IGNORED

Karen Carney

Maesknoll Red

18 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

What happened the season before?

As I explained our stats were off the chart in the last 6 games better than the previous.

Therefore it is a “crazy” baseless opinion for anyone that would do just the minimal amount of research which I would expect from people paid to talk about it.

Derogatory language was used toward Merson and Agbonlahor, in fact “utterly clueless tw***”, you’re right I should have gone in harder.

Overall the quality of pundits has nosedived which is why they have to say stupid crap to make them relevant.

The season before you blew up in the biggest game of the season v Derby? Weren’t you top two a few matches before the end as well?

All derogatory language towards anyone is unacceptable. No one should be doing that at all. Your use of the word bint highlights how out of touch you are.

I really don't get the animosity towards her.Leeds got promoted and are doing fantastically well in the Prem.Why be so sensitive about someone else's opinion?If Leeds hadn't got promoted and people went on about "covid luck and blowing up",I would understand their fans annoyance.

Leeds got what they wanted.Their fans love the club,so they should be more than happy,but everyone else doesn't have to worship at the Elland Road altar.

14 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I really don't get the animosity towards her.Leeds got promoted and are doing fantastically well in the Prem.Why be so sensitive about someone else's opinion?If Leeds hadn't got promoted and people went on about "covid luck and blowing up",I would understand their fans annoyance.

Leeds got what they wanted.Their fans love the club,so they should be more than happy,but everyone else doesn't have to worship at the Elland Road altar.

It’s the lack of any type of knowledge.

Example.

Brentford 6 games 

Pre COVID 7 points (one win)

Post COVID 16 points

The frustration comes from constant lazy punditary pedalling complete untruths.

The club / team should rightly be criticised when it / they don’t do things correctly etc, she gave an opinion so out of touch with reality and got called up on it.

The fact she is a woman is the only reason people are talking about it.

1 minute ago, SPAZZA said:

It’s the lack of any type of knowledge.

Example.

Brentford 6 games 

Pre COVID 7 points (one win)

Post COVID 16 points

The frustration comes from constant lazy punditary pedalling complete untruths.

The club / team should rightly be criticised when it / they don’t do things correctly etc, she gave an opinion so out of touch with reality and got called up on it.

The fact she is a woman is the only reason people are talking about it.

I am not doubting that you you have a genuine grevience,I am just saying that I don't understand it why other people's opinions bother you so much.When we did our league and cup double a few years back,I got loads of stick from people I know that "support" Liverpool.Man U, Chelsea etc.

Fair enough it was only league one and the Johnson's Paint Trophy but I absolutely loved that season.I found it completely hilarious that fans of the big clubs had to go out of their way to tell me how small time it was.That just made it even funnier to me.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Maybe the break did help - personally I think Leeds were best side and would have gone up either way but it’s hardly a crazy opinion to have given what happened the season before.

If she said that the break would’ve helped I don’t think it would’ve ever been called out. She categorically stated however that thinks they were promoted because of Covid, that is a pretty crazy opinion.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

If she said that the break would’ve helped I don’t think it would’ve ever been called out. She categorically stated however that thinks they were promoted because of Covid, that is a pretty crazy opinion.

Of course she probably shouldn't have presented that as a fact,but really where is the harm in it?Maybe ill advised,maybe a bit stupid,maybe completely false,but how are people so thin skinned to be getting so worked up about it?

5 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It’s exactly this, MANY pundits have lazily said “it may have helped” even though the statistics bear absolutely no reason to think this.

She went and said THAT.

The club have called out pundits for FAR LESS outrageous remarks.

5 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Of course she probably shouldn't have presented that as a fact,but really where is the harm in it?Maybe ill advised,maybe a bit stupid,maybe completely false,but how are people so thin skinned to be getting so worked up about it?

Maybe because we expect a standard on punditary, maybe we are wrong to expect it.

Maybe fans are completely fed up with just click bait type comments that they just long for people to do a decent balanced job.

Its also a fan base that has been out of the PL for so long that fans of other clubs have changed beyond recognition, I dare someone to listen to Arsenal TV to demonstrate the absolute shambles of “fans” that now follow teams, we as a club are known for not taking a backward step, nor should we.

I think personally as I have said before on here one reason Bristol City haven’t progressed is because the fans are accepting of mediocrity and don’t “expect / demand” more from what basically is a one city club. (I don’t count Rovers).

Just now, Slacker said:

Fans get worked up by pundits opinions all the time when criticism is aimed at their club, that’s just the nature of football fans. As a pundit you know that’s what you’re getting yourself into. Just look at this forum/social media every single time Keith Andrews is a pundit on one of our games. I also see Tim Sherwood having the piss taken out of him across the board from fans of all clubs nearly every week on twitter.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Leeds calling her out for a poor opinion (which also came across as a bit of a dig at them) as they would’ve done with any other pundit who said the same. Personal abuse directed at her for just for being female isn’t right, obviously, but there’s no way that should make her immune from any criticism to begin with.

Spazza, 

we as a fan base don’t accept mediocrity as the norm, we want more from what as you say at present is basically a one club city, the problem is we have a billionaire owner who accepts mediocrity and constantly seems to strive to achieve mediocrity. There in lies our problem. Stagnating in championship year after year 

34 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It is indeed, considering they should have been promoted in 18/19 and were knocking on the door for a while. It was lazy and she got called out for it. Then those who are morally so superior come out as her saviour

12 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Spazza, 

we as a fan base don’t accept mediocrity as the norm, we want more from what as you say at present is basically a one club city, the problem is we have a billionaire owner who accepts mediocrity and constantly seems to strive to achieve mediocrity. There in lies our problem. Stagnating in championship year after year 

Having been to every Bristol City game against Leeds in the past 10 years I don’t see the same anger when things go wrong, I have always sensed a notion of we get what we are given.

I completely get it starts with the owner, but it’s almost as though your players at times aren’t held accountable enough by the fans.

As much as we ride hard on players not performing they’ll know if needed we’ll drag them through (thinking of the 2-2 game against you when we were 0-2 down to you).

I just don’t get the same highs / lows feeling from your fans overall, more of a middling “meh” (not meant offensively I have a soft spot for you being local and all my mates supporting you!)

29 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Maybe because we expect a standard on punditary, maybe we are wrong to expect it.

Maybe fans are completely fed up with just click bait type comments that they just long for people to do a decent balanced job.

Its also a fan base that has been out of the PL for so long that fans of other clubs have changed beyond recognition, I dare someone to listen to Arsenal TV to demonstrate the absolute shambles of “fans” that now follow teams, we as a club are known for not taking a backward step, nor should we.

I think personally as I have said before on here one reason Bristol City haven’t progressed is because the fans are accepting of mediocrity and don’t “expect / demand” more from what basically is a one city club. (I don’t count Rovers).

But when you know that pundits have to say something to fill time,and that most aren't great at it,they say  something controversial to generate opinion and give the other pundits something to bounce off.Why let that upset you?It is pretty irrelevant what one person's opinion is.

I understand your point that they have a larger platform to spout from than most,but this is the social media world we live in.I don't like it,have never used Twitter or Facebook and couldn't give a rats arse what other fans and pundits think of Bristol City. 

With the greatest of respect, look at what is going on in the world and get some perspective. Hope you have a great New Year and enjoy your teams achievements regardless of what others think.

2 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Having been to every Bristol City game against Leeds in the past 10 years I don’t see the same anger when things go wrong, I have always sensed a notion of we get what we are given.

I completely get it starts with the owner, but it’s almost as though your players at times aren’t held accountable enough by the fans.

As much as we ride hard on players not performing they’ll know if needed we’ll drag them through (thinking of the 2-2 game against you when we were 0-2 down to you).

I just don’t get the same highs / lows feeling from your fans overall, more of a middling “meh” (not meant offensively I have a soft spot for you being local and all my mates supporting you!)

I think to be honest as a fanbase we are pretty cautious. We have a well documented time in 1982 where we nearly went out of existence. We have an owner that has been massively supportive to us and made us financially stable.There are however many questions about some of his strategies, particularly concerning managerial employment. Most of us I think are torn between having an owner that has continually backed us and invested strongly and having a more maverick owner. There is no shortage of examples of the latter going badly wrong very quickly. 

The great irony is that a lot of the reactions to her prove exactly why, as clumsy as it was, she made the remark in the first place.

It sounded to me like she was trying too hard - the basic ingredients of her remark evidence some level of knowledge of Leeds prior seasons, which she was keen to highlight in an industry where generally knowledge of anything outside the Premier League is non-existent; a lot of other analysts would have had nothing meaningful to say. To show off her insight she gave a stupid take.

In the US they call it a "reach": metaphorically over extending, normally deliberately. It's a useful analogy in this context, because I'd ask the question why she needed to be reaching. Most pundits get away with zero knowledge and generic contributions about promoted sides. She actually had some useful history but articulated it in an awful point - what is unique to her that she reached?

I think we all know.

And that should be the lesson. Perhaps if a metaphorical "sword of Damocles" wasn't permanently anchored above every female analysts head for fear of appearing unqualified, this wouldn't have happened. If being yet another gob on a stick with absolutely no knowledge of anything outside the top 4 was sufficient for women, I'm sure she could've obliged. But we all know it never is.

3 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Maybe but the main point of whole thing is that whatever her opinion, even it is way off, is the abuse she is getting. Or that anyone is getting on there really.

The real reason Leeds f***** it up was none of the players could understand a word Bielsa was saying, so they just made it up as they went along.. 

So to combat this they stopped employing people to hide in bushes and used the money to hire interpreters.. 

Happy days.. 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Her point was that the break for Covid worked in Leeds' favour

On the basis that they clearly ran out of steam over the previous seasons I would say that she is pretty spot on

Thats where you are completely incorrect and that wasn’t the point she made.

16 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

Thats where you are completely incorrect and that wasn’t the point she made.

What would or wouldn’t have happened without covid is speculation. You can agree or disagree, but it’s not ‘incorrect’ is it. You’ve no way of knowing. 

And I thought that was exactly the point she was making (tho I’d agree she has no more right to claim it as a fact than you have the opposite)

It was certainly a view others suggested at the time.

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

We’re football fans - it’s what happens,  always has and always will, you would think a pundit with half a brain would know this.

I’ve seen people get called all sorts for calling us ‘Bristol’ for example, it doesn’t take much to wind fans up. 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

We’re football fans - it’s what happens,  always has and always will, you would think a pundit with half a brain would know this.

I’ve seen people get called all sorts for calling us ‘Bristol’ for example, it doesn’t take much to wind fans up. 

I get that Rob,but what I don't understand is why people get so wound up about it.Some pundits don't come across as particularly bright,others like to be controversial and crave the attention that saying outrageous things will bring to them.Look at Adrian Durham on TalkSport.Gets just about everybody's back up by talking out of his arse,gets well paid for it,probably doesn't believe half of what he says anyway,and has carved a successful career out of it.

Look, she's a woman and we have to accept that irrespective of her crass opinion & lazy punditry, to call her out is 'sexist' & cannot be allowed because the baying mobs of virtual signallers will descend upon us all.

Let us all forget that covid-19 is a despicable virus that has claimed thousands of lives in this country. People's friends & loved ones to boot. Indeed, LUFC lost a club legend, Norman Hunter, to this vile disease but hey, crass & inconsiderate comments that LUFC 'benefited' from the pandemic are OK when uttered by a woman.

Is that what we are saying?

How would Norman's family & friends feel when hearing or reading Karen Carney's comments?

Lack of sensitivity, ignorance or plain arrogance?

Has she reflected & apologised for the inconsiderate & offensive nature of her lazy remarks?

As far as I am aware she hasn't but hey, LUFC are the bad guys in all of this bcuz they called her out.

In hindsight, probably ill-advised because this is a vile world we now live in just like the pond life on social media who have to resort to personal abuse & the PC brigade who want to dictate & condemn anything that doesn't tickle their fancy.

If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

3 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

If you put something out there, expect a response, regardless of who you are. Leeds have a right to reply.

Leeds can't be held responsible for silly people on the internet, but they've condemned it and rightly so. 

That isn't the issue. What you shouldn't expect is vile abuse - it isn't acceptable just because its online.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

That isn't the issue. What you shouldn't expect is vile abuse - it isn't acceptable just because its online.

There are a couple of issues here.

Of course, I don't think anyone in their right mind would say vile abuse is okay. People were suggesting Leeds shouldn't respond because it encourages idiots. They have a right to reply and aren't responsible for the idiots that followed.

Archived