Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

30 December 2017

Three years ago today, we went 1-0 up against Wolves in the 56th minute.

In that match we had 61% possession.  We made 551 passes against 355 for Wolves.

10 minutes later Frankie Fielding got sent off.

And here we are today.  

Scrabbling desperately for a very fortunate win against a mid-table League One quality side who outplayed us and then being out fought by another mid-table League One quality side.

I think this counts as on the slide.  The Board needs to act quickly before we slide off the edge.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, markcarter said:

In that match we had 61% possession.  We made 551 passes against 355 for Wolves.

And here we are today.  

Scrabbling desperately for a very fortunate win against a mid-table League One quality side who outplayed us and then being out fought by another mid-table League One quality side.

I think this counts as on the slide.  The Board needs to act quickly before we slide off the edge.

So it’s all Frankie’s fault.

Boo ! 
:ranting:

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Boo ! 

Clearly, Frankie had been told by Mark Ashton (via a tiny earpiece-my mate in the pub said that he saw Frankie putting it in as he came out the tunnel and there were suspicious Radio Rentals vans outside the ground that night) to deliberately get a red and help us lose. 

Marlon Pack told Neil Warnock when he joined Cardiff that he, too, had been informed by secret signals flashing in the corner of the Atyeo advertising hoardings to not clear the ball away from the corner and thus assist with Wolves’ second goal. 

Follow the breadcrumbs, this all adds up to a conspiracy to keep Uncle Steve rich: Cotts was onto it from the start-wonder why it’s taken him so long to get back into football? He had his mind wiped by the evil Jon Lansdown after he refused to play ball.

That wasnt Lee Johnsons real City. That was a short period when you could see what City were about. Weeks later Johnson had brought in Diony and Kent and Famara back up top and giant Bosnians. 61% possession bossing the ball replaced by lamping it long. Pace and workrate of high lines for paceless and dropping off. No more busy bees!! That was Lee Johnsons real City.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I think that’s very unfair.There were a period of several games at that time including the big cup matches where we played some fantastic football.

The puzzle is ,having achieved that standard and pattern of play ,how we veered so dramatically off it and the season fizzled out.

Since then we have sold our better players and recruited poorly and no longer have any recognisable format that is going to work.

Shame as this season the championship is wide open.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, markcarter said:

And here we are today.  

Frankie fielding left the building and the begining of the decline began

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

That wasnt Lee Johnsons real City. That was a short period when you could see what City were about. Weeks later Johnson had brought in Diony and Kent and Famara back up top and giant Bosnians. 61% possession bossing the ball replaced by lamping it long. Pace and workrate of high lines for paceless and dropping off. No more busy bees!! That was Lee Johnsons real City.

Haha, I posted something similar on another thread earlier.....he couldn’t see wit his own eyes what he’d stumbled upon with:

Fielding

Wright | Flint | Baker | Magnússon

Brownhill | Smith | Pack | Bryan

Reid | Paterson

and changed most of it, some of it enforced Will Pato’s illness.

• Like 1

I remember when Reid scored, a chant went up in the Dolman to the Wolves end 'we're coming for you' - that atmosphere was very old school and much like it used to be back in our bigger games in the 1990s.  Our failure to push on in that transfer window by bringing in Diony and Kent was very much like the 2007/08 season (Adebola and Carle) 

It just seems as a club we don't want to push ourselves out of our comfort zone sometimes to get to that next level, and we settle for our lot because that is what we are most comfortable with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, markcarter said:

And here we are today.  

That was THE high point since promotion. Been pretty awful since. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, I posted something similar on another thread earlier.....he couldn’t see wit his own eyes what he’d stumbled upon with:

Fielding

Reid | Paterson

Said at the time

With Cotts side as a base , was a healthy slim squad - all it needed was some quality additions and some cover

In many ways the best shape we've been in since promotion IMHO

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, markcarter said:

And here we are today.  

What a lot of possession as they had ten men from about the 15th minute.

When we have more than a handful of fit players to pick from then it’ll be fair to judge the new manager.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Boo ! 

No. It was LJ’s. 
Masterstroke to put Flint up front, but then a disaster to leave him there when we went ahead.At 1-0 Wolves couldnt get the ball and were literally walking around knackered. 
Flint shouldve gone back to CB and we couldve seen thatgame out no trouble against 10 men. 
Terrible decision and its like its been downhill ever since! 🤦‍♂️

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

No. It was LJ’s. 
Masterstroke to put Flint up front, but then a disaster to leave him there when we went ahead.At 1-0 Wolves couldnt get the ball and were literally walking around knackered. 
Flint shouldve gone back to CB and we couldve seen thatgame out no trouble against 10 men. 
Terrible decision and its like its been downhill ever since! 🤦‍♂️

Precisely, and I am still seething about this 3 years later. As soon as we scored I said to the bloke next to me in the South Stand now Flint goes back to his normal position. Now with 10 men, and 1-0 down if they want anything from the game they have to come at us, and we will be able to exploit gaps at the back. But no what does LJ in his wisdom do, leave Flint up top and we  get caught out where he should have been. I partly blame Fielding as well, no need to get sent off, as even if they had scored we would still have had a man over and time to get a winner.

41 minutes ago, Red Moseley said:

Precisely, and I am still seething about this 3 years later. As soon as we scored I said to the bloke next to me in the South Stand now Flint goes back to his normal position. Now with 10 men, and 1-0 down if they want anything from the game they have to come at us, and we will be able to exploit gaps at the back. But no what does LJ in his wisdom do, leave Flint up top and we  get caught out where he should have been. I partly blame Fielding as well, no need to get sent off, as even if they had scored we would still have had a man over and time to get a winner.

Yep. I know its heat of the moment stuff but Frankie shouldve left it alone. 
But yes, Flint there = no gap. 
It probably wasnt really the start of decline, too many games, injuries and tired bodies was, but it sure felt like the start of it. 

7 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

That team was shaped by injury and to play like that for a season it needs a squad ready to play like that. Johnson had not planned that way.

I mean, we could have looked at some replication in 2018/19 albeit with tweaks- in this lineup I am assuming Fielding and Smith out for months, as in real life:

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack Walsh DaSilva

Paterson

Weimann

We know Flint, Bryan, Magnússon, Reid got sold- we know Fielding and Smith injured.

Kelly as the LCB, able to tuck in and out fills the Magnússon role.

Webster and Kalas as a pair would be better on the ball than Flint and Baker- Baker a good first reserve. On the flipside, DaSilva certainly is less of an attacking threat than Bryan!

Walsh steps in for Smith and Maenpaa for Fielding, see injury.

Eliasson, O'Dowda, Taylor- these players can bring different attributes to the table, albeit the shape is now fading away from the 2017/18 one and the 2018/19 version.

Would suggest from our squad in 2018/19, and accounting for injuries especially to Smith, that is the closest equivalent. Had we somehow managed to keep Reid, could you imagine our pressing potential/ability had we still had Reid and Weimann! Morrell's games later in the season would also have shown him as an option- could look at the loan market in January too, for a Smith temporary replacement with the likes of Walsh and Morrell showing competition.

Ah forgotten about Hunt haven't I- and Pisano. Problem is, neither of them are RCBs and then the shape starts to falter a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
8 hours ago, markcarter said:

And here we are today.  

Wycombe I'll give you! Luton are not a League One quality side, they've worked their way up much like Barnsley- they're turning into a reasonable midtableish, lower midtableish Championship side- and tbh the latter ie Barnsley are ahead of us. Good home record too, Luton.

The gap between the style of football 3 years ago and now is crazy.  Holden said that at Luton we “passed the ball really well”, whereas the reality is it was as 💩 as pretty much any match this season.  Doesn’t give much hope of replicating the form of 3 years ago if he can’t see the difference.

On 30/12/2020 at 13:33, Davefevs said:

Fielding

Reid | Paterson

4 decent central defenders of whom 3 out of 4’s best attributes were defensive (Flint’s goal scoring was exceptional as a central defender), plus 4 midfielders who complimented each other very well. And finally 2 front players who were really very mobile and attacking midfielders, whose movement, through balls  and runs from midfield were hard for opposition defences to pick up.

And when they were good they were very good as a team. Remember both our goals against Man United were scored by 2 different midfielders, which usually implies good movement in the team and something that hasn’t happened very often since.

• Like 1
On 30/12/2020 at 11:33, markcarter said:

And here we are today.  

Remember that game as if it was yesterday.

Ate a dodgy pasty and was sick in my seat, then sick in the toilet and then again in the car park when I left at half time.

Cannot remember anything about the game.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, boatman said:

Remember that game as if it was yesterday.

Ate a dodgy pasty and was sick in my seat, then sick in the toilet and then again in the car park when I left at half time.

Cannot remember anything about the game.

We all remember your pasty.  I still recall the post you made about it vividly!  🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We all remember your pasty.  I still recall the post you made about it vividly!  🤣🤣🤣

Wow your right I did....

I started a whole thread on it and even got involved in discussions with the club about it.

Three years on and I have not purchased any hot food inside the ground.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1