IGNORED

Going back when allowed

Maesknoll Red

I miss going to football, but as time goes on it’s got easier and easier which has really surprised me. It’s not just because we aren’t playing exciting stuff as I’ve sat through more drab matches than great ones overall.

I find I’m really missing away days though. Quite often we would make a day of it or stay somewhere for the weekend and go to the match as part of this. Other times we would use CATS and I miss the laughs on the coach @JerrySLO. I’ve heard at least one person has sadly passed away who was a regular on CATS, it’s a horrible thought that she might not be the only one missing when we can finally get back together, not that will be a while yet.

That brings me to another point, attending football without away fans? That’s not a good thought either.

Like others have said, it is the travelling to games that may be the issue for me. When will I be comfortable on a lengthy busy train journey again? (The train after the match from Parson Street is always rammed so not sure I’ll be doing that again - with apologies to @Never to the dark side! - but I do walk from/to BTM on occasions, although the journey to and from Bristol is often busy too). I gave up driving to matches a few years ago mainly because of the parking situation. In addition, one of the reasons I have a season ticket is because I like the location of my seat. If I can’t sit in that seat, a season ticket loses a big part of its attraction. 

I have a feeling the watching online option may be around for a long time yet - perhaps for ever. Maybe we will even see online season tickets. Whilst in the past football would not have wanted to offer that option because it would reduce the attendance at the ground, I think they may need to consider it in future - better to have some fans paying something to watch online than losing them completely. 

41 minutes ago, eardun said:

Like others have said, it is the travelling to games that may be the issue for me. When will I be comfortable on a lengthy busy train journey again? (The train after the match from Parson Street is always rammed so not sure I’ll be doing that again - with apologies to @Never to the dark side! - but I do walk from/to BTM on occasions, although the journey to and from Bristol is often busy too). I gave up driving to matches a few years ago mainly because of the parking situation. In addition, one of the reasons I have a season ticket is because I like the location of my seat. If I can’t sit in that seat, a season ticket loses a big part of its attraction. 

I have a feeling the watching online option may be around for a long time yet - perhaps for ever. Maybe we will even see online season tickets. Whilst in the past football would not have wanted to offer that option because it would reduce the attendance at the ground, I think they may need to consider it in future - better to have some fans paying something to watch online than losing them completely. 

If online season tickets are the future we're well and truly ******.... 

7 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

If online season tickets are the future we're well and truly ******.... 

If we miss much more live football, it'll get to the point where we expect the real game to be interrupted by a spinning wheel and then the ball being somewhere else entirely on the pitch.

The extended lockdown has meant people break the habit and the desire.

I was thinking of all my previous hobbies which I don't now really miss  - football, working in an office, foreign holidays, prostitutes, going to shops.

But mostly the prostitutes.

At the mo, I don't think I'll renew but will pick and  choose a few games to attend. I have multiple reasons.

Firstly, my dear old dad doesn't want to take on the Dolman steps any more. At 85, I totally get that. Football without dad makes me think.

Secondly, at 55, I'm starting to think about the possibility of early retirement and maybe moving South at some point.

The football is absolutely dire and, although I'm watching every game at the mo, it's not particularly enticing.

I've found non league stuff quite refreshing tbh. I'm getting used to not going.

As mentioned, nobody really knows what the 'new normal' is going to look like and this will certainly have a bearing.

I really have no idea what I will do tbh. After 48 years, that's quite an eye opener but my main feeling at the mo is 'not unless dad wants to go'.

City through and through but some things are more important.

Sad but true.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

At the mo, I don't think I'll renew but will pick and  choose a few games to attend. I have multiple reasons.

Firstly, my dear old dad doesn't want to take on the Dolman steps any more. At 85, I totally get that. Football without dad makes me think.

Secondly, at 55, I'm starting to think about the possibility of early retirement and maybe moving South at some point.

The football is absolutely dire and, although I'm watching every game at the mo, it's not particularly enticing.

I've found non league stuff quite refreshing tbh. I'm getting used to not going.

As mentioned, nobody really knows what the 'new normal' is going to look like and this will certainly have a bearing.

I really have no idea what I will do tbh. After 48 years, that's quite an eye opener but my main feeling at the mo is 'not unless dad wants to go.

Sad but true.

Could you not relocate to other parts of the ground due to your dad’s mobility?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Could you not relocate to other parts of the ground due to your dad’s mobility?

Dads mobility is just fine Dave, he's pretty fit for 85. That's just the reason he gives me. I think it's the cold evenings sat in one place getting to him now but he won't admit that. He's been going since the 50s so it's not a choice he's made easily.

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I really have no idea what I will do tbh. After 48 years, that's quite an eye opener but my main feeling at the mo is 'not unless dad wants to go'.

Sad but true.

Similar story for me, my old man isn't getting any younger and is waiting on replacement knees/showing general signs of age related ailments, he too finds the trek up the Dolman more of a challenge each season.

He'd jump at the chance of a move to the lower Lansdown, but is put off by both price, and weather.

If the bulk of our games were 3pm on a Saturday, he'd have no problem, but with midweek games generally being over the coldest time of the season I won't be surprised if he retires from active duty and gives the spend to a digital platform instead.

I think clubs may float the idea of an `online` ST just to see what the reaction would be. It is an option that would suit some - those who are in poor health and can`t physically get to the Gate for instance - and doesn`t an option already exist for those `overseas`?

We all know football needs a reset and this sort of thing I feel will form part of that. The 3pm Saturday rule has already disappeared this season - will it be reinstated? Who knows?

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think clubs may float the idea of an `online` ST just to see what the reaction would be. It is an option that would suit some - those who are in poor health and can`t physically get to the Gate for instance - and doesn`t an option already exist for those `overseas`?

We all know football needs a reset and this sort of thing I feel will form part of that. The 3pm Saturday rule has already disappeared this season - will it be reinstated? Who knows?

Yes I can see it being proposed. What will have been considered inconceivable in the past, may not be in the future. Not convinced my Dad in his 80s - who relies on public transport to get to matches - will want to renew his season ticket now (he may not have anyway but COVID will likely have firmed up the decision). He has been watching the home matches on Robins TV and, as you say, it could be an option that would suit some (plus provide some cash for clubs from fans who would not have otherwise paid). 

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes I can see it being proposed. What will have been considered inconceivable in the past, may not be in the future. Not convinced my Dad in his 80s - who relies on public transport to get to matches - will want to renew his season ticket now (he may not have anyway but COVID will likely have firmed up the decision). He has been watching the home matches on Robins TV and, as you say, it could be an option that would suit some (plus provide some cash for clubs from fans who would not have otherwise paid). 

One thing they would need to sort out though is the availability of free (illegal) streams.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

One thing they would need to sort out though is the availability of free (illegal) streams.

Shhh. Saving a fortune! ;)

27 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think that's a cracking idea LR.

Season Ticket will be stopped this season. Ultimately, I am a customer not receiving a product of anywhere near the level it should be for the money charged and I don't wish my money to be reinvested by the club into another cheap manager because they're mates with people at the club. I'll happily stump up my money when I feel the club will invest it in a management team with a view to making the playoffs of this division. 

While it remains a shocking product I'll continue to stream it illegally, because I don't want to give the club anymore money than I have as a customer to date (they don't deserve it and I don't owe them it), with the ability to switch it off and put on something more entertaining - like that fake fireplace video on Netflix. 

Some believe the club made a decision to appoint Holden based on the pandemic - if that is correct it probably sums up the short sightedness of our owner not recognising that it would be a lot easier to lose fans playing shite football for 3+ years now than if he had appointed an actual capable and qualified football manager.  It wouldn't surprise me to see sub 17k attendances on return without any restrictions if the club continue with Holden or some other typical SL manager. 

Archived