IGNORED

Tommy Docherty RIP

Super

I saw him once at Ashton Gate at a celebrity event with him the celebrity.

He told us that when he was appointed as Rotherham manager, he promised the chairman that he would get them out of Division Two that season.

He kept his promise as they were relegated and John Galley, who he sold to City a few weeks later, scored plenty to keep us up.

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I remember him at an event at the Gate too - perhaps the same one as @cidered abroad.

He said something that's always stuck with me - "It's good to see Bristol City back where they belong......11th in Division 2"  

In many ways, that sums up my 50+ years of supporting City!

RIP Tommy. 

A man way ahead of his time!

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I saw him once at Ashton Gate at a celebrity event with him the celebrity.

He told us that when he was appointed as Rotherham manager, he promised the chairman that he would get them out of Division Two that season.

He kept his promise as they were relegated and John Galley, who he sold to City a few weeks later, scored plenty to keep us up.

I was there at that do  mucker

1 hour ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Tut Tut Dave, different spelling Sir ?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, ours is spelled ‘Doherty’ so it obviously isn’t ours ...?Happy New Year Dave ... ?

oh, come on.....Houghton / Hughton, Dasilva / Dasilva, Antony / Tony Rougier....I had to check. ???

2 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

RIP , a real character

I do recall him not be rather pleased with us when we beat Man U home and away in their promotion season of 1974-75 (Oh happy days)

I always remember his excuse when they played and lost to City at AG "My players are used to passing to others in red shirts!"

Followed by the bus back to Temple Meads when one or two of their fans.said "Fancy losing to sh*t like that!" I wisely kept my reply to myself!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

oh, come on.....Houghton / Hughton, Dasilva / Dasilva, Antony / Tony Rougier....I had to check. ???

I could never get why people called our midfielder Tommy Doc when there was no ‘c’ in his surname - strange ??

PS - your two versions of Dasilva (above) are identical - you’re having a ‘Weston super’ on this one ...

A friend of mine was coming back from London on the train late with a mate one evening. They'd been at the bar for a while and had taken on more than a few beers when Tommy Doc turned up. Somehow they thought it funny to break into song:

"Who's up Mrs Brown, who's up Mrs Brown".

Hilarious eh? After a couple of sharp words, one of which was 'off' he bought them a drink and had a good long natter. Very decent old style football bloke by all accounts.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Doc, Doc, Docherty

Who the ******* hell is he.'

Remember that being chanted when City fans charged the Man.Utd mob in the back corner of the EE in '74.

yep remember The Doc, Doc rather than the Tom, Tom but great days another gone but never forgotten R.I.P

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I could never get why people called our midfielder Tommy Doc when there was no ‘c’ in his surname - strange ??

PS - your two versions of Dasilva (above) are identical - you’re having a ‘Weston super’ on this one ...

He’s been called Doc’s since he was about 8 years old ??‍♂️

18 hours ago, handsofclay said:

As we prepared to play Man Utd at Old Trafford in the 76-77 season he said that he wouldn't cross the road to watch Bristol City. I felt affronted. However, these days I would cross the road but that's to avoid watching them. Even if it was the M4.

RIP a character.

He was probably still sulking about the 1974/75 season when we did the double over his Man Yoo team - even the gas got a win and draw against them that season I think ...

Archived