IGNORED

Going back when allowed

Maesknoll Red

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll be going back, but not until I can sit in my own seat, next to my mates, not have to wear a face mask, not have to get into the ground at a set time, decided by the club, that could be 90 minutes before kick off, be able to have a drink in the concourse / local pubs. 

So pretty much when things return to normal. 

This

6 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I'll go back when it gets to normal, been watching the team for 50 years now but don't enjoy it as much as in the 70's and 80's. Teams now are over-coached and over-analysed, most teams in those days were what you'd call today "tactically naive", they'd rely on one or two "characters" in their team to make a difference and carry them forward, there were more hard players (wouldn't be allowed now), and more flair players (would be called selfish today), eg QPR would always rely on Rodney Marsh and he was fantastic to watch, we'd have Gerry Gow (and later Norman Hunter as well), it was generally more about star players than tactics and as a result more entertaining to watch, defences weren't so organised so there would be more goalmouth action and despite the stadium comforts we have today by standing on the terracing you made more friends than you can when sat down and there were more spectators which generated a lot more noise.

There are still some good games today but a lot of boring ones, many of the players are in it for the money now rather than the love of the game and don't put the same amount of effort in as a Gerry Gow or Joe Jordan did for instance but having said that I still enjoy the matchday experience, just not as much as I used to.

Good post. Sums up just how I feel.

End of an era when the Eastend got chopped, followed my team all over the country and hardly missed a game in the late 60`s early 70`s home or away...now.. its part of something else, dont like it, doubt if I`ll ever see another live game, in person again.....oh well memories it is then.

20 years with a season ticket and I’ll be honest I will be picking and choosing games going forward. I’ve not missed it as much as I assumed I would. The match day experience has been stripped back to just the football now and it’s opened my eyes a bit. It’s not entertaining or exciting. None of the players on the team entertain me like a Murray, a Goater, or even a Tomlin it’s just turgid football.

To add to that unfortunately I feel disengaged with the club, I don’t feel valued and after 20 years, whatever your opinion is, that’s important to me 

I will definitely be back when it’s somewhere near to normal but how much of that is because it is just something I’ve been doing on a Saturday/Tuesday since 1959, I do not know.  It worries me how easier I find it to turn on the laptop 5 minutes before kick off and watch in comfort instead of the rushing about, traffic, finding parking etc, I really shouldn’t be feeling that way.

The on field end product is a factor, other replies have correctly mentioned different eras and players and the excitement, all very true.  Leaving aside the current injury crisis, we seem to be striving to deliver beyond our level, stringing 15 completed passes together and “walking” the ball into the goal would be great but realistically ?

I used to hate Leeds but it’s worrying me that I’m starting to like their approach, good at what they do, all action, fast pace etc; perhaps that says it all.

21 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll be going back, but not until I can sit in my own seat, next to my mates, not have to wear a face mask, not have to get into the ground at a set time, decided by the club, that could be 90 minutes before kick off, be able to have a drink in the concourse / local pubs. 

So pretty much when things return to normal. 

Well that's the rest of this season gone then, 

I didn’t renew my season ticket in the South Stand this season due to financial uncertainties at the time. 

I probably would only return if I had a season ticket. The matchday pricing isn't great value in comparison and I would be hesitant paying that on a regular basis. I can imagine that match day prices will also increase next season to make up for lost income.

I’d be happy to attend even with controls in place. Although I think getting to the ground via public transport would be difficult on a regular basis if timetables have been cut back and social distancing is still in operation.

I honestly don`t know what I`ll do to be honest. As others have said, I haven`t missed the `experience` of driving for hours through the hell of the M5, driving around looking for somewhere to park, not getting home till 1am after a midweek stuffing and lots of other things that aren`t down to the match itself.

I will probably get a season ticket again though - I`ll have paid for it anyway as I`ve been putting the refunds to one side - and if I go to any more than about twelve games it`s a saving on POTD.

I seem to be a bit different to a lot of you guys though in that it`s the actual match I`m missing not the day itself -  I don`t go to the pub or anything before or after due to driving - perhaps I`d feel different if I did. What I am finding hard to reconcile these days is spending ten hours of my weekend (twelve when it`s holiday season) to watch ninety minutes of football which I`d never had a problem with before.

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I honestly don`t know what I`ll do to be honest. As others have said, I haven`t missed the `experience` of driving for hours through the hell of the M5, driving around looking for somewhere to park, not getting home till 1am after a midweek stuffing and lots of other things that aren`t down to the match itself.

I will probably get a season ticket again though - I`ll have paid for it anyway as I`ve been putting the refunds to one side - and if I go to any more than about twelve games it`s a saving on POTD.

I seem to be a bit different to a lot of you guys though in that it`s the actual match I`m missing not the day itself -  I don`t go to the pub or anything before or after due to driving - perhaps I`d feel different if I did. What I am finding hard to reconcile these days is spending ten hours of my weekend (twelve when it`s holiday season) to watch ninety minutes of football which I`d never had a problem with before.

I miss two things:

- a bit of father and son bonding

- seeing the whole pitch

I definitely want to go back when it’s safe.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I miss two things:

- a bit of father and son bonding

- seeing the whole pitch

I definitely want to go back when it’s safe.

I think I`ve asked you this before Dave but you & Joe would be in probably the safest place in the ground in your disabled area wouldn`t you? I suppose you still have to get to and from it though.

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Bloody hell were do you live ? 

I think it's a good point made on the radio, I do think a lot of people have got out of the habit of going to football, I don't think it's just with the current rules that hopefully will be all gone next season, 

I really do believe people will go less often, mist people live away from the ground , for me going to the gate means leaving home at 1030 in the morning and not getting home till 1930 at night for a 1500 Saturday game, I am sure some with journey like that will think can't be bothered for some matches and will just watch on line, 

Also for many people it's the social element of going with your mates if everyone don't want to go at the same time then some will decide not to go, 

I really do think next season even if everything is back to normal every club will see less people going , 

2 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I think it's a good point made on the radio, I do think a lot of people have got out of the habit of going to football, I don't think it's just with the current rules that hopefully will be all gone next season, 

I really do believe people will go less often, mist people live away from the ground , for me going to the gate means leaving home at 1030 in the morning and not getting home till 1930 at night for a 1500 Saturday game, I am sure some with journey like that will think can't be bothered for some matches and will just watch on line, 

Also for many people it's the social element of going with your mates if everyone don't want to go at the same time then some will decide not to go, 

I really do think next season even if everything is back to normal every club will see less people going , 

This is my dilemma - can I still justify the massive amount of my `down time` spent travelling to watch ninety minutes of football live?

I must confess thinking several times after watching a game online (and not only when we`ve lost!) how pleased I am I haven`t got a two and a half hour drive home.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

This is my dilemma - can I still justify the massive amount of my `down time` spent travelling to watch ninety minutes of football live?

I must confess thinking several times after watching a game online (and not only when we`ve lost!) how pleased I am I haven`t got a two and a half hour drive home.

Totally get where you are coming from, I am not as far away as you being west Somerset but it's still a long day when we play poorly and lose, I am very sure there are a lot of other city fans thinking the same as you as would say at least half the people who watch city regular come form outside of Bristol, 

I’ll return to AG when things are more normal - hopefully next season. However if we are allowed back in before then I’d go along despite the shite being served up - after all I’ve witnessed plenty of crap over many years so kinda expect it.

Its  boring I know but the most thrilling and enjoyable football in the last 30 years was when Danny Wilson was in charge. How I’d love to see that kind of attacking football back at the Gate.

I won’t be holding my breath tho..........

Just now, winsaw said:

Totally get where you are coming from, I am not as far away as you being west Somerset but it's still a long day when we play poorly and lose, I am very sure there are a lot of other city fans thinking the same as you as would say at least half the people who watch city regular come form outside of Bristol, 

Not quite as far but it takes you just as long I suspect. I`m pretty much A30/M5 all the way, you not so much!

Some interesting replies on this thread and seemingly the majority aren’t bothered about returning until it’s back to some kind of ‘normality’. 

I guess we have about 12,000 current ST holders. Would it be reasonable to assume that about half of those are in the ‘Bristol’ area. Bearing in mind we couldn’t sell 1,000 tickets for the Boxing Day game, from a ST holder base of 6,000, it seems it’s quite a large majority who aren’t overly bothered about returning at present. 

All clubs are gonna be in for very peculiar and interesting times when the go ahead is given again to return - I’d be certain it’s not just Bristolians who feel this way. 

With the poorly handled PR in respect of DH's appointment and the low standard of product on offer, I think the club might well need to pull it's finger out , engage more with the supporters  and offer some incentives and discounts if they have any kind of grasp of the need to encourage fans back to the Gate.  If they do not wake up to the fact that quite a few fans have lost interest, and have have found other distractions, then they might be in for a shock at the attendances when fans are allowed back?   

In the past `City supporters have been taken somewhat for granted, so if the club finds it   needs to make more of an effort to re - engage and re-attract supporters, it might just make them realise that without it's fans, then there is no club?...........   here's hoping?              

I had already decided prior to Covid that I would not be renewing my season card. Numerous reasons really, mostly the poor quality of entertainment severed up, bored rigid would sum it up. Parking nightmares around AG, traffic in general getting there and the pi55 poor atmosphere associated with the crap served up. Not missed it in the slightest, simply revisited old hobbies and interests as a substitute. Let’s hope for those returning when normality finally prevails that the powers that be and players recognise the importance of fans in the ground. Let’s face it footie without fans is just 22 blokes kicking a ball around. Footballs dead without bums on seats.

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

It is 99% likely that this virus, and it’s 12 or 20 variants (typical numbers for these kind of things) will be with us forever.  A vaccine doesn’t eradicate it, so there’s every likelihood it will pop up from time to time with flare ups that will need to be quickly spotted and dealt with very effectively to avoid a future pandemic.  For that reason it’s incorrect to use the term ‘post-COVID’ and it’s highly likely continued measures to prevent spread of infections will be in place for some considerable time.

It will become endemic like influenza, but beyond that no one can be sure what the future holds.

As for returning to games, I have the advantage of being able to walk I the ground and actually booked a ticket in the Atyeo end of the Dolman for the game against Wycombe as I had nothing else planned for Boxing Day. As I don’t enjoy watching live games on TV, I would rather go in person even if there are restrictions etc.

That said, for me, the true match experience won’t return until I am back in my own spot and able to meet up for a drink and chat in the pub after the game. Fulham in March seems a long time ago, and it’s really unclear if we will even be back to that situation by the beginning of next season.

We are currently in a race between the spread of the new variant and our ability to vaccinate enough of us to achieve herd immunity. That may be achieved by the summer but I wouldn’t bet on it at present without another significant lockdown period in the New Year.

Speaking for myself only, certainly no doctor or similar but unless it becomes markedly more virulent, lethal, or yields a notably higher mortality- these new strains are more infectious but not much more?

That's not to say I am underplaying it- guess the risk of the vaccines becoming ineffective with it is another important consideration too.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Speaking for myself only, certainly no doctor or similar but unless it becomes markedly more virulent, lethal, or yields a notably higher mortality- these new strains are more infectious but not much more?

That's not to say I am underplaying it- guess the risk of the vaccines becoming ineffective with it is another important consideration too.

This is a pretty good summary of what we know about the new variants, pending further data:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/23/what-do-we-know-about-the-two-new-covid-19-variants-in-the-uk

4 hours ago, winsaw said:

100%, football is in for a period of decline in attendances. It’s cyclical and people will be back in time. Many people have other priorities they will need to allocate the money to (we haven’t even begun to see the full effects of Covid on people’s lives generally) and some will just fall out of love with the game in this enforced break. It’s inevitable. The days of the £10-15k “journeyman” player are coming to and end.

Many would argue it might not be a bad thing because the saturation of money has ruined the game to a degree. I will renew my season ticket but there’s no doubt in my mind that another season or two of the “football” we have played in the last three years of Lansdown’s watch will severely test my loyalty in the long run.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

This is a pretty good summary of what we know about the new variants, pending further data:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/23/what-do-we-know-about-the-two-new-covid-19-variants-in-the-uk

Thanks, will have a good read of that,

There have been times in this 2nd phase that have worried me. When there was a notable uptick in young people getting it reported in late August, similarities to the 1918 Flu.. When reports from that time in Greece suggested average age of ICU admission was 39- this South African variant- these all worried me more than most of the strains/variants which have been more infectious but not notably different in other respects.

I'm sure Mr Ashton has a plan, after all, he was so accommodating to SCAT and the fans parliament when he didn't need them, resulting in SCAT buying additional tickets they could distribute.

With family tickets, children's tickets and various other offers being amended, people being moved and all that sort of thing, I'd wager he has a plan that gets the disenfranchised back in the stadium.

Maybe a 6th pillar needs to be added.

I will not be going back, whatever the virus situation, if the quality of the football on view has not improved significantly.

Win, lose or draw, it has been so dull and boring for the last three seasons that it's not worth the cost and the time.

PS. Can't wait to get back to Ashton Gate for Bristol Bears.

Archived