IGNORED

Rene Gilmartin

Superjack

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He also managed to big up his other ‘love’ COD on several occasions.

He was accurate in most of his assessments though; re Massengo being played out of position for example.

I finished the last twenty minutes of the game on ‘ mute’ because the commentator, Toby or not Toby something ,is a complete numpty. 

We could be six nil down with two minutes to play and the bloke would be saying ‘ so, two minutes for City to get something out of this match ‘.

Another little annoying thing he says is ‘ corner ball . It’s a corner, just a frigging corner.

:tv_horror:

Yes bugs me too. 

much refer Radio Bristol commentary. 

I feel sorry for the guy - he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Clearly intelligent and talented - but is having to tow the company line. Tinnion is the same now TBH when he is on.

I hate the thought that he is tainted at the club by the current management team, because I think he will be a good manager one day.

My advice to Rene, keep it factual and simple from now on, less is more. You don't need to make excuses for the club.

2 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Can you ever have unbiased viewpoints when the commentary is paid for by the club?

Yeah... unless of course there’s a culture of fear inside the club where no one is allowed to constructively criticise. 
Good leaders would welcome honesty and fair challenge to their ideas and model of working. 
I’ve no idea what the culture is like inside the world of Bristol Sport but I know what I’d guess at. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is that a fact Pete?

Just I’d be surprised if it took that high a wage to pick up a back-up keeper who’d been released by Colchester?

Was widely reported by Gregor. Whole thing seems a bit odd. Was clearly never going to play and has been a coach since he came in but was announced as a player 

Just now, petehinton said:

Was widely reported by Gregor. Whole thing seems a bit odd. Was clearly never going to play and has been a coach since he came in but was announced as a player 

When I met him last Xmas he was still wanting to be a player, but it seemed club were pushing coaching....which makes the signing strange in the first place.

3 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Exactly it’s a pretty difficult job. Are people really expecting him to slate our players and then turn up for training with them the next day?

My one advice to RobinsTV would be we’d rather hear nothing than ‘positive vibes’ at inappropriate times. Grumpy men - know your audience.

Honest appraisal and slating aren't the same thing. 

He has the option to acknowledge what's in front of his nose without treating the audience like a bunch of gullible numpties. 

As many have said, its tough gig for any employee and they are on a hiding to nothing either way!

I think Rene and Tinn's both do a good job and I like hearing them talk, but everyone, including Toby the main commentator needs to be slightly less positive, when its clear to everyone that the game is awful and we are playing poorly.. 

2 hours ago, Walshy said:

One of Rene's favourite phrases is 'turn-overs'. This is a rugby term so I'm not really familiar with it.

I'm guessing it means win possession / breakaways ?

"Transition" is the more typical footballing term but it's the same basic idea - a change in the team in possession. Generally used to refer to that happening in open play.

Essentially it's a tackle, interception, misplaced pass or the like. It could also apply to the ball going out of play for a throw in/corner/goal kick, but generally because those situations give the team that loses possession time to reset they are treated separately.

Conceding many "turnovers" is bad not just in terms of raw possession but also because you'll increase the number of times you have to switch from attack to defence - and that is a vulnerable time as you're team is out of its defensive shape and open to a counter attack. We saw textbook examples of this vulnerability last night with Bakinson's misplaced passes in midfield.

Further reading is a google away - https://www.jhse.ua.es/article/view/2019-v14-n1-transition-attack-elite-soccer

14 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Jesus F Christ - no wonder he’s always got a smile on his face. 

I never even heard of the guy when he signed, 200k a year to coach the under 23s. He’s really landed on his feet with us.

Tell me about it, he was rarely first choice in League Two at Colchester, yet he initially gets a two year gig for the non job of being our 3rd choice keeper, something Jojo Wollacott (another one who is surely finally destined to leave us next summer) could quite easily have done.

To be fair to Holden he inherited this mess, which is why Gilmartin doesn’t appear to be even registered as a player this season & so is assistant of the U23s.

Pretty certain he will be on far more than Alex Ball, who has been in “temporary” charge of them for ages, so cannot see this farcical situation continuing beyond the summer.

Until lat night Gilmartin had been good as a summarizer. This is supported by the fact he kept coming back, as the reaction had been universally positive

However, last night was a step to far. The commentator and him were not briefed on FD only having 30 minutes in him due to injury, so the incessant conversation about what Fam thought about being on the bench was grating. The droning of garbage as if supporters could not properly understand what they were watching throughout the match was galling at best.

The Downey character really is terrible, he looks awful and as a friend put it, seems to be trained by the North Koreans as his ability to drone official club bollox is relentless....Last night Gilmartin did the same....This I feel has made the reaction to GT and his terrible interview with Holden even more severe. GT is typically a good interviewer when being a proper journo type, but last night was way to sycophantic from both the coverage from BCFC and GT. 

I know there are a few having  their moment of fame live after the match on radio Brizz and I know its been a bum year (Ive had the bloody disease) but for the love of god keep your complements (and thoughts on 2020) off air it capped off a lousy evening perfectly and set a tone where the manager was completely mis handled after another defeat!

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Until lat night Gilmartin had been good as a summarizer. This is supported by the fact he kept coming back, as the reaction had been universally positive

However, last night was a step to far. The commentator and him were not briefed on FD only having 30 minutes in him due to injury, so the incessant conversation about what Fam thought about being on the bench was grating. The droning of garbage as if supporters could not properly understand what they were watching throughout the match was galling at best.

The Downey character really is terrible, he looks awful and as a friend put it, seems to be trained by the North Koreans as his ability to drone official club bollox is relentless....Last night Gilmartin did the same....This I feel has made the reaction to GT and his terrible interview with Holden even more severe. GT is typically a good interviewer when being a proper journo type, but last night was way to sycophantic from both the coverage from BCFC and GT. 

I know there are a few having  their moment of fame live after the match on radio Brizz and I know its been a bum year (Ive had the bloody disease) but for the love of god keep your complements (and thoughts on 2020) off air it capped off a lousy evening perfectly and set a tone where the manager was completely mis handled after another defeat!

I got the impression earlier this season that Gilmartin was actively involved in activities at Failand and therefore party to tactical discussion, etc.

However a couple of times recently he’s been as in the dark as all of us.  The Diedhiou injury being one, but also 433 graphic pre-game, when it was 442....and then even questioning whether Rowe was LB or LCB last night.  Whether the clear bubble split from Failand has influenced this I don’t know, but it’s the third time in recent weeks the team graphic has gone up and it’s been wrong.

I've not been enjoying Gilmartin for a few weeks now, for me Tinman is the gold standard - lots of insight but calls it like it is, and expects more of players if they under deliver and tells you why, without being anything less than professional. Gilmartin has also illuminated matches with tactical insight, but he's become far too prone recently to simply talking everything and everybody up.

I know the explanation is "it's the club's channel, they will spin things" but I really don't understand why they need to? This isn't a PR exercise and frankly if they wanted to use live coverage to generate affinity for the club then feeding us patronising nonsense is the worst possible way to do it when you could be delivering the unbridled realism of football that has always been a proven drug for fans. 

Football is drama and if you're not winning, the best drama is warts and all, feeling the odds are stacked against you but giving it a go. There is really no drama at all in Gilmartin and Osborne gushing cheerily with praise as the team self destructs, it's possibly the worst combination for creating any interest in the viewing supporter. Tinman is free to speak, not sure why Gilmartin doesn't do so.

5 hours ago, Walshy said:

One of Rene's favourite phrases is 'turn-overs'. This is a rugby term so I'm not really familiar with it.

I'm guessing it means win possession / breakaways ?

Noticed this ages ago too - turnovers and phases - well worn rugby phrases and I’ve almost certainly never heard any other footballing pundit/commentator use them. But he’s a Dublin boy and over there I guess rugby parlance is more common in everyday language. 

I like him. 

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly this.

I think he is one of the most baffling signings we have made in years, (a 30 something League Two reserve goalie) but someone who I thought was decent as a summariser early on.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to him next summer, as no way will he get paid the same money as the U23 assistant as he has just got for 2 years on a playing contract.

His agent certainly earns his money. It’s mental really. 

41 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've not been enjoying Gilmartin for a few weeks now, for me Tinman is the gold standard - lots of insight but calls it like it is, and expects more of players if they under deliver and tells you why, without being anything less than professional. Gilmartin has also illuminated matches with tactical insight, but he's become far too prone recently to simply talking everything and everybody up.

I know the explanation is "it's the club's channel, they will spin things" but I really don't understand why they need to? This isn't a PR exercise and frankly if they wanted to use live coverage to generate affinity for the club then feeding us patronising nonsense is the worst possible way to do it when you could be delivering the unbridled realism of football that has always been a proven drug for fans. 

Football is drama and if you're not winning, the best drama is warts and all, feeling the odds are stacked against you but giving it a go. There is really no drama at all in Gilmartin and Osborne gushing cheerily with praise as the team self destructs, it's possibly the worst combination for creating any interest in the viewing supporter. Tinman is free to speak, not sure why Gilmartin doesn't do so.

I totally agree. 

There's another thread at the moment about "What would you do differently". Others have neatly summarised some of the tactical switches, but for me I'd also change the messaging. When the coaches say "we're going to play front-foot football" and we then pass sideways every time we win the ball - you get a disconnect that fans do pick up. Likewise when we're sat watching our midfield get dominated again, and then at HT Gilmartin tells Downsy that he saw some really positive, attacking football.

As I said above, Weimann was like listening to the shipping forecast on a wet Sunday, but at least he was critical. There's a difference between that and being negative - and the coverage is better when there's honesty rather than propaganda.

Most frustrating is that the club is actually capable of this - here's Kalas post our opening day win v Coventry. We won of course but he openly says there's a lot of room for improvement. Even more frustrating is that this kind of stuff doesn't get negative feedback - I pasted the comments below and they're positive (ok only four of them).

image.png.e06d6f0b6ab4a72f43dc1153e6e32713.png

4 hours ago, Olé said:

Sack Downsey. Ole in!

YES YES YES!

Archived