IGNORED

We deserve better than this

Top Robin

Many City fans have supported this club for 40, 50, 60 and even 70 years and have little success to celebrate despite investing so much time and money in supporting the club.

It is a disgrace that we have never been in the Premier League which has been going for almost 30 years.

We can add this season as yet another write off and the way we are performing, it looks like any promotion could be some years away.

Bristol is a large, thriving and economically developed city which is the 10th biggest in England and for both football teams to be where they are is so poor.

Some folk on here are clearly content with mid-championship mediocracy but thankfully most of us want and deserve more. 

To say Bristol is just not a footballing city does not cut it with me - look at Brighton, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Southampton, Reading, Swansea, Watford.

I think the core of the problem is that we have set up for the Premier League with the ground, training facilities etc but we wont invest in an equivalent quality manager and Steve Lansdown is happy with a cheap, 'yes man' option.

Whist this policy goes on we will continue to languish in the Championship or worse and that is not acceptable.

Lansdown once said he wanted 20k fans in the ground every week and then that would show we are ready for Prem football.

Well here we are with a 22k average at the last count and still losing every bloody time to the likes of Luton 9k, Preston 12k, Millwall 12k, Brentford 10k, Rotherham and laughably below Barnsley 11k (rough figures) 

Why do we deserve more? Firstly, it’s a very over dramatic thing to say when talking about football and secondly, I don’t think “we” do. The support of this football club is so fair weather and demanding we deserve nothing.

you could say the same about Most clubs I am sure but I’m fairly tired of how truly petulant our fans show themselves to be. 

we are one of 72 clubs fighting for the same thing, with the ‘promised land’ being rotated generally between a select few because they got on the gravy train early. Other teams try to win football matches too and you don’t always get what you want shocker. Deal with it and support the team

31 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Many City fans have supported this club for 40, 50, 60 and even 70 years and have little success to celebrate despite investing so much time and money in supporting the club.

It is a disgrace that we have never been in the Premier League which has been going for almost 30 years.

We can add this season as yet another write off and the way we are performing, it looks like any promotion could be some years away.

Bristol is a large, thriving and economically developed city which is the 10th biggest in England and for both football teams to be where they are is so poor.

Some folk on here are clearly content with mid-championship mediocracy but thankfully most of us want and deserve more. 

To say Bristol is just not a footballing city does not cut it with me - look at Brighton, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Southampton, Reading, Swansea, Watford.

I think the core of the problem is that we have set up for the Premier League with the ground, training facilities etc but we wont invest in an equivalent quality manager and Steve Lansdown is happy with a cheap, 'yes man' option.

Whist this policy goes on we will continue to languish in the Championship or worse and that is not acceptable.

He is building the SL empire atm and seems his attention is on real estate build.

A considerable investment in BCFC staff would be needed to push for the prem a risk that he is steering clear of atm as its his money and I think he doesnt have the confidence or advisers to do so. So he has selected the safe option of us just keeping the club ticking over.

What does the future hold? who knows, I think it would be very difficult now to escape the "empire" in the future even if someone else wanted to take us on as we are part of something else. "This is The Way" the SL Way nothing we can do "The Force" is not with us. ?

24 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Why do we deserve more? Firstly, it’s a very over dramatic thing to say when talking about football and secondly, I don’t think “we” do. The support of this football club is so fair weather and demanding we deserve nothing.

you could say the same about Most clubs I am sure but I’m fairly tired of how truly petulant our fans show themselves to be. 

we are one of 72 clubs fighting for the same thing, with the ‘promised land’ being rotated generally between a select few because they got on the gravy train early. Other teams try to win football matches too and you don’t always get what you want shocker. Deal with it and support the team

Those who have invested so much money and time over 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years of supporting the club certainly deserve better......only loyal, long-standing fans may get this. 

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Well done Top Robin you have hit the nail on the head. 

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Those who have invested so much money and time over 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years of supporting the club certainly deserve better......only loyal, long-standing fans may get this. 

Ok so I have supported the club for 30 years so thank god I just about qualify to have an opinion! So I’ll continue.

I’ll narrow it down a little more, as we are in the second division 24 teams vying for 3 spots. 12.5% chance you will be one of them each year, with 7 of those backed by parachute payments and not even all of them are occupying the top spaces.

it’s an elite boys club the prem with some very official yo yo memeberships, the odd newbie might squeeze through and that is what we will aim to be one day and hope to establish ourselves. But there’s no deserve, deserve comes no way into this. there is support, luck and the stars aligning.. that is it. 

steve lansdown has no magic wand to make premier league football happen, do you not think he would have waved it by now? He runs the club as he sees fit as he deserves to do as he is the one fronting the cash. He is not beyond question of course but he’s wants a stable football club which needs to be the first and foremost of any business, now we just need to find the right formula which, as 72 clubs will attest, is hard to find.

”deserve” I loves it

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Ok so I have supported the club for 30 years so thank god I just about qualify to have an opinion! So I’ll continue.

I’ll narrow it down a little more, as we are in the second division 24 teams vying for 3 spots. 12.5% chance you will be one of them each year, with 7 of those backed by parachute payments and not even all of them are occupying the top spaces.

it’s an elite boys club the prem with some very official yo yo memeberships, the odd newbie might squeeze through and that is what we will aim to be one day and hope to establish ourselves. But there’s no deserve, deserve comes no way into this. there is support, luck and the stars aligning.. that is it. 

steve lansdown has no magic wand to make premier league football happen, do you not think he would have waved it by now? He runs the club as he sees fit as he deserves to do as he is the one fronting the cash. He is not beyond question of course but he’s wants a stable football club which needs to be the first and foremost of any business, now we just need to find the right formula which, as 72 clubs will attest, is hard to find.

”deserve” I loves it

Ffs...It's the long standing fans that deserve it, not the club...and there is a difference, but once again the feelings and aspirations of these true, loyal fans get ignored. 

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Ffs...It's the long standing fans that deserve it, not the club...and there is a difference, but once again the feelings and aspirations of these true, loyal fans get ignored. 

So what we should do is add up all the years of support, miles travelled to watch the games and money spent from every club, and the club with the most gets to win the prem because their fans deserve it the most.

15 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Haven’t fans from every club done this then? Surely Notts County deserve it more for having been in existence longer? Football doesn’t work like that re the fans. 

Most of my 30 years supporting we have been a league 1 or lower half championship side. We now have a decent infrastructure and the club is able to attract decent players - I think once football goes back to normal and we don’t have a team injuries, Holden will rightly be judged. Until then he is fire fighting sadly.

For all the stick SL gets (some of it fair and some of it ridiculous) we at least have a stable club with no chance of going bust or have points deducted. He’s made mistakes - but I don’t see a queue or other investors waiting to come in so I can’t say I’m screaming for someone new. It’s a thankless task really .

1 minute ago, grifty said:

So what we should do is add up all the years of support, miles travelled to watch the games and money spent from every club, and the club with the most gets to win the prem because their fans deserve it the most.

Exactly - ludicrous ?

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

”deserve” I loves it

SL runs a business of which any director or partner in any company is in the roll to make money. Nothing else but money at the end of the day for himself and the share holders.

he has not got a magic wand and even if he did he would probably be better doing an impression of Harry Potter. 

We all want prem football as I’m sure you do at the best rugby venue in the south of England.

there is also no stars that need to be aligned or any luck, all we need at BCFC is a dedicated owner that understand football 

If Lansdown was serious about promotion he would have gone for it this season with a top level appointment & reinforced the squad with top 3 level players, to me it was an opportunity to stretch the boundaries of FFP as all clubs will face losses due to reduced income.

It shows us he’s not prepared to roll the dice on reaching the PL and we have to get there by luck of having a team of up & coming players and coaches who happen to click at the right time.

The club just need to stop all the promotion rhetoric, you don’t hear Barnsley saying they are PL club in waiting. We’re not so different to them if you take away the fancy stadium & training facilities. 

I think perhaps what the OP means is that we deserve an Owner/Chairman/CEO that backs up their ambitious statements with actions that support them.

If they're sole interest is keeping the club comfortable in this division, and financially sound, then that's entirely reasonable, but maybe having the honesty to admit this would be refreshing.

39 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

‘Waaaaaahhh waaaaah I’m a long standing loyal fan who deserves to see my team in the top flight’

Newsflash pal-life ain’t like that. You can cry all you like that you ‘deserve’ to see City in the top flight again, doesn’t entitle you to it. 

Bloody snowflakes. 

4 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

‘Waaaaaahhh waaaaah I’m a long standing loyal fan who deserves to see my team in the top flight’

Newsflash pal-life ain’t like that. You can cry all you like that you ‘deserve’ to see City in the top flight again, doesn’t entitle you to it. 

Bloody snowflakes. 

Ha, did Manuel get your eggs wrong this morning 

This is a laughable thread. 

Human beings deserve food, water, shelter, reasonable health care, a chance at an education and safety. Billions don't have these things. Yet you want to throw your self entitled toys out of your self entitled pram because 'my football team is not in the Premier League'. Waaah Waaah Waaah. Grow up!

Newsflash. Most football fans who attend matches regularly are not watching their side in the Premier League and many of those never will. Why do you deserve better than someone who regularly watches Mangotsfield and has done for 50 odd years? You don't! 

Now take your opinion back to the sandpit which may help absorb the torrent of tears gushing from your blubbering face. 

14 minutes ago, reddoc said:

I think perhaps what the OP means is that we deserve an Owner/Chairman/CEO that backs up their ambitious statements with actions that support them.

If they're sole interest is keeping the club comfortable in this division, and financially sound, then that's entirely reasonable, but maybe having the honesty to admit this would be refreshing.

Your second paragraph is spot on imo. I have long believed that is exactly the aim and would have no problem with an honest admission of that.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Your second paragraph is spot on imo. I have long believed that is exactly the aim and would have no problem with an honest admission of that.

Let’s say that they came out and said that. Have a guess what the reaction would be. 

Steve is damned if he does, damned if he don’t.

Says he wants top flight football- ‘he’s just saying that to fob us off!’

Says we just want stability it’s- ‘we’re so unambitious’. 

Says nothing- ‘urgggh no ambition/it’s disrespectful to us fans who really own the club, he’s just a custodian’

ad nauseam, ad nauseam. 

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agree, if SL came out and said, I want to make the club sustainable, live within it's means, etc BUT this is at a cost of high wages and transfer fees until the right time. I'll still invest in the squad, facilities, etc but it's a slow process where one season it may click and we get in the play offs, another it might not and we'll have a mediocre season but stick with it.

I reckon 95% of City fans would go "yeah fair enough"

31 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

This is a laughable thread. 

Human beings deserve food, water, shelter, reasonable health care, a chance at an education and safety. Billions don't have these things. Yet you want to throw your self entitled toys out of your self entitled pram because 'my football team is not in the Premier League'. Waaah Waaah Waaah. Grow up!

Newsflash. Most football fans who attend matches regularly are not watching their side in the Premier League and many of those never will. Why do you deserve better than someone who regularly watches Mangotsfield and has done for 50 odd years? You don't! 

Now take your opinion back to the sandpit which may help absorb the torrent of tears gushing from your blubbering face. 

Spot on! We don’t deserve anything in Football.

But we should expect the clubs actions to be aligned with the narrative they push. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Quick, everyone tell all the other clubs that "Top Robin" says we DESERVE to be in the prem, so if they could just allow us to go up as we DESERVE too, that would be great.

Maybe deserve was the wrong choice of word, but you can't argue that by now with the likes of Bournemouth getting there Cardiff, Huddersfield, and the likes of Swansea all similar clubs to us in terms of support ground capacity etc we should by now have at least spent the odd season in the top flight, nobody has a god given right to be there but it's frustrating watching similar size clubs to us getting there not once but often multiple times whilst we seem to tread water, not sure what the magic formula is but maybe our choice of managers could be the reason. 

Archived