IGNORED

Brentford v Bournemouth

Super

2 minutes ago, markcarter said:

We’re a bottom 6 team.  We got lots of undeserved points in the early games which have kept us in an elevated position.  

Bit of an exaggeration I think, let's wait until we get quite a few players fit again- did we notice how few injuries to first teamers these two had!

Bournemouth still have a strong squad, arguably should have survived last year on paper etc, Brentford had their strongest XI out there- save for Norgaard.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of an exaggeration I think, let's wait until we get quite a few players fit again- did we notice how few injuries to first teamers these two had!

Bournemouth still have a strong squad, arguably should have survived last year on paper etc, Brentford had their strongest XI out there- save for Norgaard.

Brentford also beat Newcastle with a virtual reserve side. Players can slot in because they have recruited and developed well, have a coherent approach and are well coached. Not things you can say about us.

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Brentford also beat Newcastle with a virtual reserve side. Players can slot in because they have recruited and developed well, have a coherent approach and are well coached. Not things you can say about us.

I noticed how many changes- albeit some first teamers came on.

Less first teamers than Newcastle that's for sure- yet from what I saw they were reasonably comfortable! I think they would have been a decent addition to the PL had they gone up last season- not least as they would have kept all first teamers and added both some quality and then quantity.

Still think some of the criticism of us by people is a bit harsh, but Brentford are some way ahead of us. Yet, yet- last 5 visits to Brentford, only one defeat.

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I know it’s been said before, but begs the question why so many injuries? I know, understand, and accept certain types of injuries just happen and are unavoidable, but to have so many, and long term at that. Is it to do with our pitch and the make up of it, with the plastic, is it the way they’re being trained, or not, if I was Lansdown I would certainty want this looked into. Saying all that, I still think we have good enough players to turn in better and more committed performances than we are seeing.

Just now, Hampshire Red said:

when you say 'we' do you mean our first team which i can promise you has not been seen or do you mean the reserves which you may have seen on tv?

From yesterday's team perhaps 3 players would start in our first team.

Three, really?

I reckon you could make a decent case for Bentley, Hunt, Kalas, Martin, and Wells being first 11 players. That's half the team. Possibly Rowe as well, at least as rotation and depending on formation.

Which three are you thinking?

Possibly only two. You guessed it right with Bentley and Kalas. Hunt was my third but I'd be happy swapping him for Edwards occasionally and mariappa if he was fully match fit. 

That's it! Martin wouldn't start every game if we had a fit Fam and Weimann available. 

And to mention Wells, I think you are joking or you haven't watched any of his last 6 performances. I am suggesting he has less skill than anyone on our books since Bas Savage and his attitude stinks. Walked down the tunnel on Tues - total disgrace and should have his wages docked. Can't blame Holden for his signing. 

Not should blame be given to anyone for all these injuries--crap happens. 

Best thing for us now is suspend the league for a month or three or scrap the season (this won't happen) 

Brentford could be a tough one but they are due the bad run too

11 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Possibly only two. You guessed it right with Bentley and Kalas. Hunt was my third but I'd be happy swapping him for Edwards occasionally and mariappa if he was fully match fit. 

That's it! Martin wouldn't start every game if we had a fit Fam and Weimann available. 

And to mention Wells, I think you are joking or you haven't watched any of his last 6 performances. I am suggesting he has less skill than anyone on our books since Bas Savage and his attitude stinks. Walked down the tunnel on Tues - total disgrace and should have his wages docked. Can't blame Holden for his signing. 

Not should blame be given to anyone for all these injuries--crap happens. 

Best thing for us now is suspend the league for a month or three or scrap the season (this won't happen) 

Brentford could be a tough one but they are due the bad run too

No very true

That was down to the great collector of non effective players , who spied a new shiny toy..... and begged Uncle Steve for ‘just another one’

Lee Johnson

I keep reading about our injuries and how we miss/need them/will be our salvation etc, are these the ones? Weimann "runs around alot" Pato "inconsistant, couldnt hit a barn door" ....Odowda "waste of space".... Brunt "statue"......Baker "always injured" just some comments I recall from recent posts/threads.

Not to mention those who havent even started a first team game yet because they are "injured".....are they, really?  Point being we havent a very good squad and a very in-exp manager, seems we also have a boss whose eyes and mind are on other things atm. The building of a prem chasing squad aint going to well imo..

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I keep reading about our injuries and how we miss/need them/will be our salvation etc, are these the ones? Weimann "runs around alot" Pato "inconsistant, couldnt hit a barn door" ....Odowda "waste of space".... Brunt "statue"......Baker "always injured" just some comments I recall from recent posts/threads.

Not to mention those who havent even started a first team game yet because they are "injured".....are they, really?  Point being we havent a very good squad and a very in-exp manager, seems we also have a boss whose eyes and mind are on other things atm. The building of a prem chasing squad aint going to well imo..

Both were pretty effective early this season- Weimann splits opinion on here but he is/has been quite effective, goal or assist every 3 games on average- good movement too, as well as ability to lead the press.

Paterson I'll agree can be inconsistent, hot and cold but I think both would improve us as of now.

Might also add Mawson- a left sided ball carrying centreback gives us a whole new dimension, enables a better chance to play Moore in his correct position as RCB in e.g. a back 3- stick him left or centre of that and he's less effective IMO. That said Vyner would be ahead of him at this time.

Think DaSilva has a higher ceiling at the least than Rowe- he's one who should probably produce more from an attacking sense but Rowe feels a safer option. Like Rowe but DaSilva over him I think.

Baker- always injured would be right! 22 games and counting out in the League this season- same as Walsh and Williams! Unless any of the 3 are fit by Saturday, they will have each spent half a season unavailable through injury.

The other positive of course about less injuries- well this encourages competition which in theory should drive up performance/hunger. Injuries removes that, or inhibits it.

Also in a season like this, I feel rotation is not a bad idea. Brentford do it to quite good effect, I think Martin could do with a bit of rotation fort a start- fit Paterson means no need to play Wells on the left- young players can be taken in and out of the firing line a bit, as form WILL swing at that age- and so on.

13 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

No very true

That was down to the great collector of non effective players , who spied a new shiny toy..... and begged Uncle Steve for ‘just another one’

Lee Johnson

Add to that injured players- non effective feels a bit harsh on balance, top 10, top half Championship side over the last few seasons- some okay Cup runs with one great one, some tilts, albeit unsuccessful at play off places.

Still, we effectively ruined two managers with reasonable to strong records in the early 2010's- Coppell and O'Driscoll- maybe much hasn't changed. Wells at QPR was a plateau but he's surely been below his expected level this season?

On 30/12/2020 at 21:56, swanker said:

Don’t worry about Brentford, what about Swansea with Korey Smith playing for them.  How we could do with him now. The mob running the club at the moment are clueless and will put us back a number of years. 

Swansea I think are overachieving, based on output- don't see them as strong top 2, more like top 6 contenders.

It's funny- Korey Smith missed most of 2018/19 here and got injured not long after his return. How do we know he would have been fit and effective this season here?

Says here he made 22 starts and 5 sub appearances in 2 seasons. Good chunk of that absence surely was down to injury, as I say a lot of 2018/19 definitely was!

As for Swansea, results can paper over cracks- as we know only too well from phases last season in particular!

On 30/12/2020 at 19:54, chinapig said:

Exactly!  If you have a coherent established pattern of tactics that is well drilled into the entire squad.........players can slot in and out without too much disruption.  Brentford and Bournemouth are on a completely different level to our poorly coached squad.

Archived