IGNORED

Holden interview on RB

SouthStand Sandwich

8 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

The knee jerk bit wasn’t really aimed at you (maybe should have made a separate post for that bit was just summing up my feeling to the overall reactions to Holden. - really responding to the bit about recent form.  I definitely don’t think of you as knee jerk - arguably the forums most balanced poster. 

I agree we have just about the numbers to play a five, but I think he wants Semenyo in as he gives us something a bit different in terms of attacking threat.

and there lies part of the problem.  Go play Semenyo he went 433, which pushed Wells to LW.  A further tweak to 442 meant AS now RW and Callum LW...a further compromise.

The 352 worked in many respects even initially when Weimann got injured, because even Fam and Antoine had to be content with small minutes to make their mark, so really motivated to try and oust Martin and Wells.  Everyone on their toes.

But through compromise he deviated.  A couple of wins playing 433 versus Cardiff and a Derby....then a very solid 0-0 versus Watford with a makeshift back 3, where we probably shaded the game through a late flurry.  But because we poor v Reading in 352 it started the the thoughts about 433 again....which was crap first half at QPR, tweaked to almost be a 4213 (with COD) second half.  Come Birmingham a disciplined display first half saw us on top but not really threatening in a 433....which became a 442 second half, not even the 4213 we’d seen at Brum.  It’s become muddled thinking.

I think a part of not playing a five is not having a player comfortable playing  left side - Mawson and Baker both injured, but I think the fact we don’t really have any creative midfielders available has meant him changing things higher up the field and thus going to a 4 to accommodate that. We have Paterson, Williams (to an extent), Wieman, Walsh, O’dowda all unavailable. If we get one or two of them back and or bring back Palmer (and are prepared to play him - still think question marks around him) then I think we will go back to 5. I think recent style of play and formation is about trying to maximise what’s available.

I don’t disagree personnel choices weren’t optimal, but Mariappa and Kalas could’ve played LCB.

it’s not easy being a football manager I’m sure, but I think you can make things harder than they need to be at times.

Archived