IGNORED

Electric Shavers For Men

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

What do you use/recommended?

I've been wet-shaving for years, but I am wondering if the more modern electric shaver might be quicker and less hassle than a bladed handle and a sink full of hot water.

Never

23 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

I've used Phillip's for years. The ones with three cutting heads in a triangle shape. Always been happy with them. 

That’s the type that my man uses too. He has never wet shaved, can’t be doing with the hassle. The one he has is rechargeable so he generally walks around the bedroom/bathroom and shaves which he finds convenient. Phillips shavers are good quality and last forever too.

I use the Phillips One Blade. I don’t bother with the guards on it and use it with just the blade when shave it down. I’m also very lazy and leave my beard to grow for 4 weeks plus before I then shave it all off again.

14 minutes ago, cider11 said:

I use the Phillips One Blade. I don’t bother with the guards on it and use it with just the blade when shave it down. I’m also very lazy and leave my beard to grow for 4 weeks plus before I then shave it all off again.

Phillips One Blade gives an excellent close shave and great value for money.

I use that for beard shaping and close shave then a Remington for trimming the beard. 

I got a Wahl beard trimmer for Xmas, after a recommendation from my barber and it was actually crap! 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have a Braun shaver that was ok but like most electric razors you don’t get as clean a cut as you would when you wet shaved.

I  haven’t used it for a couple of years tho. I now use a beard trimmer - no more than once a month tho.

Definitely get more blood with a wet shave!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have a Braun shaver that was ok but like most electric razors you don’t get as clean a cut as you would when you wet shaved.

I  haven’t used it for a couple of years tho. I now use a beard trimmer - no more than once a month tho.

My God you turn me on Chunky Trunks xxx

Hi Bristol Rob, 

I very rarely post these days but I can share some insight into your question.

A year ago, my trusted Braun electric shaver model 8583 needed a foil replacement (around £25. Available online and at Boots etc). Mine normally last 18 months and I've had the shaver for several years. Braun make robust shavers and are owned by Gillette!

Foils are like car tyres, they will need replacing and not just because of breakage. I've never shaved with a car tyre so that's the end of that analogy.

However, I thought I'd try a new brand in case there is a better made shaver to the Braun. 

It is generally considered that if you have been using a standard foil shaver not to change to a rotary version (Philips). Something to do with your skin reacting blah, blah.

I must have spent hours if not days on what to buy and whether or not to revert to the traditional form of wet shaving.

Before buying my new shaver, I thought I'd try for one last time, a wet shave. I purchased a Gillette Mach3. Apart from the odd nick here and there, the finished result was impressive BUT did I really want to run a basin full of warm water every day and go through that process? No.

I also tried the Philips One Blade system using a specially bought blade but using my son's. The result was acceptable but I wanted to stick with a rechargeable foil shaver.

Having seen all the youtube reviews and read everything I could find on Google etc, it came down to 2 models: another Braun or the flagship Panasonic LV95.  The flagship Braun was way more expensive but their foils are half the price of the Panny. I can vouch for this as I broke my Panasonic foil a few months ago and had to pay £45!

Why did I choose the Panasonic after decades of Braun models? It was half price plus when I phoned Shavers.co.uk based in Nottingham, the very helpful lady said most of the blokes used them. When pushed she said my wife would prefer to kiss me having shaved with the Panny as opposed to the Braun!

I did do a 50-50 test comparing the old Braun to my new Panasonic. It was an unfair test as the Braun foil was over 12 months old. However, my wife felt there was a difference and that the Panny left a closer shave.

The more expensive rechargeable shavers are waterproof so you can shave in the shower. Foils need lubrication as well to perform better so shaving in the shower does give better results than just a straight forward dry shave. In fact, my Panny can do a wet shave using Shaving Gel! I bought the Gillette Blue gel to try and it really works well with the shaver. 

Most of the time I can't be bothered with a shower or gel shave so a straight forward dry shave is the norm. As I'm a full-time carer to my wife, the days of having to look professional in appearance are long gone, so a quick shave is the norm.

Cleaning the shaver, like most models is easy but if your choice allows you to rinse the head, so much the better. 

The Panasonic gives about a week's worth of shaving. Typically for me that's based on around 4 mins shaving per day. The charger also cleans the head with a liquid (in sachets) that is added to the built in reservoir.

12 months on from purchasing the Panasonic, it is still working well and is obviously well built like most products of theirs. 

Do rechargeable shavers leave the 'As close as a man can get' result that wet shavers supposedly can? Very, very nearly especially when using gel or in the shower or both!

PS I bought online as every shop I tried within a 20 mile radius only stock the basic/mid range. If only I still lived in Bristol as there must be a store you can buy from.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Hi Bristol Rob, 

A year ago, my trusted Braun electric shaver model 8583 needed a foil replacement (around £25. Available online and at Boots etc). Mine normally last 18 months and I've had the shaver for several years. Braun make robust shavers and are owned by Gillette!

Foils are like car tyres, they will need replacing and not just because of breakage. I've never shaved with a car tyre so that's the end of that analogy.

However, I thought I'd try a new brand in case there is a better made shaver to the Braun. 

It is generally considered that if you have been using a standard foil shaver not to change to a rotary version (Philips). Something to do with your skin reacting blah, blah.

I must have spent hours if not days on what to buy and whether or not to revert to the traditional form of wet shaving.

Before buying my new shaver, I thought I'd try for one last time, a wet shave. I purchased a Gillette Mach3. Apart from the odd nick here and there, the finished result was impressive BUT did I really want to run a basin full of warm water every day and go through that process? No.

I also tried the Philips One Blade system using a specially bought blade but using my son's. The result was acceptable but I wanted to stick with a rechargeable foil shaver.

Having seen all the youtube reviews and read everything I could find on Google etc, it came down to 2 models: another Braun or the flagship Panasonic LV95.  The flagship Braun was way more expensive but their foils are half the price of the Panny. I can vouch for this as I broke my Panasonic foil a few months ago and had to pay £45!

Why did I choose the Panasonic after decades of Braun models? It was half price plus when I phoned Shavers.co.uk based in Nottingham, the very helpful lady said most of the blokes used them. When pushed she said my wife would prefer to kiss me having shaved with the Panny as opposed to the Braun!

I did do a 50-50 test comparing the old Braun to my new Panasonic. It was an unfair test as the Braun foil was over 12 months old. However, my wife felt there was a difference and that the Panny left a closer shave.

The more expensive rechargeable shavers are waterproof so you can shave in the shower. Foils need lubrication as well to perform better so shaving in the shower does give better results than just a straight forward dry shave. In fact, my Panny can do a wet shave using Shaving Gel! I bought the Gillette Blue gel to try and it really works well with the shaver. 

Most of the time I can't be bothered with a shower or gel shave so a straight forward dry shave is the norm. As I'm a full-time carer to my wife, the days of having to look professional in appearance are long gone, so a quick shave is the norm.

Cleaning the shaver, like most models is easy but if your choice allows you to rinse the head, so much the better. 

The Panasonic gives about a week's worth of shaving. Typically for me that's based on around 4 mins shaving per day. The charger also cleans the head with a liquid (in sachets) that is added to the built in reservoir.

12 months on from purchasing the Panasonic, it is still working well and is obviously well built like most products of theirs. 

Do rechargeable shavers leave the 'As close as a man can get' result that wet shavers supposedly can? Very, very nearly especially when using gel or in the shower or both!

PS I bought online as every shop I tried within a 20 mile radius only stock the basic/mid range. If only I still lived in Bristol as there must be a store you can buy from.

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Apologies for not doing a Davefevs as in providing stats and pictures!

It's fine @Norn Iron to be fair I never thought that I would be reading a comprehensive review of an electric razor on a football forum (right to the end as well), so you can be forgiven for omitting the pictures and stats.

Hi Bristol Rob, 

I was clean shaven before I started reading this, and now I need a shave!  Any recommendations?!  Only joking!  A more comprehensive review on a basic piece of male grooming kit you'll struggle to find..........bravo @Norn Iron:clap:

Hi Bristol Rob, 

Wow! 

Wasn't expecting a Which? Review!

Adds food for thought as I'd only been considering the Philips or the Braun.

Thanks a lot.

Archived