IGNORED

Jimmy Greaves MBE

Abraham Romanovich

Was there for the FA cup match at White Hart Lane. When as Abraham Romanovich said he did nothing all match. But score two goals and put the though to the next round. Thank goodness we did not have social medial in those days. As i am sure the fans would have been saying get him off the lazy so and so. A wonderful goal scorer up their with the very best, Oh i wish we had Jimmy still as a football pundit. So pleased for him getting this award should have happened years ago.

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

How`s his health these days? I must admit a feeling of trepidation opening the thread having not seen the honours list at that point.

Think he is in a really poor way, been confined to a wheelchair for some while.

Before my time but he was some player, his goal scoring record at Chelsea & Spurs (where he is idolised) is right up there with anyone, but what stands out for me are the 12 games he played for Milan in ‘61, this was at the height of ultra defensive Italian football, he scored 9 times..

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Was there for the FA cup match at White Hart Lane. When as Abraham Romanovich said he did nothing all match. But score two goals and put the though to the next round. Thank goodness we did not have social medial in those days. As i am sure the fans would have been saying get him off the lazy so and so. A wonderful goal scorer up their with the very best, Oh i wish we had Jimmy still as a football pundit. So pleased for him getting this award should have happened years ago.

I was also there , living in Enfield direct train link cost 1 and 6, (7.5 p),  2shillings  to get in  (10p) and the price of a programme threepence (1.5 p)  not bad for under 20p bearing in mind my weekly paperound earnt the considerable sum of 75p - just shows how the cost of attending football has considerably outstripped inflation .

Just found this on the internet not a bad team put out by Tottenham, 11 internationals  and a crowd of over 54000.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/tottenham-hotspur-v-bristol-city-11-march-1967-212539/

29 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I was also there , living in Enfield direct train link cost 1 and 6, (7.5 p),  2shillings  to get in  (10p) and the price of a programme threepence (1.5 p)  not bad for under 20p bearing in mind my weekly paperound earnt the considerable sum of 75p - just shows how the cost of attending football has considerably outstripped inflation .

Just found this on the internet not a bad team put out by Tottenham, 11 internationals  and a crowd of over 54000.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/tottenham-hotspur-v-bristol-city-11-march-1967-212539/

A friend and myself set of on the Friday up the A4 on our scoters. Cant remember if any of the M4 was open. It was a very cold night and we had arranged to meet a couple of girls we meet on holiday. That did not work out so spent the night in a telephone box  trying to keep warm and get some sleep in Bray near Maidenhead. Next morning after some breakfast back on the A4. |Spent some time behind a coal lorry. When we arrived in Tottenham  and took our helmets off we looked like someone from the black and white minstrel show. But it was all worth, if only Mckay had been sent off and those two missed penalty kicks. It would have been even better. Great days stood on the terraces. 

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Apparently his family are very unhappy it's not a knighthood, Beckham is also furious that he has been overlooked again, personally I've got more respect for the many that have refused these out-dated honors so stand up Nigella Lawson and people say she's just a big pair of tits!!! 

To be fair they are a crackin pair!! ?

51 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

And pays more UK tax than Lewis Hamilton too. 

Well as Hamilton doesn't live in the UK and only pays tax when he races at Silverstone?

Also is Greaves' tax the bar for who is allowed to have an honour? If you pay less than Greaves, you don't deserve one? I presume you're unhappy all the public and health workers who have received honours are getting them because Greaves "pays more UK tax".

25 minutes ago, grifty said:

Well as Hamilton doesn't live in the UK and only pays tax when he races at Silverstone?

Also is Greaves' tax the bar for who is allowed to have an honour? If you pay less than Greaves, you don't deserve one? I presume you're unhappy all the public and health workers who have received honours are getting them because Greaves "pays more UK tax".

The predictable response. 

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

And pays more UK tax than Lewis Hamilton too. 

Doubt it, Hamilton is in the top 5000 tax payers in the UK despite his place of residence. And that's according to those famous lefties the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-8954095/Lewis-Hamilton-tax-status-vetted-decision-award-knighthood.html

Jimmy Greaves should get a knighthood though, it doesn't have to be either/or.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Jimmy Greaves was my boyhood hero. Natural goalscorer of the highest order. Desperately unfortunate to miss out on the World Cup final thru injury and his replacement Geoff Hurst...........:cool2:

Mine too. England winning the World Cup without playing him felt really odd.

17 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Doubt it, Hamilton is in the top 5000 tax payers in the UK despite his place of residence. And that's according to those famous lefties the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-8954095/Lewis-Hamilton-tax-status-vetted-decision-award-knighthood.html

Jimmy Greaves should get a knighthood though, it doesn't have to be either/or.

Love my sport but i dont think anybody should be knighted for playing a sport

think about it

Run fast = Knighthood!!!!

ride a bike  - Row a boat- kick a football - drive a car 

None of them deserve be knighted for

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Mine too. England winning the World Cup without playing him felt really odd.

manager got it right though

13 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Love my sport but i dont think anybody should be knighted for playing a sport

think about it

Run fast = Knighthood!!!!

ride a bike  - Row a boat- kick a football - drive a car 

None of them deserve be knighted for

What should people be knighted for?

I'd scrap the whole thing, but if we are having honours then sports people are as deserving as bankers, politicians, civil servants etc.

Just spent 15 mins on the phone with my old Dad chatting about him. 

He's always been a huge admirer of him so was delighted to hear the news. 

Discussing his cool and composed finishing style, he suggested a few sessions with our own Antoine! He's sure we've got a player on our hands if he can find some composure in front of goal. Couldn't argue with him really.

If you fancy a laugh,go on BBC news website and read what same people are getting "honours" for.Make up,hairstyling,cuisine.To be honest I think the way most awards have been given makes them devoid of any real value. Obviously there are notable exceptions.

Archived