IGNORED

Loan players recalled

Lrrr

1 hour ago, Garycpos said:

Very frustrating for me to read all the posts... Jonny has never been given the opportunity here, and he has both earned it and deserved it. No mention at all of a recall, and I only believe he was extended to get a better sell on price.

That's really disappointing.

From all I've seen and heard he's just the sort of exciting player we need right now to give the team and fans a boost.

Bewildering goings-on at AG once again.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think the retuning loanees are here to solidify the bench, rather than be challengers for first 11 spots. 
A bench of Morton, Edwards, J Smith & Pring, each with some experience of league football, is a stronger bench than Towler, Z Smith, Bell and the other Edwards brother, all of whom have pretty much zero league experience. 

I don’t think anyone believes these youngsters to be our saviours, just to provide a stronger and slightly more experienced bench during the injury crisis. 

That might normally be the case but we have a crisis of unavailability & poor form, with games coming thick and fast.

These are not kids - the players above are surely capable of playing a couple of games (in rotation) to give more experienced players like Nagy, Rowe and Hunt a break.

If they do well, they can stay in for a bit.

Then there's the question of players playing in the position they can add most to the team - Morton surely has to be a better bet on the left than Massengo for instance; in which case Massengo could be deployed elsewhere where he is more effective and allow Nagy or Bakinson to have a rest.

Do you think we'd have been notably weaker against Luton if Morton and Pring, for instance, had been able to start, or would the enthusiasm and energy of 2 raring- to- go youngsters have perhaps reinvigorated the whole team?

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That might normally be the case but we have a crisis of unavailability & poor form, with games coming thick and fast.

These are not kids - the players above are surely capable of playing a couple of games (in rotation) to give more experienced players like Nagy, Rowe and Hunt a break.

Then there's the question of players playing in the position they can add most to the team - Morton surely has to be a better bet on the left than Massengo for instance; in which case Massengo could be deployed elsewhere where he is more effective and allow Nagy or Bakinson to have a rest.

Do you think we'd have been notably weaker against Luton if Morton and Pring, for instance, had been able to start, or would the enthusiasm and energy of 2 raring- to- go youngsters have perhaps reinvigorated the whole team?

Morton and Pring are good enough having played for Forest Green and Portsmouth. Pring particularly is very quick and skilfull. Put him in front of Rowe and he'll attack at speed and also get back to defend. An exciting player to watch. Of course the injury curse at AG could strike.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Superficially that’s possibly true, but firstly look at Joe Morrell’s career.

We sent him on loan to Margate, he couldn’t get a game there & they sent him back.

LJ then had to beg his Dad to take him on loan at Cheltenham & he only got his first start there because someone pulled out injured prior to the kickoff, he then played for Lincoln.

Morton is considered more of a first team prospect at present than those who are regulars on the bench, Pearson, Zac Smith or Towler, how do I know that? Because he was the one sent on loan to a league club.

We aren’t expecting any of those we recall from loan, except possibly Palmer, to go straight into the side & start games, they are to strengthen a bench that of late has had 4 or 5 with absolutely no first team experience on it.

If we gets a couple of games, others get a break then he will have done his job.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I think the retuning loanees are here to solidify the bench, rather than be challengers for first 11 spots. 
A bench of Morton, Edwards, J Smith & Pring, each with some experience of league football, is a stronger bench than Towler, Z Smith, Bell and the other Edwards brother, all of whom have pretty much zero league experience. 

I don’t think anyone believes these youngsters to be our saviours, just to provide a stronger and slightly more experienced bench during the injury crisis. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

51 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think when saying strengthen the bench, it also means they’ve got a better chance of playing 20 minutes at the end of game, and the occasional start to rest and rotate.  I think that is more realistic as an option than the current guys.

I think there is a big difference in having Adelakun, Pring, J.Smith and Morton on the bench who could undoubtedly take minutes than the current guys.  No disrespect to them, but as above there’s a reason why they didn’t go on loan.

Again it does beg the question of the u23 model and the loan model (across football not Bristol City) when the route to first team is u23 (as an underage) > loan > first team....when the loan system isn’t flexible enough to provide easy access to those loan players when you need them.

It is something that needs sorting out....big time.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah I agree. 
note to self. Don’t post whilst still drunk. ?

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Again it does beg the question of the u23 model and the loan model (across football not Bristol City) when the route to first team is u23 (as an underage) > loan > first team....when the loan system isn’t flexible enough to provide easy access to those loan players when you need them.

It is something that needs sorting out....big time.

I`ve been banging on about this since the rules changed. It`s so simple - all they need to do is say that players aged under 23 or 24 or whatever aren`t subject to the window rules.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sorry Noggers, you might’ve got the slightly wrong end of the stick on that one - my fault, I probably didn’t express it as clear as I could. 
What I meant was that these players are better squad-fillers than those 5 inexperienced kids we’ve got on there. 
Whilst none of them are ‘shoe-in’ starters, by having that stronger, slightly more experienced bench, will allow the rotation of the first teamers, giving them vital rest. 
We’ve rarely used our allotted 5 subs, and if so they’ve been for 3 or 4 minutes at the end of the game. 
These slightly more experienced players would be better suited than the current kids to be able to come on for maybe 30 mins or more, to give the regulars much needed respite. 

The one exception being Pring. I’d start him straight away. 

So yes, I agree with what you said. 

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ve been banging on about this since the rules changed. It`s so simple - all they need to do is say that players aged under 23 or 24 or whatever aren`t subject to the window rules.

Do you know what I’ve come up with lots of ideas re changing the rules, but never thought of something as simple as that.  Great idea.  Devil in detail, but concept absolutely brill.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what I’ve come up with lots of ideas re changing the rules, but never thought of something as simple as that.  Great idea.  Devil in detail, but concept absolutely brill.

The other thing would be to scrap the maximum clubs played for in a season rule for those players too. If we then sent a player to a League 2 club and they tore it up we could recall them and send them to League 1. If it then became clear they were Championship ready they come back and play for us. You can`t do that now and it can only be hindering the development of young players.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry Noggers, you might’ve got the slightly wrong end of the stick on that one - my fault, I probably didn’t express it as clear as I could. 
What I meant was that these players are better squad-fillers than those 5 inexperienced kids we’ve got on there. 
Whilst none of them are ‘shoe-in’ starters, by having that stronger, slightly more experienced bench, will allow the rotation of the first teamers, giving them vital rest. 
We’ve rarely used our allotted 5 subs, and if so they’ve been for 3 or 4 minutes at the end of the game. 
These slightly more experienced players would be better suited than the current kids to be able to come on for maybe 30 mins or more, to give the regulars much needed respite. 

The one exception being Pring. I’d start him straight away. 

So yes, I agree with what you said. 

Yep, well explained Harry, very much agree, especially the bit highlighted.

My frustration is partly due to reading just now that no move has been made to recall Jonny Smith, and generally that we seem so loath to give 'young' (word used advisedly) players a go to provide some sort of spark even though we're such a dull and knackered team.

Interested you rate Pring highly - his likely inclusion at least gives us a little more to look forward to.

On 31/12/2020 at 17:28, Lanterne Rouge said:

The other one of course is Louis Britton. Will he come back now after his dad`s slightly ill-advised tweet the other day?

I think his Dad was a bit outspoken but can't blame him tbh.

The lad has been given 45 minutes in the last 7 games and just one minute in the last 4.

He featured quite a lot beforehand. I'm not sure if their first choice(s) came back from injury or if the manager thinks he doesn't fit in or isn't good enough, but he's not getting enough minutes regardless.

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think his Dad was a bit outspoken but can't blame him tbh.

The lad has been given 45 minutes in the last 7 games and just one minute in the last 4.

He featured quite a lot beforehand. I'm not sure if their first choice(s) came back from injury or if the manager thinks he doesn't fit in or isn't good enough, but he's not getting enough minutes regardless.

There manager had his favourite (Burnett) good or bad would always start, so Louis was never given a chance, waste of a loan!! 

So let me get this right when we have a chronic injury list;

Watkins has returned from Aberdeen (injured) no doubt Sunderland bound at some point.

Edwards & Morton have returned from Grimsby (more to do with Holloway losing his job)

Janneh is back with the U23 squad but is recovering from an injury. 

Adelakun prefers to stay at Hull (as is reported)

Pring has not been recalled from Portsmouth. Despite our chronic left back shortage.

Jonny Smith hasn't been recalled (to the best of my knowledge)

Kasey Palmer hasn't been recalled as yet as it seems he prefers it at Swansea as he gets more opportunities as has been reported.

So as it stands we only have two young lads who have played at League Two level to bolster the first team squad. That's very worrying.

One would have thought that checks and contact would've been made over the last few weeks so that these players were enthused and ready to come back.

Happy for someone to put me right but it sounds incredible given our injury situation that we haven't got these players back.

15 minutes ago, Swede said:

Watkins has returned from Aberdeen (injured) no doubt Sunderland bound at some point.

Edwards & Morton have returned from Grimsby (more to do with Holloway losing his job)

Pring has not been recalled from Portsmouth. Despite our chronic left back shortage.

Kasey Palmer hasn't been recalled as yet as it seems he prefers it at Swansea as he gets more opportunities as has been reported.

So as it stands we only have two young lads who have played at League Two level to bolster the first team squad. That's very worrying.

One would have thought that checks and contact would've been made over the last few weeks so that these players were enthused and ready to come back.

Happy for someone to put me right but it sounds incredible given our injury situation that we haven't got these players back.

It’s been one day.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Pring, he’s cup-tied too....so although I would want him back ASAP to integrate with the squad, he won’t be able to play next Sunday.

I don’t think he can play next Sunday anyway (for Pompey) so he might aswell be back with us. 

I do have a feeling that the date we loaned players out is relevant. Holden said something about dates on Radio Bristol. 

Anyone know whether Nurse is any good? Not been getting game at Walsall so presumably either not good or injured. 

52 minutes ago, Swede said:

I'm sorry, but these guys who would prefer to stay where they are ? IF we want them back ,they should be on the next train back, don't care what they want, they are our players...........we own their ****** arses !

54 minutes ago, Swede said:

Yeah, let's bring all the other loanees back, right into a team which has just had a game postponed due to a potential COVID outbreak.

Smart move that would be wouldn't it.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Walsall fans seem to be very positive about him.

Not cup tied either. So could play in Portsmouth game. Back fit now after a while off. 

Could recall both him and Pring and use Rowe as midfield option?

That’s true, I can’t see James Morton being a serious contender to start in midfield. I’d quite like to see Rose in there.  

So what is the end game. Are any of the loanees or in fact the injured ones good enough to get us promotion? Are we taking a risk playing so many untried players or is it yet again hanging on lads to the end of the season.Seems to me that some proven quality is needed now, especially at 10 and midfield. Other clubs have worked that out. There’s no substitute for quality!

15 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

So what is the end game. Are any of the loanees or in fact the injured ones good enough to get us promotion? Are we taking a risk playing so many untried players or is it yet again hanging on lads to the end of the season.Seems to me that some proven quality is needed now, especially at 10 and midfield. Other clubs have worked that out. There’s no substitute for quality!

How do you propose we afford 'proven quality'? The club has been drained of its income, just because we have injuries doesn't mean we can go spend another £15,000 a week on another player plus a transfer fee, the injured players will return and then be lumbered with the increased cost. If we are planning to release a good number of those with their contracts expiring then it will be the summer where we see some sort of overhaul of the squad and adding new players. The loanees are coming back because we have 4 lads on the bench who'd never played a minute of 1st team football (before Bell's debut) and Edwards who'd briefly featured in a cup game. Any player more experienced therefore helps on the bench, and a case of filling a bench should more injuries occur seeing as we only named 8 on the bench after Edwards and O'Dowda's injuries and Hunt playing with a gash that opened up in his ankle which clearly needs resting and Vyner carrying a knock.

12 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I don’t think he can play next Sunday anyway (for Pompey) so he might aswell be back with us.

yep, that was the point I was trying and failing to make! ?

I do have a feeling that the date we loaned players out is relevant. Holden said something about dates on Radio Bristol.

it’s quite possible the recall clause could have either a notice period or a window when it can be done, e.g. not within first two weeks of window.  You would imagine most of our loanees were loaned out not expecting to come back into the first team equation, so inserting a slightly restricted clause might not have felt like a big deal.

Anyone know whether Nurse is any good? Not been getting game at Walsall so presumably either not good or injured.

Only seen bits and pieces but I like his energy and tenacity.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Reading the post, Kenny Jackett quoted as saying we’ve not been in touch. Obviously that might not be true but spring would seem the most logical recall right now.... surely out of courtesy you’d have let Pompey know there’s a chance we’ll want him back?

The other factor of course is.... do these players want to come back? Will DH play them of just warm the bench... the evidence so far is that you’ll warm the bench while others are played out of position (HNM of the left of midfield rather than blooding Pearson).  
why would Adelukun want to come back here? The management team have shown no faith in him so far... and if you’re him, it’s the same management. 

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Reading the post, Kenny Jackett quoted as saying we’ve not been in touch. Obviously that might not be true but spring would seem the most logical recall right now.... surely out of courtesy you’d have let Pompey know there’s a chance we’ll want him back?

The other factor of course is.... do these players want to come back? Will DH play them of just warm the bench... the evidence so far is that you’ll warm the bench while others are played out of position (HNM of the left of midfield rather than blooding Pearson).  
why would Adelukun want to come back here? The management team have shown no faith in him so far... and if you’re him, it’s the same management. 

Irrelevant. They're our players, we need them back here, and they do what they're damn well told.

Archived