IGNORED

You never win anything with ‘our’ kids

ohhhshauntaylor

27 minutes ago, grifty said:

Quick, what else can we find to puttee club down with!?

Even though our u23s are currently 3rd in their league, the majority of players are 18/19, and 6 of the best are sat on our bench every week.

Yep, it’s the ‘find anything to bash the club with’ time of the season. 

Expect to read calls to sack the tea lady, the chef at Failand and a ‘come and buy us’ plea to Hargreaves. 

My fear is that the Club’s much-vaunted DNA has permeated right through the Academy and to the young imports.  

We’re soft, play safe, crab football and haven’t bred brave leaders, winners or battlers.

Somebody needs to grab these guys by the lapels - as Divvy did - and say you’re playing for Bristol ******* City, we fight smart and expend every last ounce of energy. Now get out there and have some friggin pride in the shirt. This is your opportunity to prove your value to us. 

Don't give them the soft option of buggering off to some other Club every 6-12 months. Challenge them to prove themselves here and now, or get out.

Contrast us to Leeds, who were at the same exact level as us for several seasons. Winners, leaders and fighters.

Just look at Ayling. Looks like he will run through brick walls for them and their manager.

We need a complete review of the football side of Bristol Sport. First move for me, get an Under 23 (reserve) side that plays to a plan, develops partnerships (remember those?), leaders, and wins at all costs. 

Just now, RedRock said:

My fear is that the Club’s much-vaunted DNA has permeated right through the Academy and to the young imports.  

We’re soft, play safe, crab football and haven’t bred brave leaders, winners or battlers.

Somebody needs to grab these guys by the lapels - as Divvy did - and say you’re playing for Bristol ******* City, we fight smart and expend every last ounce of energy. Now get out there and have some friggin pride in the shirt. This is your opportunity to prove your value to us. 

Don't give them the soft option of buggering off to some other Club every 6-12 months. Challenge them to prove themselves here and now, or get out.

Contrast us to Leeds, who were at the same exact level as us for several seasons. Winners, leaders and fighters.

Just look at Ayling. Looks like he will run through brick walls for them and their manager.

We need a complete review of the football side of Bristol Sport. First move for me, get an Under 23 (reserve) side that plays to a plan, develops partnerships (remember those?), leaders, and wins at all costs. 

I elect you to run the youth sides. Clearly you’ve got a plan. ‘Right kids, no loans to gain experience in men’s football, either you prove yourself every effin u23 match and men’s match or you’re out the door’

Bet that’ll work. 

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Are you saying none of the Leeds team went on loans? Sorry the soft option.

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What the OP also ignores is that these “kids” are being run into the ground with our schedule because we have nobody to take their place. In an ideal world you give Bakinson, Semenyo and maybe even Vyner five or six matches and when they show signs of flagging you pull them out for a few games, tell them why you’re doing it, work in their weaknesses in training then let them have another go.e

Our lads are learning on the job but not getting that opportunity to take a break on the bench and come back a better player until the penny finally drops and you have an established player on your hands. 

Agree in Bakinson & Semenyo’s case but do think even with limited options Holden is still too inflexible.

Last night he had a very experienced pro in Mariappa available but Hunt was pressed into service yet again after having stitches in his ankle (apparently he had to come off because they were causing him discomfort) he also had Moore available, so could have played him in a back 3 or played him instead of Vyner.

Luton may have more options but made 6 changes last night, once O’Dowda was ruled out you could predict what Holden would do, but giving Hunt a rest wouldn’t have weakened us greatly & we would have benefited in the long run.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

There has been a long trough....  Bobby and Joe left 2 years ago

Notice you leave out Lloyd who would’ve stepped up as a regular for last season had he not been sold. Joe Morrell had he not moved as wel this season would have seen a lot of football, thought well enough to earn a move to another champ club, so two more academy players of championship standard in that 2 year period.

There’s plenty of players worth criticising before the young players who are still learning their trade. Have a bit of patience and watch them develop, not all will make the grade but I’m sure plenty of them will. 

The rare case of an academy player bursting on the scene and having a good season will see them leave to go to a top club, as it’s extremely rare. Look at Jude Bellingham for example. Give them a chance, they might surprise you.

17 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

I elect you to run the youth sides. Clearly you’ve got a plan. ‘Right kids, no loans to gain experience in men’s football, either you prove yourself every effin u23 match and men’s match or you’re out the door’

Bet that’ll work. 

Thank you. I’ll accept that offer. 

I’ll arrange for our Under 23s to play men’s sides to toughen them up, if needed. By playing our youngsters together, at least we can develop a consistent style of play, develop an identity, leaders, winners and fighters. ...and, hey, we might even develop some playing partnerships - now that would be novel. 

Bit of tough love needed. 

Neil .... get your arse down here. 

Just now, RedRock said:

Thank you. I’ll accept that offer. 

I’ll arrange for our Under 23s to play men’s sides to toughen them up, if needed. By playing our youngsters together, at least we can develop a consistent style of play, develop an identity, leaders, winners and fighters. ...and, hey, we might even develop some playing partnerships - now that would be novel. 

Bit of tough love needed. 

Neil .... get your arse down here. 

I’m sure you’ll produce winners in this new 70s era of football. 

Can I please be a fly on the wall while you coach through the year?! ?

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Bakinson will prove you wrong. Slaughtering him on one bad game is silly and a complete over reaction. He’s got what it takes imo. He will learn from last night and as frustrating as it is that his learning cost us at least a point last night that’s where we are atm. I wouldn’t give up on Semenyo either, that pass for the equaliser was class. Vyner is coming along nicely.

The amount of crap aimed at Bakinson last night made me really cross - it was absolutely pathetic.  He’s a young kid, playing his first season at this level in a pivotal role who is showing great promise but will of course make some mistakes, as it’s a huge step up. Plenty more senior members  are worthy of criticism imho other than him. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

The amount of crap aimed at Bakinson last night made me really cross - it was absolutely pathetic.  He’s a young kid, playing his first season at this level in a pivotal role who is showing great promise but will of course make some mistakes, as it’s a huge step up. Plenty more senior members  are worthy of criticism imho other than him. 

Exactly. People want to see youngsters given the opportunity to break into the first team but seem unable to accept that they will make mistakes etc and then proceed to denounce the entire youth system at the club.

I said on Bakinson not sure. He looks up and passes forward. If he can become stronger and cut out the mistakes I think he could improve. 

But - Has to contribute in the opposition box more and also find the passes 30 yards up the pitch. Then we will have a player.

Will hey get there - Not sure

Forgot Lloyd. But as for Morrell jury is out. Not fancied here and not cemented a place in the Luton team. So not sure he supports any argument.

Also worth remembering Lloyd could not hold a first team place when here. Decent player ‘we’ did not think was good enough to be a regular starter. 

7 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Forgot Lloyd. But as for Morrell jury is out. Not fancied here and not cemented a place in the Luton team. So not sure he supports any argument.

Also worth remembering Lloyd could not hold a first team place when here. Decent player ‘we’ did not think was good enough to be a regular starter. 

Often you are paying for potential though, with Kelly that's what Bournemouth were doing primarily. 

13 hours ago, Better Red said:

When I said our academy was failing in producing 1st team players I got roundly slaughtered. 

Now after a quarter of a season gone it’s a good time to revisit the question.

The first point is we just don’t having kids coming through. 

We have a few in and about the first team at the moment but most have been in and around the team for a while.

Tinnion is getting praise for getting loans but for me that also says we are loaning them because we do t think they are good enough.

For me apart from Vyner I don’t think any player we have is actually ready to challenge the first team or be better than players we could bring in on free transfers. Edwards could be a possible      to progress but not seen enough.

Massengo - Dreadful miles off this level. Waste of Money and will leave on a free or be released next season

Seymenyo - Can’t score. Never beats his man on the outside and never seen him cross a ball. Flatters to deceive. Will be on the bench once players come back. Could make a decent league one player if can find the back of the net a few times a season. 

Taylor Moore - Not good enough at this level. Mariappa looks better and would start every time over him.

Bakinson - This is a difficult one. He does at least look to play forward. But takes to much risk and another who looks to weak at the moment for this level. But he is light years in front of Massengo.  Maybe a season to early.

O'Leary - At best league one or two keeper. Never challenge Bentley and only second choice as we have not signed another keeper. 

And that’s it. If we had the squad all available how many would play - 1 at best plus O’Leary.

How many would even make the bench 2.

How many will play in the Prem - None

How many will move to another championship team - One at best

How many will be in the first team next season on a regular basis - My guess One.

Do any of them really excite you ? 

Value? -  Without Vyner £1.5/2.0m  It’s not going to fund any new signings. That causes another problem as mostly we have to sell to spend. 

The hype around our academy says we have Players coming through the reality says it’s a group not quite good enough. 

So for me nothing has changed from the start of the season it’s failing to deliver and it’s time we took a hard look at why the players are not coming through. 

This should start to raise the warning bells as no sale of the kids equals no money to reinvest in the squad. We are maybe one or two seasons away from a relegation season unless things improve and the kids start to come through.

Agree with that - the most interesting thing for me is that Vyner was on his way out... yet he’s the only one making it! Who’s watching, assessing these players? 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree in Bakinson & Semenyo’s case but do think even with limited options Holden is still too inflexible.

Last night he had a very experienced pro in Mariappa available but Hunt was pressed into service yet again after having stitches in his ankle (apparently he had to come off because they were causing him discomfort) he also had Moore available, so could have played him in a back 3 or played him instead of Vyner.

Luton may have more options but made 6 changes last night, once O’Dowda was ruled out you could predict what Holden would do, but giving Hunt a rest wouldn’t have weakened us greatly & we would have benefited in the long run.

I agree.

I think Dean has slipped up and forgot his basics.  He even played Tommy Rowe at LCB to keep to his 352, but a bit of inconsequential success at Huddersfield with a 433 and then an improved second half going 442 at PNE has clouded his mind.

He now has CBs to play 352, and also rest 1 each game.  He could’ve easily have gone:

Vyner | Kalas | Moore | Mariappa | Rowe

last night, or other combinations too.  When (if) Pring returns then Rowe can get a rest too.

The midfield needs sorting a bit in terms of roles and responsibilities but the back 3/5 can give us a better foundation.

3 hours ago, lenred said:

I don’t mind the criticism of some of Bakinson’s play last night, but it’s only fair to say he did some good things too.  That’s the problem with many posters that they form a view from one moment of play and can’t change.  Not only to they do that in a single game, they then can’t look beyond that in other games, so in the case of Bakinson, because of last night, in some people’s minds he is now a crap player.

FWIW I didn’t go overboard with praising Bakinson early this season, because it was only 5 or 6 games, and although it was hugely encouraging it wasn’t without fault, but it’s less under the microscope when you’re winning.  He has some good habits and bad habits....those bad ones are being highlighted at the mo’.  He needs to go back to basics, concentrate on doing the good things again.  He’s a promising talent, but he wouldn’t be the first young player to play half a dozen games and come under attention from the opposition.  He just needs to break through this little learning curve.  The Championship is brutal, especially in CM.

From Holden’s point of view he needs to decide who out of Nagy and Bakinson is gonna play the deeper, central role and the other has to play the more box-to-box role.

With no real other midfield options, I would either go with:

Bakinson

Nagy | Massengo

or:

Nagy

Bakinson | Massengo 

in front of the back 3 / 5

Yeah, it’s not the strongest looking line-up whichever way you look at it, but I genuinely think the way we isolate ourselves in wide positions in the 433 and 442 I’ve seen of late, I’d much rather go back to basics.  Players playing in position!!!

You can play whoever you want up top....but I’d gamble in starting Diedhiou, even if it’s for 45 mins.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.

I think Dean has slipped up and forgot his basics.  He even played Tommy Rowe at LCB to keep to his 352, but a bit of inconsequential success at Huddersfield with a 433 and then an improved second half going 442 at PNE has clouded his mind.

He now has CBs to play 352, and also rest 1 each game.  He could’ve easily have gone:

last night, or other combinations too.  When (if) Pring returns then Rowe can get a rest too.

The midfield needs sorting a bit in terms of roles and responsibilities but the back 3/5 can give us a better foundation.

I don’t mind the criticism of some of Bakinson’s play last night, but it’s only fair to say he did some good things too.  That’s the problem with many posters that they form a view from one moment of play and can’t change.  Not only to they do that in a single game, they then can’t look beyond that in other games, so in the case of Bakinson, because of last night, in some people’s minds he is now a crap player.

FWIW I didn’t go overboard with praising Bakinson early this season, because it was only 5 or 6 games, and although it was hugely encouraging it wasn’t without fault, but it’s less under the microscope when you’re winning.  He has some good habits and bad habits....those bad ones are being highlighted at the mo’.  He needs to go back to basics, concentrate on doing the good things again.  He’s a promising talent, but he wouldn’t be the first young player to play half a dozen games and come under attention from the opposition.  He just needs to break through this little learning curve.  The Championship is brutal, especially in CM.

From Holden’s point of view he needs to decide who out of Nagy and Bakinson is gonna play the deeper, central role and the other has to play the more box-to-box role.

Bakinson

Nagy | Massengo

or:

Nagy

Bakinson | Massengo 

Yeah, it’s not the strongest looking line-up whichever way you look at it, but I genuinely think the way we isolate ourselves in wide positions in the 433 and 442 I’ve seen of late, I’d much rather go back to basics.  Players playing in position!!!

You can play whoever you want up top....but I’d gamble in starting Diedhiou, even if it’s for 45 mins.

That’s our issue, we can’t pick up on Bakinson’s bad habits, rest him and get him to lose those habits. If anything we are OVER playing the young ‘uns to the point that it will be harder for them to lose bad habits. Being rested is actually important but atm we can’t do it.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

It was Lloyd's first full season and he made 32 league appearances, we definitely thought he was good enough but at CB we had Kalas and Webster who were amongst the best partnerships in the league and fighting at LB we had Dasilva who was Lloyd's competition also at England youth level and having a good season in his own right.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s our issue, we can’t pick up on Bakinson’s bad habits, rest him and get him to lose those habits. If anything we are OVER playing the young ‘uns to the point that it will be harder for them to lose bad habits. Being rested is actually important but atm we can’t do it.

Can’t we coach it out of him....

Players are playing and not improving.

Seymenyo has can’t score if he is being coached it’s not working.

Massengo can’t tell what the need to coach him on as not a clue what player he is.

As for rest him, he’s 20 not 16. 

The academy and coaching is not right and needs addressing if we won’t to improve

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

Can’t we coach it out of him....

Players are playing and not improving.

Seymenyo has can’t score if he is being coached it’s not working.

Massengo can’t tell what the need to coach him on as not a clue what player he is.

As for rest him, he’s 20 not 16. 

The academy and coaching is not right and needs addressing if we won’t to improve

Yeah, you still rest 20 year olds in the league we play in if they need it. Not because they aren’t fit, it’s mentally draining for most young players to play in a league which is often described on here as brutal.

You cannot bin lads like Bakinson on one really bad game when the boy has already proven he’s got what it takes to run a game at this level. If you’re going to go with younger players you have to accept they will have mixed performances.

Semenyo is not improving in ONE area of his game so he’s just got to keep working at it until it does get to standard. Did you see the pass he played last night for the equaliser? Top drawer, no argument. Only Pato and Bakinson in our squad see that pass let alone execute it. That isn’t his only major contribution he has made in goals we have scored either.

If you want consistency week after week either pay bucket loads for proven players or fill your team with 30 year olds and accept you will have different issues to contend with. Look at Vyner who is starting to show what can be achieved by sticking with youth when you know they have the talent, albeit our injury crisis is a huge factor in working in his favour!!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.

Bakinson

Nagy | Massengo

or:

Nagy

Bakinson | Massengo 

How about this  - No kids

Bentley
Vyner Mariappa Kalas Hunt

Rowe       Nagy

Bakinson

Martin

Wells.   Fammy

Bench - Seymenyo  & Edwards and that’s about it for subs. 

play either Mariappa or Vyner at left back.

Rowe would add a bit more steel to the middle.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, you still rest 20 year olds in the league we play in if they need it. Not because they aren’t fit, it’s mentally draining for most young players to play in a league which is often described on here as brutal.

You cannot bin lads like Bakinson on one really bad game when the boy has already proven he’s got what it takes to run a game at this level. If you’re going to go with younger players you have to accept they will have mixed performances.

Semenyo is not improving in ONE area of his game so he’s just got to keep working at it until it does get to standard. Did you see the pass he played last night for the equaliser? Top drawer, no argument. Only Pato and Bakinson in our squad see that pass let alone execute it. That isn’t his only major contribution he has made in goals we have scored either.

If you want consistency week after week either pay bucket loads for proven players or fill your team with 30 year olds and accept you will have different issues to contend with. Look at Vyner who is starting to show what can be achieved by sticking with youth when you know they have the talent, albeit our injury crisis is a huge factor in working in his favour!!

I keep saying Bakinson is the one not sure about. He is the only one to look up and pass forward. But that pass is to deep at the moment to impact the game.

If he is making the same mistake in there half I actually don’t have a problem with that. On the edge of our box not so happy with. He has to take responsibility for that decision. But the coaches have got to see the potential and see if they bring it out of him. They are not doing that for me at the moment.

Seymenyo is more straight forward for me. Great pass but can you tell me when he beat his man on the outside. Can you tell me a single cross he has made.

He has got to score for me we can’t have players who play in a front 3 who can’t score, outpace the defenders or cross a ball. At the moment he can’t do 1 out if 3. So either we improve him with better coaching or he ain’t good enough.  The last thing we need is another COD.

5 hours ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Exactly. People want to see youngsters given the opportunity to break into the first team but seem unable to accept that they will make mistakes etc and then proceed to denounce the entire youth system at the club.

I’m one of those. I don’t mind them making mistakes, Vyner does and I still think he’s pretty impressive and worthy of a first team place.

What I struggle with is somebody giving the ball away/losing a 50:50 and not busting a gut to win it back. That’s not anything to do with youth or inexperience, it’s DNA. ... DNA that has been allowed to be developed at our Club. 

I’m also struggling a little with someone, who is played and promoted as a striker, not scoring a league goal in 20 odd league appearances. That’s a tadge worrying, particularly when ex-pros say he’s not a natural striker. 

If our ‘player development’ strategy is operating as it should, basics like this should have been sorted from Day 1-100, not Day 1,000.  

3 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I keep saying Bakinson is the one not sure about. He is the only one to look up and pass forward. But that pass is to deep at the moment to impact the game.

If he is making the same mistake in there half I actually don’t have a problem with that. On the edge of our box not so happy with. He has to take responsibility for that decision. But the coaches have got to see the potential and see if they bring it out of him. They are not doing that for me at the moment.

Seymenyo is more straight forward for me. Great pass but can you tell me when he beat his man on the outside. Can you tell me a single cross he has made.

He has got to score for me we can’t have players who play in a front 3 who can’t score, outpace the defenders or cross a ball. At the moment he can’t do 1 out if 3. So either we improve him with better coaching or he ain’t good enough.  The last thing we need is another COD.

Semenyo has a number of assists from crosses. Huddersfield and Cardiff for starters. Obviously hitting the onion bag is an obvious weakness that he really needs to address. I also think he needs to look after the ball better at times like second half on Saturday but tbf Martin and Wells were equally as guilty of that and made what should have been a straightforward win difficult.

One of the issues we have is the crazy fixture list due to Covid just doesn’t give players enough time to work on their OWN game. Today would have been a rest day then the next two days will be spent working on how we are going to try and totally shithouse a result at Brentford.........good luck with that??

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

I’m one of those. I don’t mind them making mistakes, Vyner does and I still think he’s pretty impressive and worthy of a first team place.

What I struggle with is somebody giving the ball away/losing a 50:50 and not busting a gut to win it back. That’s not anything to do with youth or inexperience, it’s DNA. ... DNA that has been allowed to be developed at our Club. 

I’m also struggling a little with someone, who is played and promoted as a striker, not scoring a league goal in 20 odd league appearances. That’s a tadge worrying, particularly when ex-pros say he’s not a natural striker. 

If our ‘player development’ strategy is operating as it should, basics like this should have been sorted from Day 1-100, not Day 1,000.  

Dunno if you’ve noticed but football’s no longer about players running around like headless chickens....

Archived