Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Dead of 2021 / OTIB Death Pool 2021

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

Brain tumour did for him unfortunately 

Didn't he have one some years back also. Seem to recall he took sick on the sidelines during a game. Could be wrong though.

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Didn't he have one some years back also. Seem to recall he took sick on the sidelines during a game. Could be wrong though.

Yeah he did. He was away from football for a while as I recall. I can’t remember the details but his poor health was definitely mentioned.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Ian St. John - sleep well Saint

My God it isn't stopping at the moment, really sad to hear The Saint now gone. RIP Ian. One of the best ever.

I was informed by my grandfather this morning but thought best not to mention it on here until his family made it public but David has tweeted it. Vernon Lee passed away. A close family friend of ours. Lived around the corner from my house. Some of you may have known him very well. 

https://twitter.com/davejlee69/status/1366762773569540102?s=19

Bunny Wailer, reggae legend, has died aged 73. He'd suffered a stroke a few months ago. 

The last of the Wailers, and following Toots' death last year it feels a bit like the end of an era I think......... RIP 

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Trevor Peacock, (Vicar of Dibley) has passed.

Only one thing to say .............."n,n, no, no,no    NO " !

Sad News. He was the funniest on the VOD.

• Like 2
On 09/03/2021 at 15:26, Super said:

On 09/03/2021 at 15:26, Super said:

His wife was great as well, y, y , yes, yes YES

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

RIP Murray Walker, legendary commentator, his enthusiasm started my interest in F1 when he was paired up with James Hunt.

@TomF he was in my Deadpool so please replace him with US President Joe Biden

Yep will update everything when in front of the pc, too fiddly to do on phone 

• Like 1

Murray Walker was one of the ( dying?) breed of commentators whose voice was synonymous with their sport.

Peter Alliss, Ted Lowe, Eddie Waring, Bill McClaren, Dan Maskell, Richie Benaud, David Coleman are just a few.

Just read this on the BBC website:

In describing Walker's commentary style, the late broadcaster and writer Clive James hit the nail on the head: "In his quieter moments, he sounds like his trousers are on fire." 

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 4

Murray was one of the very few sports commentators who were as famous, if not more so, than the sport itself. Had he not been there to enthuse about motorsport then it's difficult to imagine its popularity reaching the heights it has.

He was a tank commander in the Royal Scots Greys, went to work for Dunlop after the war and later worked for advertising agencies. He was responsible for some catchy slogans of old (such as Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water.) But commentating was his pleasure and he quickly became a fixture with many broadcasters, ultimately being The Voice of Formula 1. He'll be greatly missed in the paddocks, not only for his unique style on the mic but also for being a damn fine person.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Another British institution slips away and my childhood seems even further in the past.

RIP Mr Walker

Yes, not only F1, but "scrambling" and motor hill climbing all on Grandstand! Legend RIP

( used to love him saying "There goes Renee Arnoooo !)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Worth watching (yet again) in memory of a great fighter.

I used to love watching the Hitman fight, the fact that Hagler was able to deal with him in those three rounds is his greatest achievement in my eyes.

• Like 2