Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Brentford postponed


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed. If any player has caught it from their son or daughter the kids should be made to go without tea for a week.

Proper, proper old-school, non-of-this-namby-pamby child-centred, pre-snowflake and healthnsafety-gone-mad millenial-jessie bed-wetting pram-emptying, clip-round-the-ear, never-did-me-any-harm, anti-woke, 1970s discipline.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's hope all is above board at our end because taken from elsewhere, there would be sanctions possible. Suspect it'll be alright though.

@phantom Just have to bear in mind, in case any shortcomings do exist. I think nothing will come of it but we have to be certain as the EFL do investigate the circs behind every postponement.

Mind you the number of postponements and the speed at which they investigate- if we hit a miracle run, maybe we'll be promoted before the Investigation begins!

 

I don't think for one minute there would be anything underhand, for one thing we've never been smart enough to take advantage of situations .
I must admit I was a bit quizzical over the Lab shutting for the Bank Holiday, seems very strange in the current climate. But to use an excuse that is so easily checked would be ridiculous . As people have said, there are protocols in place, that would apply to reporting cases and reacting to cases too. I was taking the piss out of R*vers , when they called off games recently they didn't release how many cases or any details, we don't get to hear everything. 

In some way, I would be a little impressed if we did make a situation work in our favour. If there are people with minor symptoms and we genuinely can't double check, great. Call the game off and hope we have payers back in the 10 day window. I really don't think the Club would do that, Steve Lansdown comes across as a very straight laced guy. I also hope that it's all false positives or just cold symptoms, wouldn't wish COVID on anyone.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I read on the other thread, it maybe nothing- apologies if already posted- but the wording was interesting?

Mentioned the apparent Covid outbreak in our case, whereas Luton v QPR did not.

Would it not be just like us, or just our luck, to be the first to fall foul of this new tightening up by the EFL?

Semantics probably. Luton players have had tests and provided positive results, where as ours are suffering from "symptoms" and haven't been tested so nothing proved yet. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

An alternative is stop professional sport for a fortnight and to vaccinate all “designated professional sport staff” if professional sport in this country is deemed culturally important enough? If you take football and rugby at pro level that will be 10k players and staff tops? Then go and finish the season.

 

You're a good poster and I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic and taking just the P*ss?

Just in case there's even a tiny winy bit of seriousness to what you say then please give the 10,000 people who'll die in the next few weeks a little bit of thought - they might  also have quite liked a vaccine jab.

The day an overpaid 20+ yr old footballer gets health priority over any vulnerable individual is the the day professional football dies. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think for one minute there would be anything underhand, for one thing we've never been smart enough to take advantage of situations .
I must admit I was a bit quizzical over the Lab shutting for the Bank Holiday, seems very strange in the current climate. But to use an excuse that is so easily checked would be ridiculous . As people have said, there are protocols in place, that would apply to reporting cases and reacting to cases too. I was taking the piss out of R*vers , when they called off games recently they didn't release how many cases or any details, we don't get to hear everything. 

In some way, I would be a little impressed if we did make a situation work in our favour. If there are people with minor symptoms and we genuinely can't double check, great. Call the game off and hope we have payers back in the 10 day window. I really don't think the Club would do that, Steve Lansdown comes across as a very straight laced guy. I also hope that it's all false positives or just cold symptoms, wouldn't wish COVID on anyone.

Semantics probably. Luton players have had tests and provided positive results, where as ours are suffering from "symptoms" and haven't been tested so nothing proved yet. 
 

Agree in general. Lab being shut is unusual...?

'Suspended' is an interesting choice of term, wonder what % of EFL statements used that vs postponed- Luton v QPR was also 'suspended'. That could be semantics or it could indicate a suspicion.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I read on the other thread, it maybe nothing- apologies if already posted- but the wording was interesting?

Mentioned the apparent Covid outbreak in our case, whereas Luton v QPR did not.

Would it not be just like us, or just our luck, to be the first to fall foul of this new tightening up by the EFL?

Very doubtful 

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Very doubtful 

Well they've started using the term suspended- time will tell.

If this was Italy (subject to appeal) it might be 3-0 automatic loss and one point docked. That ruling was overturned however and the match rescheduled.

'Suspended' vs Postponed- very quick Google search suggests they've started using the former since about mid December in a fair few cases.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You're a good poster and I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic and taking just the P*ss?

Just in case there's even a tiny winy bit of seriousness to what you say then please give the 10,000 people who'll die in the next few weeks a little bit of thought - they might  also have quite liked a vaccine jab.

The day an overpaid 20+ yr old footballer gets health priority over any vulnerable individual is the the day professional football dies. 

 

What you’ve just said is the reason it won’t happen. What I was saying really is if it was deemed so important for people’s mental health/national importance for pro sport to be played that is a solution, especially if the government could get mass vaccination in place for everyone in a similar timeframe and therefore negate your point.

Should pro footballers get vaccinated INSTEAD of people suffering in hospitals? No way.

The reality is likely to be that football in the EFL will continue to stutter through until the powers that be belatedly realise that the season simply won’t get finished then they’ll cancel the season too late and all hell will let loose. That’s how I see it panning out unfortunately.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well they've started using the term suspended- time will tell.

If this was Italy (subject to appeal) it might be 3-0 automatic loss and one point docked. That ruling was overturned however and the match rescheduled.

With in excess of 50,000 people per day being infected nationwide then the EFL would need to be very certain of any wrongdoing or suffer a legal action second to none. It's not like we are the only ones postponing games either. In all honesty the conspiracies that are being dreamt up on this forum are both bizarre and amusing in equal measures.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think for one minute there would be anything underhand, for one thing we've never been smart enough to take advantage of situations .
I must admit I was a bit quizzical over the Lab shutting for the Bank Holiday, seems very strange in the current climate. But to use an excuse that is so easily checked would be ridiculous . As people have said, there are protocols in place, that would apply to reporting cases and reacting to cases too. I was taking the piss out of R*vers , when they called off games recently they didn't release how many cases or any details, we don't get to hear everything. 

In some way, I would be a little impressed if we did make a situation work in our favour. If there are people with minor symptoms and we genuinely can't double check, great. Call the game off and hope we have payers back in the 10 day window. I really don't think the Club would do that, Steve Lansdown comes across as a very straight laced guy. I also hope that it's all false positives or just cold symptoms, wouldn't wish COVID on anyone.

Semantics probably. Luton players have had tests and provided positive results, where as ours are suffering from "symptoms" and haven't been tested so nothing proved yet. 
 

It’s a private test centre, it has nothing to do with the current climate. 

The only people who could get a government test are the ones who have symptoms , even then the results wouldn’t be back in time. 

The WHOLE squad and backroom staff need testing using the private company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Was he wearing a mask ?  Is Gregor the super spreader? In the meantime I'm going to throw a curve ball for consideration. Is it vaguely possible that one of the players picked up the virus from another source other than Mark Ashton.  Unlikely I understand but is there an outside chance of contracting it from another family member over the Xmas period ?  I understand fully that the other 50,000 or so infections per day nationwide are down to Ashton but just maybe not in this instance. Unlikely as I say but could be an outside possibility.

Tone. I think you have misunderstood in this instance. 
Please may I make it categorically clear that I am not pointing a finger at Ashton for spreading covid. 
 

However, I am asking a genuine question as to why any non-playing staff are allowed in the dressing room. 
Football is supposedly being allowed to continue due to very tight covid regs. I’d be amazed if those regs allowed non playing staff in a dressing room. I don’t care whether that were Ashton, Lansdown or whoever - surely they are not allowed. 
 

I mean, the players, who spend all game in each other’s pockets, aren’t allowed to walk out of the tunnel together, yet now we hear that non playing staff are having casual chats with the players in the dressing room. 
 

Football’s covid protocols (or increasing total lack of / disdain for) are really starting to get my goat 😡 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

With in excess of 50,000 people per day being infected nationwide then the EFL would need to be very certain of any wrongdoing or suffer a legal action second to none. It's not like we are the only ones postponing games either. In all honesty the conspiracies that are being dreamt up on this forum are both bizarre and amusing in equal measures.

In line with their regs, matches are investigated- routine course of action, check the regs.

As we are the side who postponed/suspended the game, the investigation would be into us- as it would for any club who instigated the postponement.

Reading elsewhere, seems other clubs had no problem getting tested- albeit a number of games off. Suspect it'd be a line of inquiry, the shut Test Centre?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well they've started using the term suspended- time will tell.

If this was Italy (subject to appeal) it might be 3-0 automatic loss and one point docked. That ruling was overturned however and the match rescheduled.

'Suspended' vs Postponed- very quick Google search suggests they've started using the former since about mid December in a fair few cases.

If the EFL dock a single point or award a defeat in any instance where they cannot prove WILFUL deception has occurred they will see clubs in court, end of story.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If the EFL dock a single point or award a defeat in any instance where they cannot prove WILFUL deception has occurred they will see clubs in court, end of story.

Different rules in Italy I guess. Just citing an example from elsewhere. Mind you the team who benefited were Juventus- nothing dodgy there at all. :whistle2:

Only time will tell anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In line with their regs, matches are investigated- routine course of action, check the regs.

As we are the side who postponed/suspended the game, the investigation would be into us- as it would for any club who instigated the postponement.

Are you thinking there is wrongdoing or deception on our part?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Tone. I think you have misunderstood in this instance. 
Please may I make it categorically clear that I am not pointing a finger at Ashton for spreading covid. 
 

However, I am asking a genuine question as to why any non-playing staff are allowed in the dressing room. 
Football is supposedly being allowed to continue due to very tight covid regs. I’d be amazed if those regs allowed non playing staff in a dressing room. I don’t care whether that were Ashton, Lansdown or whoever - surely they are not allowed. 
 

I mean, the players, who spend all game in each other’s pockets, aren’t allowed to walk out of the tunnel together, yet now we hear that non playing staff are having casual chats with the players in the dressing room. 
 

Football’s covid protocols (or increasing total lack of / disdain for) are really starting to get my goat 😡 

May I just point out that Gregor has not always got his facts 100% correct in the past. We don't know what has gone on so let's stop spreading unsubstantiated gossip until we do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In line with their regs, matches are investigated- routine course of action, check the regs.

As we are the side who postponed/suspended the game, the investigation would be into us- as it would for any club who instigated the postponement.

Reading elsewhere, seems other clubs had no problem getting tested- albeit a number of games off. Suspect it'd be a line of inquiry, the shut Test Centre?

I very much doubt it

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Are you thinking there is wrongdoing or deception on our part?

Certainly not. I just find the wording on the EFL Comms for us and games in the last 2-3 weeks curious.

Investigations are routine.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I very much doubt it

Which bit do you doubt?

Just for the record. Investigations are nothing to be worried about, they're routine/standard but they are the standard course of action.

Quote

Penalty for Non-Fulfilment of Fixture Obligations

31.1 Any Club failing to fulfil its fixture obligations in respect of any match under the jurisdiction of The League on the appointed date or dates or causing The League to suspend any fixture shall be deemed guilty of misconduct, unless the circumstances giving rise to such failure are outside the control of the Club and could not have been reasonably foreseen or reasonably anticipated and remedied prior to the match.

31.2 The Club failing to fulfil its fixture or causing The League to suspend such fixture shall be liable to pay compensation for any expenses actually incurred by the opposing Club as a direct result of the failure or suspension. The amount of compensation will be at the discretion of the Board who will consider every such case on its merits. The Board may refer the amount of compensation to be paid to the Disciplinary Commission dealing with the misconduct by the Club failing to fulfil its fixture or causing The League to suspend the same.

 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different rules in Italy I guess. Just citing an example from elsewhere. Mind you the team who benefited were Juventus- nothing dodgy there at all. :whistle2:

Only time will tell anyway.

Interesting because I would suggest that any team found to have played knowing they had Covid cases and keeping it quiet or leaving players out as “injured” when suffering from Covid (clear deception) should be deducted points or forfeit the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Numero Uno said:

Interesting because I would suggest that any team found to have played knowing they had Covid cases and keeping it quiet or leaving players out as “injured” when suffering from Covid (clear deception) should be deducted points or forfeit the game.

I concur. I think all will be fine, we do things by the book at this club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree in general. Lab being shut is unusual...?

'Suspended' is an interesting choice of term, wonder what % of EFL statements used that vs postponed- Luton v QPR was also 'suspended'. That could be semantics or it could indicate a suspicion.

Yep, terminology is strange, but here's a thought. Suspended implies temporarily halting something , so I wonder if they want tests/results  and would/could make us play Sunday or Monday. Postponed would be later in the calendar, but suspended? We may be reading too much into this, but it is an interesting turn of phrase.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

 

Certainly not. I just find the wording on the EFL Comms for us and games in the last 2-3 weeks curious.

Investigations are routine.

Which bit do you doubt?

I doubt everything that emanates from an over fertile imagination. Just takes a confirmation letter from any medical professional and the EFL will be up shit creek investigation or not. Why not just stop the conspiracy bollocks and move on. The game is postponed (as are many others) due to a once in a lifetime pandemic that can kill people. End of !!  No conspiracy or anything similar. Time for some to wake up, grow up, shut up and accept the situation the whole world (not just the Championship in UK football) finds itself in.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigTone said:

I doubt everything that emanates from an over fertile imagination. Just takes a confirmation letter from any medical professional and the EFL will be up shit creek investigation or not. Why not just stop the conspiracy bollocks and move on. The game is postponed (as are many others) due to a once in a lifetime pandemic that can kill people. End of !!  No conspiracy or anything similar. Time for some to wake up, grow up, shut up and accept the situation the whole world (not just the Championship in UK football) finds itself in.

 

 

Wonder what the protocols were back in August/September ahead of the new season?

Not saying it is a conspiracy but the EFL do- as a matter of course- investigate all postponed games, the circs surrounding them etc- end of. Fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

'Suspended' is an interesting choice of term, wonder what % of EFL statements used that vs postponed- Luton v QPR was also 'suspended'. That could be semantics or it could indicate a suspicion.

You're looking for something that really isn't there.

They're using the word 'suspended' routinely and have been using it since September. There is only the very odd exception where they've used postponed.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How about the real Yes Men appointed him? Or do you think Dean hoodwinked them?

Dean was just a cheap option, with no experience which he was never going to turn the job down, he should have gone when the other two went

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder what the protocols were back in August/September ahead of the new season?

Not saying it is a conspiracy but the EFL do- as a matter of course- investigate all postponed games, the circs surrounding them etc- end of. Fact.

Who gives a shit. The situation today is a lot more serious than back in August so any protocol is outdated and totally meaningless. People seem to have this rather bizarre notion that the end of the pandemic is near and that normality is just around the corner. Dream on FFS. The worst is still to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

I’m not being funny but how on earth do you know that the private test facility the club use is open today?

The only people who had symptoms could get a government test, even then it wouldn’t be back in time. 

The whole squad and backroom staff have to be privately tested. 

If any player has symptoms, they should be getting a PCR test ASAP through the public testing a sites. If they all come back negative, then there is no need to test others.

If a player is positive, I just don’t understand why his teammates are exempt from 10 day isolation due to being a close contact. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

May I just point out that Gregor has not always got his facts 100% correct in the past. We don't know what has gone on so let's stop spreading unsubstantiated gossip until we do.

It’s a quote from Holden. He said it. 
 

F70C42F1-6DF9-49F4-B5D0-682CA1453DBC.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...