. The bloke won’t walk and certainly not from undoubtedly the best paid contract he has ever had in his life. Even just 12 months of this would probably set him and his family up so i think we need to get used to the continued BS that he will spout in his post match interviews - the guy is DESPERATE to keep this gig even more so than LJ.

For me the inquest into WHY he was appointed needs to start, those idiots need to be held accountable. For all our shiny new facilities and supposed strides forward we have made Bristol City Football Club is as toxic at the core as it has ever been IMO. A whole football club being run by two or three idiotic mens egos.

How much do you reckon Holden is on?

20 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think you have to have some inside info to know this rather than listen to sound bytes .

Every coach will say they wanted the fittest side.

I genuinely don’t think there were enough players to have a competitive 11v11 in the sense you’re taking that comment.

Holden told us pre-season was shaped by him and Andrew Rolls whilst an appointment was still being made.  Holden was announced the day before the players returned.  Pre-season is usually a standard affair of building up fitness over a number of weeks, combining friendlies to get minutes into the legs, etc etc.  This pre-season was different.  Not only the rest gap between end of season and start of pre-season but also the condensed timeframe too.  I’m sure a lot of thinking went into and you might argue we came out of the traps flying.

But I think it’s right to question whether it has caused medium term impacts too?  But I think that is one for Rolls more than Holden...unless he is disregarding their input.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

When Burnley had a lot of injuries recently it was reported that Dyche ordered a review of their fitness, training and medical regimes. Surely any sensible club would do the same?

@Sheltons Army suggested an independent audit the other week.

2 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

To some degree but if your navigator can’t read a map, do you stick with them, hope they figure it out or get lucky?

I’m not an advocate for switching managers/coaches mid-season but I can’t really fathom what DH, KD & PS will do. We have felt so League One all season.

Forest & Weds are slowly picking up points after terrible starts, so too are Derby. Add Barnsley also doing well after changing coach. Therefore all managerial changes in our league have yielded a positive outcome so far.

The teams you mentioned at the end are all still near the foot of the table and in a much worse situation than we are. Even if you think Holden is not a very good coach the other two have been there, done it. Our season has been decimated by injuries and the games we've lost recently (eg Luton, Rotherham) are ones we've historically always struggled with even when on a good run so let's just judge at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

I honestly think unless we enter the relegation zone he will stay until the end of the season. 

Absolutely, this is the case and it makes you wonder what state the club will be in come the end of the season. Unless things pick up, the confidence will disappear from the team and we’re going to drop down the table big time. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How much do you reckon Holden is on?

I think you have to have some inside info to know this rather than listen to sound bytes .

Every coach will say they wanted the fittest side.

I genuinely don’t think there were enough players to have a competitive 11v11 in the sense you’re taking that comment.

Holden told us pre-season was shaped by him and Andrew Rolls whilst an appointment was still being made.  Holden was announced the day before the players returned.  Pre-season is usually a standard affair of building up fitness over a number of weeks, combining friendlies to get minutes into the legs, etc etc.  This pre-season was different.  Not only the rest gap between end of season and start of pre-season but also the condensed timeframe too.  I’m sure a lot of thinking went into and you might argue we came out of the traps flying.

But I think it’s right to question whether it has caused medium term impacts too?  But I think that is one for Rolls more than Holden...unless he is disregarding their input.

@Sheltons Army suggested an independent audit the other week.

Fair comments, and I could well be taking 2 + 2 and getting 5.

But then again when you see the growing injury list...you’ve got to ask the question!

Archived