IGNORED

Going back when allowed

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Some discussion on the radio earlier that the mood of some fans is such that they may not go back (not City in particular, just football wide) maybe just got out of the habit of going, realising how much it costs, lost interest - whatever, there are obviously those champing at the bit to get back, but there was some concern at the levels of those indicating they are not so desperate to return to their seats.

Just wondering what the consensus is.

I’ll be going back, but not until I can sit in my own seat, next to my mates, not have to wear a face mask, not have to get into the ground at a set time, decided by the club, that could be 90 minutes before kick off, be able to have a drink in the concourse / local pubs. 

So pretty much when things return to normal. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I’ll be going back, but not until I can sit in my own seat, next to my mates, not have to wear a face mask, not have to get into the ground at a set time, decided by the club, that could be 90 minutes before kick off, be able to have a drink in the concourse / local pubs. 

This completely mate.

My concern is that some of the measures that have been put in place by clubs and enforced by stewards (for good reasons) will remain post COVID, just to wring a bit more fun out of going to the football. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

That would pretty much mirror my opinion, however I can't see it happening for some time yet. Next season if we're lucky I think.

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Some discussion on the radio earlier that the mood of some fans is such that they may not go back (not City in particular, just football wide) maybe just got out of the habit of going, realising how much it costs, lost interest - whatever, there are obviously those champing at the bit to get back, but there was some concern at the levels of those indicating they are not so desperate to return to their seats.

Just wondering what the consensus is.

For the current fayre on offer???...

Naah.

I managed to get a place on a behind-the-scenes tour of Ashton Gate just before the second lockdown and the City employee (sorry, can't remember his name) who showed us around admitted that one of the club's biggest fears would be that fans would begin to 'disengage', and that consequently youngsters wouldn't be introduced to City at an early age.  

It’ll certainly be interesting what strategy the club take on next years season card sales. I doubt very much if any of us will have returned by the time they normally go on sale.

Presumably they’ll delay as we can’t be sure we’ll be allowed full capacity by next August, but with our club, you never know

Meh - not sure. Been going since early 80s so have seen the real bad times along with some good.

I used to go with friends and then my daughter for 20 years now who also loves and follows the ? as well as City and has S/T for both.

My wife and son really favour ? over football in general, and whilst they respect it is my biggest passion have no interest in sharing it regularly.

I have enjoyed watching rugby games so we are leaning, as a family towards all 4 of us getting S/Ts for ? next season.

Ideally if funds allow daughter and myself will do both but the bigger family picture comes first so if funds don’t allow it will be the City S/T that is not renewed.

I'll go back when it gets to normal, been watching the team for 50 years now but don't enjoy it as much as in the 70's and 80's. Teams now are over-coached and over-analysed, most teams in those days were what you'd call today "tactically naive", they'd rely on one or two "characters" in their team to make a difference and carry them forward, there were more hard players (wouldn't be allowed now), and more flair players (would be called selfish today), eg QPR would always rely on Rodney Marsh and he was fantastic to watch, we'd have Gerry Gow (and later Norman Hunter as well), it was generally more about star players than tactics and as a result more entertaining to watch, defences weren't so organised so there would be more goalmouth action and despite the stadium comforts we have today by standing on the terracing you made more friends than you can when sat down and there were more spectators which generated a lot more noise.

There are still some good games today but a lot of boring ones, many of the players are in it for the money now rather than the love of the game and don't put the same amount of effort in as a Gerry Gow or Joe Jordan did for instance but having said that I still enjoy the matchday experience, just not as much as I used to.

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Unfortunately we are one of the clubs most at risk of losing fans. Adding 10k or almost 50% to our average attendance in only 5 years. Not to say these are 'new' fans but surely the matchday tradition is not so ingrained compared to other clubs.

Add to that the value for money on offer from a Bears season ticket (top flight, European games etc) and I would guess we will lose a few due to them switching codes.

I'll be going back as soon as I can. I just need to have somewhere to go instead of Poundland or Tescos. I'm bored shitless of watching on a screen, it's blurry, the camerawork isn't great, I want to see what I want to see, not what the producers think I should see…I want to hear people shouting (even through a mask). Can't wait!

22 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I like a lot of city fans been going for years but I have not missed going to the gate at all I have had a season ticket for over 20 years , I have been watching Amateur football in Stockwood and Hengrove and have thoroughly enjoyed it so not sure I will go back to the gate , it’s a very weird feeling 

Exactly this.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I managed to get a place on a behind-the-scenes tour of Ashton Gate just before the second lockdown and the City employee (sorry, can't remember his name) who showed us around admitted that one of the club's biggest fears would be that fans would begin to 'disengage', and that consequently youngsters wouldn't be introduced to City at an early age.  

Interesting that you say this DP as in my opinion the clubs efforts to engage with supporters over the last few years has been utterly abysmal.

4 minutes ago, markcarter said:

I hate to break it to you if you weren’t aware but it is almost certain that there will never be ‘post COVID’.

Sad, but true.
The next stage is management and keeping on top of mutations in the virus.
Vaccine will take many, many months to get round to everyone. 

Can't help but think a number of fans who go occasionally or felt like they were starting to drift from the club won't be back. It's long enough that people will have lost interest in keeping up with it, or find other ways to spend their time. 

I personally would go as soon as we can get back in. Won't be the same having to wear a mask with a stadium half empty etc but even with restrictions in place it's much better than watching on Robins TV. Can't imagine we won't have any restrictions for a long while anyway sadly.

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well the club didn't take our feelings into account with their managerial appointment in the summer did they, believing we would just follow like sheep. Now they fear that Covid could drive thousands away, they worry about losing us. Juat shows the arrogance of the board.

I will be going back, but only when we are back to some sort of normality. But in all honesty, it will be driven more by my son than me at the moment, as I cannot really say I’ve missed it. Hopefully once we are all back inside the Gate my opinion will change, but who knows. COYR 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

100% this, the actual game is only a part of the day out for me and the restrictions that would be in place even under Tier 2 restrictions (regardless of 2000 max capacity) would put me off.

Archived