IGNORED

We deserve better than this

Top Robin

Deserve is perhaps the wrong word to use. However, the points are actually well made. Bristol is large city, it can support a PL club no problem. It has a billionaire owner, it will have shortly the infrastructure for PL football. BUT the key point for me is that "The board" and "SL" have said publicly that the PL is the goal.  Lee Johnson, love him or loathe him, was sacked because he failed to make the playoffs. The club create the hype about PL by stating that it is its objective. The fans thus judge the manager, the team and performances on stated (publicly) objective. The team is just outside the play offs but playing awful football. They look nothing like promotion material and the next 3 games will I think determine where we might end up. I think we will end up 12th or around it. Is that a successful season? The board gave Holden the hand grenade by saying publicly LJ did not meet the goal and thus that must surely be his target to. They also only gave him a 1 year deal. So I think you can safely say that if Holden does not make the playoffs he will be gone in the Summer too. I suspect the club are looking now at options.... Back to the point, no fans deserve PL football but the club must then be careful not to raise expectation levels because this affects the fans, the team and the manager. If stated aim is to play second tier football and perhaps flirt with the PL, then fine. But that is not stated aim. If it was LJ would still be in the dugout.

7 hours ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Let’s say that they came out and said that. Have a guess what the reaction would be. 

Steve is damned if he does, damned if he don’t.

Says he wants top flight football- ‘he’s just saying that to fob us off!’

Says we just want stability it’s- ‘we’re so unambitious’. 

Says nothing- ‘urgggh no ambition/it’s disrespectful to us fans who really own the club, he’s just a custodian’

ad nauseam, ad nauseam. 

You may be right though I can't speak for anybody else of course. Personally I prefer not to be lied to.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

You may be right though I can't speak for anybody else of course. Personally I prefer not to be lied to.

Christ on a bike, this is one of the reasons I’m falling out of love with football, fans constantly whining like entitled brats on social media. 

Maybe we should get a new owner who tells you we plan on doing nothing in future. Problem solved. 

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Those who have invested so much money and time over 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years of supporting the club certainly deserve better......only loyal, long-standing fans may get this. 

I think you will find the fans who have been about that long are not the ones who are moaning

Its the new wave of fans who have jumped into the football (which only started in 1992) bandwagon are the ones who moan the most

13 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Many City fans have supported this club for 40, 50, 60 and even 70 years and have little success to celebrate despite investing so much time and money in supporting the club.

It is a disgrace that we have never been in the Premier League which has been going for almost 30 years.

We can add this season as yet another write off and the way we are performing, it looks like any promotion could be some years away.

Bristol is a large, thriving and economically developed city which is the 10th biggest in England and for both football teams to be where they are is so poor.

Some folk on here are clearly content with mid-championship mediocracy but thankfully most of us want and deserve more. 

To say Bristol is just not a footballing city does not cut it with me - look at Brighton, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Southampton, Reading, Swansea, Watford.

I think the core of the problem is that we have set up for the Premier League with the ground, training facilities etc but we wont invest in an equivalent quality manager and Steve Lansdown is happy with a cheap, 'yes man' option.

Whist this policy goes on we will continue to languish in the Championship or worse and that is not acceptable.

To be fair to Lansdown, he did show ambition once by appointing Coppell and securing the services of David James. Both turned out to be a disaster. Perhaps this have influenced the decision making since. 

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

I think you will find the fans who have been about that long are not the ones who are moaning

Its the new wave of fans who have jumped into the football (which only started in 1992) bandwagon are the ones who moan the most

Well I'm an old man who is desperate at 77 years to see us in the top league again before the bloody virus or old age gets me!

But it won't happen soon if the crap we are currently dishing out continues much longer. It will be back to the third league yet again.

I've seen 8 promotions at City and 7 relegations, so beginning to expect an equalising year very soon.

12 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

When was the last time we were a consistently established second tier club? In the 1970s.

Something has gone very right since SL put his money in.

To be fair we've been in the Championship for 12 of the last 14 seasons, that's reasonably established.

13 hours ago, Basil Fawlty said:

‘Waaaaaahhh waaaaah I’m a long standing loyal fan who deserves to see my team in the top flight’

Newsflash pal-life ain’t like that. You can cry all you like that you ‘deserve’ to see City in the top flight again, doesn’t entitle you to it. 

Bloody snowflakes. 

Erm, I'm a long standing fan and HAVE seen our club in the top flight.

As most have said, naff all is deserved, it's earnt. 

15 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Why do we deserve more? Firstly, it’s a very over dramatic thing to say when talking about football and secondly, I don’t think “we” do. The support of this football club is so fair weather and demanding we deserve nothing.

you could say the same about Most clubs I am sure but I’m fairly tired of how truly petulant our fans show themselves to be. 

we are one of 72 clubs fighting for the same thing, with the ‘promised land’ being rotated generally between a select few because they got on the gravy train early. Other teams try to win football matches too and you don’t always get what you want shocker. Deal with it and support the team

If anyone was struggling to find the definition of a losing mentality then please look no further.

The Lansdown’s must love unambitious lemmings like this. 

Archived