IGNORED

Minehead almost make the football league

Davefevs

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Somerset County League now!!

Yes, I recall playing against them in the Western League.  Arranged a whole club trip to Butlins that weekend.  Never have I been happier for the manager to tell me I was sub the following day.  Came on for 15 mins and didn’t have a run in me. ?

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hard to believe, but back in the 70s it was almost them, not Wimbledon that made it.

368B74BE-F81E-4427-924E-771813BA8413.thumb.jpeg.f28156eaa68917b752027162c573b383.jpeg

Stop it.

You’re teasing me.....

Football when it was football. BL. And BSky. And BPL.....

Bob Boyd was a nice bloke. Enjoyed the mid week trip to officiate down there.

The early 80s. Grim times but thanks to the likes of BB and others we’re still here.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I recall playing against them in the Western League.  Arranged a whole club trip to Butlins that weekend.  Never have I been happier for the manager to tell me I was sub the following day.  Came on for 15 mins and didn’t have a run in me. ?

Team I played for did exactly the same when we played Watchet Town.......got back to our chalets at 4am on the Saturday am. One lad threw up at half time but we only lost 2-1!!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hard to believe, but back in the 70s it was almost them, not Wimbledon that made it.

368B74BE-F81E-4427-924E-771813BA8413.thumb.jpeg.f28156eaa68917b752027162c573b383.jpeg

Watched a lot of them in the early 70s living in Taunton and watching Taunton when couldn’t get to City Away

Good Side

And great days of non league Football

Taunton , Falmouth , Minehead....

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They did indeed, Warren Barton played for them.

I remember Warren Barton when he played for Wimbledon at the Gate in an fa cup tie in the 1990s because he scored near the end to force a replay. And I think we won the replay at Selhurst Park 1-0. Dreadful to watch the long ball game from the Dons, but still better than what we're seeing now.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Remeber reading, it may have been, halifaxs chairmen, supplied every team with coal.

Thats why they always got voted to stay in the leauge,

Another old tradition, now long gone, was each team was given a box of fresh fish when when they played at Grimsby. This was in the pre EU days when Grimsby had a large fishing fleet. I suppose, until a couple of weeks ago, the modern equivalent would be an autographed photo of Ian Holloway. I’d rather have the fish 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Another old tradition, now long gone, was each team was given a box of fresh fish when when they played at Grimsby. This was in the pre EU days when Grimsby had a large fishing fleet. I suppose, until a couple of weeks ago, the modern equivalent would be an autographed photo of Ian Holloway. I’d rather have the fish 

Reading used to give the ref a box of posh Huntley & Palmer biscuits until the league told them not to.

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember Warren Barton when he played for Wimbledon at the Gate in an fa cup tie in the 1990s because he scored near the end to force a replay. And I think we won the replay at Selhurst Park 1-0. Dreadful to watch the long ball game from the Dons, but still better than what we're seeing now.

barton scored an own goal late in the game to level the tie......city scored early doors up there and hung on to win it

Thanks for posting.

Happy memories for me, from 1976 I barely missed a Minehead game for the next 4 years, the only times were when I was lucky enough to get someone to take me up to Bristol to watch City. 
Most of the players came from Bristol and South Wales, my uncle would drive the players in a  mini bus from Newport, calling into Bristol and on to Minehead.

It really was a team that was a joy to watch and with City in the top flight and Somerset CCC winning trophies for the first time ever, it really was a heady time to be a sports mad teenager. 

The minute I was old enough to get a job and pass my test all 3 teams went tits up ?

My Nan and Grandads house looked out onto the corner of the pitch from Queens Road. They used to do the half time teas and my Grandad picked up a City embossed towel for me after the reserves played there early 70's. Whenever I stayed  with my Grandparents I used to practise penalties in one of the goals (there used to be white wooden fencing in front of the goals to protrect them...perfect height to imagine it was a diving keeper !!) 

Geoff Hurst attended the clubhouse for some reason mid 70's and I have a photo of my Nan getting his autograph for me.

I remember the Portsmouth game well. I didnt go but I know my grandparents did and I probably still have the programme somewhere.

Always wanted to play a match at Irnham Road but unfortunately their fall into the Somerset Senior League was too late for me. (Watchet was the closest I got).

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Thanks for posting.

Happy memories for me, from 1976 I barely missed a Minehead game for the next 4 years, the only times were when I was lucky enough to get someone to take me up to Bristol to watch City. 
Most of the players came from Bristol and South Wales, my uncle would drive the players in a  mini bus from Newport, calling into Bristol and on to Minehead.

It really was a team that was a joy to watch and with City in the top flight and Somerset CCC winning trophies for the first time ever, it really was a heady time to be a sports mad teenager. 

The minute I was old enough to get a job and pass my test all 3 teams went tits up ?

Similar story for me - Spent my childhood years in Minehead , then Taunton , City home games (Thanks Dad) Minehead or Taunton if not (Thanks Dad) and Somerset Cricket , watching the emergence of Close, Botham , Richards & Co , everyday after school , and every weekend , and school holidays in the Summer

Heady Days !

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

My Nan and Grandads house looked out onto the corner of the pitch from Queens Road. They used to do the half time teas and my Grandad picked up a City embossed towel for me after the reserves played there early 70's. Whenever I stayed  with my Grandparents I used to practise penalties in one of the goals (there used to be white wooden fencing in front of the goals to protrect them...perfect height to imagine it was a diving keeper !!) 

Geoff Hurst attended the clubhouse for some reason mid 70's and I have a photo of my Nan getting his autograph for me.

I remember the Portsmouth game well. I didnt go but I know my grandparents did and I probably still have the programme somewhere.

Always wanted to play a match at Irnham Road but unfortunately their fall into the Somerset Senior League was too late for me. (Watchet was the closest I got).

I’ve got a funny story about Queens rd, maybe your grandparents house.

One day the successful Somerset cricket club came down to Minehead to play a friendly game for charity. 
Led by the useful Ian Botham the cricketers had some good footballers. Also at the game as a spectator was a mate of Beefy’s, a certain Bob Willis.

As you can imagine Beefy wanted to be at the centre of everything and when the cricketers won a free kick on the edge of the penalty box there was only one person who was going to take it.

Anyway, almost predictably he blasted it high over the bar....over the hedge...over the road into the front garden of one of the houses on Queens rd. The nearest spectator was the aforementioned Bob Willis who went through the small gate, crossed the road and knocked on the door and asked for the ball back.

I was watching from the grandstand and the look of puzzlement on the homeowners face as England’s finest fast bowler was stood at his door asking for his ball back, will remain with me forever 

Archived