IGNORED

Karen Carney

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

A Leeds fan I know was ranting about this, not something I have great feelings on not being particularly fond of Leeds, but would a male pundit get the same defence if their opinion was slagged off?  (I’m sure they get the same critical comments, it’s the way of football)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55485336

Leeds also called out Agbonlahor and Merson.

So yes a male would get the same treatment.

However this male then wouldn’t have 1000 white knights leaping to their defence whilst condemning Leeds for the tweet.

If you post/speak a ridiculous opinion, then you deserve anything that comes your way regarding that opinion, but not personal abuse. 

The fans abusing her for being a woman or whatever are morons though. But that’s not the issue most seemed to take with it. 

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Leeds also called out Agbonlahor and Merson.

So yes a male would get the same treatment.

However this male then wouldn’t have 1000 white knights leaping to their defence whilst condemning Leeds for the tweet.

If you post/speak a ridiculous opinion, then you deserve anything that comes your way regarding that opinion, but not personal abuse. 

The fans abusing her for being a woman or whatever are morons though. But that’s not the issue most seemed to take with it. 

I think its more the fact Leeds chopped a 10 second clip or whatever it was taking it out of the whole conversation. 

Firstly there is the point that historically Bielsa's teams have blown up in the last stretch so while its a lazy argument it does carry some weight. It should be acknowledged that Leeds were on a great run just before the stop so that could have been the season where they didn't and maintained it for 46 so then becomes an opinion on did the break help Leeds in maintaining their style? 

I'm not saying it was right to say it, if she wanted to make an argument around it then it should have been in more depth to back her point however as said above Leeds have really not helped the situation by taking a short quote and sticking it on twitter which can be a massively poisonous platform and they should have known better as well rather than doing it for clicks/likes/retweets.

She was making a decent point, supported by what has happened before with Bielsa’s sides.  No doubt that Leeds are a good side and she recognised that and their work rate which is one of the highest.  They steamrollered us at the Gate last season, we never stood a chance, but there were a lot better sides than us and who knows they may have faded as they did in the previous year without that break. She’s not always right, but she’s got some good things to say and I reckon she’s a decent pundit as far as they go.  Leeds have called her out which they say they’ve done before with other pundits - I don’t know what the truth of that is but in the light of the nonsense that’s followed they could have just dOne the decent thing and taken that down.   The main issue and the reason for the defence is the extent and offensive nature of the ridiculousness that’s followed.  Male pundits rarely get subjected to that sort of bull so yes of course she should get that defence.  

Thing is whether we agree on the opinion of KC or not, the whole idea of people telling Leeds ‘delete this’ like it’s something terrible is wrong. 

If someone said something equally as frustrating about us and we got promoted, I’d hope we challenged them on it as well. 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I think its more the fact Leeds chopped a 10 second clip or whatever it was taking it out of the whole conversation. 

Firstly there is the point that historically Bielsa's teams have blown up in the last stretch so while its a lazy argument it does carry some weight. It should be acknowledged that Leeds were on a great run just before the stop so that could have been the season where they didn't and maintained it for 46 so then becomes an opinion on did the break help Leeds in maintaining their style? 

I'm not saying it was right to say it, if she wanted to make an argument around it then it should have been in more depth to back her point however as said above Leeds have really not helped the situation by taking a short quote and sticking it on twitter which can be a massively poisonous platform and they should have known better as well rather than doing it for clicks/likes/retweets.

The sad fact is that in this era of social media is that if you’re in the public eye, and say something that a particular group will take umbrage with, then it’s inevitable that abuse will follow. Years ago it would of been an angry letter through the post, now it takes people seconds to spit their bile.

Now into the point of this particular instance being worse due to it being a female pundit, and the official Leeds Twitter account calling her out, I will say that I firmly believe that they would of called out a male pundit just the same.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

She was talking crap and got a bit of stick. They've done it to Male pundits too. 

If they want to be treated the same then expect the same treatment. It came across like a dig after such a big win for Leeds

A bit of stick? Have you seen the vile abuse that's been given? 

Whether it was a dig or just poorly worded, no one deserves thst type of abuse for having an opinion, valid or not. 

12 minutes ago, 2015 said:

She was talking crap and got a bit of stick. They've done it to Male pundits too. 

If they want to be treated the same then expect the same treatment. It came across like a dig after such a big win for Leeds

That ‘same treatement’ is unacceptable whoever it is - threats etc. No doubt Twitter will continue to do nothing. 

1 hour ago, Akira said:

A bit of stick? Have you seen the vile abuse that's been given? 

Whether it was a dig or just poorly worded, no one deserves thst type of abuse for having an opinion, valid or not. 

Don't try taking the moral high ground, as I'm not defending that. I'm defending the right Leeds United FC have to call her out on a totally stupid comment, it wasn't sexist by them for doing that.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Don't try taking the moral high ground, as I'm not defending that. I'm defending the right Leeds United FC have to call her out on a totally stupid comment, it wasn't sexist by them for doing that.

No it was just irresponsible, leeds social media manager can’t be oblivious to what Twitter is like so whoever it was they were aiming at would be in for a lot of abuse 

57 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No it was just irresponsible, leeds social media manager can’t be oblivious to what Twitter is like so whoever it was they were aiming at would be in for a lot of abuse 

I think this is the point, really.

Now, to you and I there may well be absolutely no reason why they shouldn’t call out a female pundit any differently to a male pundit because their sex has absolutely no relevance to us. But, put simply, a frightening number of British people don’t actually think like that. That is not the world we live in and anyone that can’t understand that is nothing short of ingnorant.

As it is, she’s ended up receiving an absolute barrage of completely unacceptable sexist abuse and Leeds United would’ve been fully aware they were giving people/chauvinistic men a platform to do that.

Personally think she makes a fair point. They were probably the best team on their day the season before they went up, but they always ran out of legs. Fairly sure I might of even said at the time the break would help them, I also said it would help us to get Benik back mind! As for the aftermath, exactly the reason I’m not on any social network platform, unless this is a social platform? COYR 

• Admin
4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think this is the point, really.

Now, to you and I there may well be absolutely no reason why they shouldn’t call out a female pundit any differently to a male pundit because their sex has absolutely no relevance to us. But, put simply, a frightening number of British people don’t actually think like that. That is not the world we live in and anyone that can’t understand that is nothing short of ingnorant.

As it is, she’s ended up receiving an absolute barrage of completely unacceptable sexist abuse and Leeds United would’ve been fully aware they were giving people/chauvinistic men a platform to do that.

My only visits to Twitter are to view the occasional link I see posted, not sure how Leeds would be able to counter her opinion without there being some backlash against her viewpoint. Twitter seems like a poisonous cesspit to me and that isn’t the fault of, or responsibility of Leeds.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

My only visits to Twitter are to view the occasional link I see posted, not sure how Leeds would be able to counter her opinion without there being some backlash against her viewpoint. Twitter seems like a poisonous cesspit to me and that isn’t the fault of, or responsibility of Leeds.

I don’t necessarily disagree. For me, though, the sensible thing is just not to go there if what you’re going to post is that inflammatory. And it was absolutely inflammatory because it was always going to provoke that kind of reaction.

That in itself is pretty sad though, innit? Twitter isn’t a kind place.

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Exactly correct, Leeds have no control over who or what garbage is posted in their name whatsoever on Twitter, I don’t use it , can’t understand why people do as the majority of yellowing and vitriol aimed at people nowadays comes on Twitter.

on another tangent Leeds have a female commenter on their TV channel, Emma Jones,I bet she doesn’t get trolled or abused

She is a PAID pundit and her PROFESSIONAL job is to talk about football.

Many pundits have INFERRED the break helped us (Lazily), she said and I quote 

“Leeds would not have been promoted without the COVID break”

How ******* disrespectful is that not to mention baseless.

9 matches Pre COVID 6W 1D 2L

Post COVID 7W 1D 1L

All the other teams leading up to the break were struggling in comparison. 

Then she made reference to us blowing up.

1st season we ran more in the last 6 matches than any other, we had a 45 minute brain fart against Derby and threw it away in the playoff Semi.

Last season we coasted home.

This we blew up physically is an absolute myth pedalled by lazy pundits and fans just listen to them and believe it.

Probably the worst pundit I have ever seen on a game day, the club social media team have directly called out Merson AND Agbonlahor this season.

In this instance the club didn’t even tag Carney just Amazon Prime Sports.

Punditary is a mess and you get called out for talking ***** regardless if you are a man or woman. 

This utterly clueless bint will do more harm for women in the game than good, which is a shame because Sue Smith and Alex Scott imo are the very best of the rest behind Neville & Carragher.

Where was the furore when the club called out Merson and Agbonlahor?

There wasn’t any, they aren’t women that ***** feminist heroes can ride in on and preach their self righteous bull.

The personal abuse she is getting is 100% wrong, however this isn’t a result of the Leeds tweet, she was getting it before the club tweeted.

Are we in a society where we should not criticise people? 

Women want equality, with that comes taking the same criticism the majority of crap male pundits get.

7 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

This utterly clueless bint

The personal abuse she is getting is 100% wrong

Maybe the break did help - personally I think Leeds were best side and would have gone up either way but it’s hardly a crazy opinion to have given what happened the season before.

Your derogatory language above is exactly the kind of thing that should be avoided surely. 

22 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Maybe the break did help - personally I think Leeds were best side and would have gone up either way but it’s hardly a crazy opinion to have given what happened the season before.

Your derogatory language above is exactly the kind of thing that should be avoided surely. 

What happened the season before?

As I explained our stats were off the chart in the last 6 games better than the previous.

Therefore it is a “crazy” baseless opinion for anyone that would do just the minimal amount of research which I would expect from people paid to talk about it.

Derogatory language was used toward Merson and Agbonlahor, in fact “utterly clueless tw***”, you’re right I should have gone in harder.

Overall the quality of pundits has nosedived which is why they have to say stupid crap to make them relevant.

9 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

As I explained our stats were off the chart in the last 6 games better than the previous.

Therefore it is a “crazy” baseless opinion for anyone that would do just the minimal amount of research which I would expect from people paid to talk about it.

Derogatory language was used toward Merson and Agbonlahor, in fact “utterly clueless tw***”, you’re right I should have gone in harder.

Overall the quality of pundits has nosedived which is why they have to say stupid crap to make them relevant.

It says a lot about our society that people can’t respond to an opinion without reverting to derogatory language. You may well agree with what she said, and that’s your right to have an opinion (much like she is within her rights to express hers) but to call her a ‘bint’ is unnecessary and derogatory, is there really any point in doing so?

6 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Get over yourself. So some pundit wasn't licking your teams arse like everyone else, so what? 

The point is valid, albeit, in my opinion, wrong. I think Leeds would've gone up regardless this year, but the song "Leeds are falling apart, again" didn't spring up out of nowhere. Your club has a history of it, and because of your fans attitude, just like Villa, most of the country enjoyed watched your team fail. 

Now you're in the big time, you play great football, you did last season, you're sticking by the philosophy set out by Bielsa, fair play, but you're deluded if you think the covid break didn't help your team. 

She could of definitely worded it better, but the abuse she's getting is pathetic. Certainly no need to call her a 'bint' ffs. 

Archived