IGNORED

What would you do differently?

Dan24

Genuinely interested as to what you’d all do differently with our squad and tactics if you were Dean.

All very quick to blame him when we’re on a bad run but qclearly some of you don’t understand football enough to look beyond the manager.

We have 10, yes 10 first team players out injured, we can’t field a full bench and 4 of the 8 players on that bench have accumulated about 30 minutes of first team experience. So what team would you pick if you were Dean? Because apparently in our current situation you’re all expecting us to get maximum points.

No team can possibly sustain a winning, consistent run with the heavy schedule and the injury problems we have. We have no creativity in midfield, which is where the bulk of our injuries are and sadly until we get a few back we’re going to struggle to create.

When we had a much larger squad to pick from we played much better football and picked up a lot of points. So to blame Holden is absolutely ridiculous and deluded. Give the man a chance for god sake we’re not even halfway through the season.

1 minute ago, Dan24 said:

Genuinely interested as to what you’d all do differently with our squad and tactics if you were Dean.

All very quick to blame him when we’re on a bad run but qclearly some of you don’t understand football enough to look beyond the manager.

We have 10, yes 10 first team players out injured, we can’t field a full bench and 4 of the 8 players on that bench have accumulated about 30 minutes of first team experience. So what team would you pick if you were Dean? Because apparently in our current situation you’re all expecting us to get maximum points.

No team can possibly sustain a winning, consistent run with the heavy schedule and the injury problems we have. We have no creativity in midfield, which is where the bulk of our injuries are and sadly until we get a few back we’re going to struggle to create.

When we had a much larger squad to pick from we played much better football and picked up a lot of points. So to blame Holden is absolutely ridiculous and deluded. Give the man a chance for god sake we’re not even halfway through the season.

I wouldn't play Massengo left midfield.

2 minutes ago, Dan24 said:

Not a great start to a post

If you read the forum properly you will find that there are plenty of varying opinions as to who is to blame and to what degree , from SL to the tea lady

Just now, Bassomylord said:

I wouldn't play Massengo left midfield.

Neither would I but not much other choice. Started central and then moved him left to play Nakhi further forward. Massengo playing left mid amazingly still had a better game than Bakinson who would struggle to get into the England blind team.

2 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Agreed. We haven’t had a good 90 minutes all season. Stoke arguably the exception but they were tripe that day. 

K

3 minutes ago, Dan24 said:

Unfortunately I don’t agree with your proposition that we played much better football with a larger squad. 

Just now, Dan24 said:

Neither would I but not much other choice. Started central and then moved him left to play Nakhi further forward. Massengo playing left mid amazingly still had a better game than Bakinson who would struggle to get into the England blind team.

There was another choice.

Bentley

Hunt vyner kalas mariappa rowe

Bakinson nagy massengo

Wells Martin

352. No square pegs in round holes.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Not a great start to a post

If you read the forum properly you will find that there are plenty of varying opinions as to who is to blame and to what degree , from SL to the tea lady

Most of what I’ve read is people blaming SL and MA for appointing a bad manager. The same manager with a near fully fit squad had us almost top not too long ago. People have seriously short memories and ridiculous expectations.

1 minute ago, hollydog said:

K

Unfortunately I don’t agree with your proposition that we played much better football with a larger squad. 

Results would say otherwise? Or are we playing better now we can’t field a bench?

With the personnel we currently have, and given the fact that Holden’s ‘Plan A’ was 3-5-2, I’d stick with that. 

He dropped the 3 at the back when we were short of centre backs. He’s now got 4 fit ones but is still playing 2. 

Marriappa, Kalas & Vyner should be the starting 3 cb’s. 
He wanted the system to operate with a deep midfielder partnering 2 attack-minded CM’s. 
Weimann & Paterson were his chosen 2 for those latter roles. He needs to find the best 2 options for those roles. Tonight, that probably meant Nagy holding (he’s the best at that role), with Bak & HNM as the other 2 - Bak in a box to box type role (pato’s role) HNM the one to play more behind the strikers (Weimann’s role). 

Then have Wells and Semenyo up front. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

No someone from the club I expect 

3 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

There was another choice.

Bentley

Hunt vyner kalas mariappa rowe

Bakinson nagy massengo

Wells Martin

352. No square pegs in round holes.

Absolutely agree we should revert back 2 this formation for a period - although Semenyo was bright tonight. But even then doing that, we’ve still not got the squad to really compete until a few especially in midfield come back.

2 minutes ago, Dan24 said:

Most of what I’ve read is people blaming SL and MA for appointing a bad manager. The same manager with a near fully fit squad had us almost top not too long ago. People have seriously short memories and ridiculous expectations.

I don’t think he is a ‘bad manager’ as such...just not what Steve Lansdown was strongly suggesting after the departure of Johnson.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

With the personnel we currently have, and given the fact that Holden’s ‘Plan A’ was 3-5-2, I’d stick with that. 

He dropped the 3 at the back when we were short of centre backs. He’s now got 4 fit ones but is still playing 2. 

He wanted the system to operate with a deep midfielder partnering 2 attack-minded CM’s. 
Weimann & Paterson were his chosen 2 for those latter roles. He needs to find the best 2 options for those roles. Tonight, that probably meant Nagy holding (he’s the best at that role), with Bak & HNM as the other 2 - Bak in a box to box type role (pato’s role) HNM the one to play more behind the strikers (Weimann’s role). 

Completely agree with this. Currently lacking the creativity in midfield with Pato, Weimann and I assume now O’Dowda out - Nagy, Massengo, Bakinson only option so let’s hope they all stay fit.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just now, Dan24 said:

Completely agree with this. Currently lacking the creativity in midfield with Pato, Weimann and I assume now O’Dowda out - Nagy, Massengo, Bakinson only option so let’s hope they all stay fit.

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t think he is a ‘bad manager’ as such...just not what Steve Lansdown was strongly suggesting after the departure of Johnson.

Yeah, that’s true. But saying that I think respectively Holden has done a better job than Hughton has done so far at Forest!

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would have got Semenyo on that Pearson tonight. Not Massengo. Either put Semenyo left centre forward drifting wide onto Pearson or just put Semenyo left wing. 

Haven’t seen enough of Pearson to agree but that’s one of our current issues isn’t it.

Same with Bell coming on, relying on academy players who haven’t really played a minute for us to make up the numbers and even make the difference.

I’d need more than the time I’ve got tonight to reply, but in my simplest response....

....I would’ve stuck with my 352 that I drilled all summer, and accepted that it might not work some games, but all my squad would know exactly what was expected of them in whatever position, so that when they got their chance (which they inevitably would in a hectic season) they knew what to do.  If that meant some players had to wait their turn, so be it.

I said pre-season that I’d be very careful who I loaned out, and be cruel to be kind with some, e.g. Pring, delay his development whilst assessing the impacts of covid scheduled season.

re tonight, probably very similar to what @Bassomylordposted up above, but I’d have gambled on starting Fam and getting 45-55 out of him.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’d need more than the time I’ve got tonight to reply, but in my simplest response....

....I would’ve stuck with my 352 that I drilled all summer, and accepted that it might not work some games, but all my squad would know exactly what was expected of them in whatever position, so that when they got their chance (which they inevitably would in a hectic season) they knew what to do.  If that meant some players had to wait their turn, so be it.

I said pre-season that I’d be very careful who I loaned out, and be cruel to be kind with some, e.g. Pring, delay his development whilst assessing the impacts of covid scheduled season.

re tonight, probably very similar to what @Bassomylordposted up above, but I’d have gambled on starting Fam and getting 45-55 out of him.

I’d have liked Fam to have started also, but apparently he’s carrying a knock so understandable.

I’m surprised he’s moved away from the 3-5-2 considering we’ve now got 4 available centre backs. In my opinion I think we’re trying to compensate our lack of creative options in midfield by building Wells, Martin and Semenyo into the same line-up hoping they’ll pull the team forward.

It’s going to be a long few weeks that’s for sure with our run in, especially if we don’t have any players return soon. Really hope we can turn a corner when our depth improves to what we thought it would be at the start of campaign.

15 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Dean - you have a typo in your username mate.

Probably need to be a bit more realistic in our current situation fella. Not going to win every game with our squad.

But fair play had a lot of people laughing at that joke.

Worked on position, shape, attacking play etc in training. 

The amount of times we knock the ball wide to someone and no-one is in the box or even making runs. The amount of times a CB or DM is on the ball and there's no movement around in front of them.

To be our only plan is get the ball out wide and play it across the box for someone to tap in. We have no other attacking threats, and its obvious.

29 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Not sold eliason then played wingers 

Impossible for Dean on the basis once Eliasson refused to sign a new contract the sale would have been forced on him. I presume the only reason(s) Famara is still here is because a) there's been an indication that a contract can be reached or b) no one wanted him in the summer for a price we were willing to sell for and the price of him walking at the end was better to have him around for a season than what was on offer.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If I have one concern about that, its age and pace- who is the LCB in that shape, Vyner I'm guessing?

The concern caveat comes with the assumption that we'd be playing a fairly high line- though I suppose 3 at the back would leave more chance of covering than say a back 4, ie 2 CBs with Mariappa high up/in a back line pressing high.

At times tonight, it felt, to me anyway, a bit 'Sunday league'. Put loads of strikers on.

Message to Dean, you could have 10 strikers on the pitch but if the service they receive is as non existent as ours currently is, none of them will get chances to score.

We need creativity so, so badly. Get KP45 back or find some form of midfielder with positive attacking intentions that has the vision to see the incisive passes we no longer try. Get that player to load the bullets for these strikers who have previously proven they can score at this level. Sit a couple of defensive players behind him and at least give us hope.

The present garbage is neither entertaining, successful or anything but League 1 standard football. Our multi £Million side is currently a pathetic shadow of its' individual parts.

Yes, I accept we have a daft amount of injures but there were still players costing well over £25M on our side this evening and they played like strangers with little to no game plan or pattern of play. 

If, as I suspect, nice guy you may be, you have no idea what to do, can I respectfully suggest this job is too big for you with all possible respect and thanks for trying.

I would've dropped Rowe for Moore or Mariappa. Rowe is clearly a weak link. I would've also be looking at promoting another left back from the U23's when Dasilva went out injured. DH seems to be waiting and pinning his hopes on Cam Pring who's been playing League 1 football when the transfer window opens.

I would've kept Massengo on the pitch and started with Fam. 

I would've given Vyner a rest as he picked up a back injury Saturday.

Not sure playing an unfit Dhiedhiou is doing his injury any good and I do wonder if that led to COD's injury lay off. All bad management but what you would expect from someone as inexperienced as DH.

Archived