IGNORED

Today’s Football

Red Army 75

18 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Ok, so playing devils advocate lets look at that. Yes we have a large number of injuries, so who do we have coming back?

Baker - maybe just maybe will be great but also likely to get injured again

Mawson - unfortunately looks to have a weakness in that knee and no guarantee it will hold up (Fulham fans did tell us)

Williams - unlikely to kick a ball this season, played in a relegated side last year

Walsh - cannot get fit and do not know why, out of contract in the summer. Great in league one last year

Paterson - form was dwindling pre-injury, always had streaky runs but on song adds a lot. Was loaned out a year ago

Sessegnon - 16 league matches in his career

Weimann - unlikely to kick a ball again this season

Brunt - added very little so far

O’Dowda - hitting form but has been patchy in run up to injury

Dasilva - struggled with injury all year and form

Now, the above is pretty quick, crude and tongue in cheek look, however, my questions are these:

Out of the injured players, who is likely to not have a relapse? Why is that?

Of the remaining players do they have the quality or proven experience to make a difference to results in dramatic enough fashion to kick us on to the top 6 position we were assured was the aim?

A fully fit squad means numbers are swelled but not a guarantee of quality. A lot is being made of the injury list but I think we need to be very careful to use it as an ongoing reason for our performances.

Agree Weimann is out for the season. The rest?

1. Baker- Might do, but he's been in and out before. Missed 22 games this season as it goes, 22 out of 22.
  2. Mawson- Yes, that's a problem and concern- have we a timescale?
  3. Williams. That relegation had a big asterix against- Wigan's form from maybe sometime in February was fantastic! The new owner went in, plunged them into admin and 12 points off- despite that they almost survived. Let's hope he is fit sooner rather than later! Like Baker and Walsh, has missed 22 out of 22
  4. Walsh- No he can't but scope to improve us if fit- think his League One form and bits of play here show good signs- can break the lines, can tackle. As above for fitness- has missed 22/22 like Baker and Williams.
  5. Paterson- Reasonable output, goal or assist every 3 games. Shone brighter in the early months absolutely, but always feel he can get some goals from midfield.
  6. Sessegnon- Yes, but young and promising- think he can give Hunt some competition, especially if we play with wingbacks again?
  7. Brunt- Agreed. Sooner would have kept Morrell.
  8. O'Dowda- I know, patchy for sure- but can give us something. Versatility on the left would spare Wells that position, that alone might help us, and tactically able to play central or wider. Paterson and Weimann can also do this (not on the left, I mean sort of in and out).
  9. DaSilva- Not just this season but he missed about half of 2019/20 too! Leeds opening day first game, didn't play again until Charlton away on Boxing Day! I think he can do more though, I'd like to see him produce more in an attacking sense, reckon he has the raw ability.

Relapse is absolutely a concern. Bad luck, who knows.

Top 6 harder to say, but goalposts being moved a bit? You suggested concern about relegation- I'm suggesting that they would absolutely see us put that concern to bed. Top 6? We would probably join more readily a clutch of top 6 contenders- and there are many this year!

It would improve quality. It would enable us to rest and rotate- I think we have played Martin into the ground e.g., or are doing so- I think Nagy might have been one of those at risk of similar- Vyner, Moore, Bakinson, Semenyo and when he gets a go, Massengo are all young- they are all fit but young players can need to be taken in and out of the firing line- their form will have peaks and troughs, it's natural.

I also believe that the injuries will improve simply by law of averages. Not fully fit of course, but a hell of a lot less!

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Add Mawson, Baker, DaSilva, Williams, Walsh and Paterson- and things improve! Isn't Sessegnon due back too?

I don't think Brunt and O'Dowda out for the season either.

I dont see any of those playing much of a part in the remainder of our season personally, apart from Paterson, but he was off it for a while himself anyway.

Baker may see back, but don’t think we will see Dasilva, Mawson, Williams or Walsh this season, O’dowda doesn’t sound hopeful either, Sessegnon maybe? Think we can all hope we don’t have to see Brunt again.....

57 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I dont see any of those playing much of a part in the remainder of our season personally, apart from Paterson, but he was off it for a while himself anyway.

Baker may see back, but don’t think we will see Dasilva, Mawson, Williams or Walsh this season, O’dowda doesn’t sound hopeful either, Sessegnon maybe? Think we can all hope we don’t have to see Brunt again.....

Trying to be optimistic .......

There has to be a chance of Mawson & Sessignon at some stage, otherwise why send them back here?
Walsh, from Holden's interview, along with Baker I think we may see something early to mid Feb.

As for ..........
Williams I think he has been written off.
COD I think will be too close to the end of the season.
DaSilva , again too close to the end.

Then there's ....
Paterson, who knows. The sort of niggle that can go on.
Brunt, I'd rather give HNM or the other youngsters games TBH. But for numbers, could be back Feb.
Weimann, it takes as long as it takes.

If we could get Mawson or Baker back it would make a difference. Walsh , I'm a fan but I don't see a single player in MF making the sort of difference we need. Sessignon would just give us cover. In real terms, getting the players back, who are in with a chance this season, will not make enough difference to turn us into a top 6 side this year. Full squad, I'd say a real chance, as it stands no.

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There has to be a chance of Mawson & Sessignon at some stage, otherwise why send them back here?
Walsh, from Holden's interview, along with Baker I think we may see something early to mid Feb.

As for ..........

Then there's ....
Brunt, I'd rather give HNM or the other youngsters games TBH. But for numbers, could be back Feb.

If we could get Mawson or Baker back it would make a difference. Walsh , I'm a fan but I don't see a single player in MF making the sort of difference we need. Sessignon would just give us cover. In real terms, getting the players back, who are in with a chance this season, will not make enough difference to turn us into a top 6 side this year. Full squad, I'd say a real chance, as it stands no.

Tins seemed quite optimistic on the Wycombe (?) game about Baker & Mawson

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As for ..........

Then there's ....

Ok, so we now know Williams did his hamstring rehab’ing with his thigh.  If he did that (even) fairly recently, why isn’t he back in the next month or so?  Why would his injury be longer than some of the other hamstring injuries?

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, so we now know Williams did his hamstring rehab’ing with his thigh.  If he did that (even) fairly recently, why isn’t he back in the next month or so?  Why would his injury be longer than some of the other hamstring injuries?

TBH, I've given up on watching ALL the updates. I saw the one Holden says "setbacks" but didn't see hamstring. If he's torn it, why hasn't the club said that? I know hamstring niggles can go on a bit, but this day and age surely they know exactly what the problem is, even if recuperation  time varies.

ODowda is hamstring and is out for "months". I can sort of understand during the games getting a tear exerting yourself, but was Williams even at that stage? Was he even doing sprints?

3 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not bothered about Brunt either if I'm honest.

Really? All of Mawson, DaSilva, Williams and Walsh. That's a blow. Thought January/February time has been mooted in various cases.

Decent amount of my hopes are based on most of the injured returning and playing a decent part between then and May.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not bothered about Brunt either if I'm honest.

Really? All of Mawson, DaSilva, Williams and Walsh. That's a blow. Thought January/February time has been mooted in various cases.

Decent amount of my hopes are based on most of the injured returning and playing a decent part between then and May.

I really hope im proven wrong and they do come back, but im not sure we will. Dasilva i am almost certain we wont see back, he has had shin problems before and has only just had his operation, can see him given a good 5-6 months recovery in the hope it never flares up again.

Mawson with his own past injuries along with the current bad one (possibly worst he has done?) not so sure he will be desperate to rush himself back for a club he is only on loan at, think him and Sessegnon may still be here as we have already had to pay a guaranteed fee for the season perhaps, no idea.

Williams i dont think we will see, Walsh i guess is a possibilty depending on whether you believe there is anything in the contract rumours or not. 

Hoping i am wrong, but i won’t be pinning any hopes on the injured saving our season, would also take a good 4-5 games for them to get to speed anyway as they are all long term.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Missed this Dave 

Where was this explained or revealed ?

Need a scrutiny of our fitness and medical staff IMHO

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Missed this Dave 

Where was this explained or revealed ?

Need a scrutiny of our fitness and medical staff IMHO

I asked Gregor to ask Holden whether Williams was still suffering from thigh injury.  He asked, Holden said pre-Brentford - “no, he’s picked up a hamstring injury during rehab “.

Archived