IGNORED

Minehead almost make the football league

Davefevs

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

My Nan and Grandads house looked out onto the corner of the pitch from Queens Road. They used to do the half time teas and my Grandad picked up a City embossed towel for me after the reserves played there early 70's. Whenever I stayed  with my Grandparents I used to practise penalties in one of the goals (there used to be white wooden fencing in front of the goals to protrect them...perfect height to imagine it was a diving keeper !!) 

Geoff Hurst attended the clubhouse for some reason mid 70's and I have a photo of my Nan getting his autograph for me.

I remember the Portsmouth game well. I didnt go but I know my grandparents did and I probably still have the programme somewhere.

Always wanted to play a match at Irnham Road but unfortunately their fall into the Somerset Senior League was too late for me. (Watchet was the closest I got).

Scored in a pre season mini tournament final penalty shoot out for my under 12/13 team back in the early 90’s. On a separate time my brother got stung in the mouth there by a wasp and had to be rushed to hospital.  Great days (the penalty not my brother getting stung - honest!) 

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Similar story for me - Spent my childhood years in Minehead , then Taunton , City home games (Thanks Dad) Minehead or Taunton if not (Thanks Dad) and Somerset Cricket , watching the emergence of Close, Botham , Richards & Co , everyday after school , and every weekend , and school holidays in the Summer

Heady Days !

Sounds like we had similar childhoods Shelts,  just maybe slightly different eras ?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I recall playing against them in the Western League.  Arranged a whole club trip to Butlins that weekend.  Never have I been happier for the manager to tell me I was sub the following day.  Came on for 15 mins and didn’t have a run in me. ?

I worked a Summer season in the kitchens at Butlin's Minehead, must have been '77.

Quite excited to get the job - 4 of us applied together but I was the only 1 accepted - but turned out to be the Breakfast early shift, starting at 5.30 iirc, including cooking 100 fried eggs at a time on a huge griddle.

Working with people from all over the country and got friendly with a lad from Liverpool.

Anyway, I heard City were coming to play a pre season friendly against Minehead and he wanted to come with me.

He was quite excited, thought it would be a good atmosphere.

"How many coaches do you reckon City will bring, about 14?"

I didn't think we'd bring any bloody coaches but didn't want to put him off, '0h, I don't know, we'll see, it's only a friendly.'

Anyway, turned out to be a City reserve/3rd team, and a small crowd with almost no one else in City colours. He was disappointed, having hoped for a big crowd and even bit of trouble! As it was, it was a stroll around with players I mostly didn't recognise and I can't even remember the score!

Lost that job early because I couldn't resist bunking off and coming back to Bristol for a pre season game v Rovers which we won but turned out to be a final straw as far as Butlin's was concerned.

Just as well, bloody awful job!

21 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember Warren Barton when he played for Wimbledon at the Gate in an fa cup tie in the 1990s because he scored near the end to force a replay. And I think we won the replay at Selhurst Park 1-0. Dreadful to watch the long ball game from the Dons, but still better than what we're seeing now.

Yep....Andy May scored after about 10 mins from 20 yards

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Glad I’ve helped bring some great memories.  Andy Leitch was apprentice to my dad in the print trade.

Used to watch andy leitch and strike partner dino delarzi for ralphy millers cadbury heath they had a fantsatic side back then and games attracted big crowds the football was excitng and ralphys antcics on the line a added bonus great times als travelled to hendon to watch bristol stgeorge in a cup replay in front of a large crowd with a massive following from bristol players i remember mike gummer john smallcombe johnny price and the legend bob tiger grimshaw what fantastic memories

On 03/01/2021 at 12:57, Oh Louie louie said:

Recall maidstone, made it to the leauge years later.

My mate is Frome Town manager, and they drew Maidstone in the 2nd round of FA Vase, and Maidstone are classed as an ‘Elite Club’ so can play games even if in Tier 4 for COVID (which they are), Frome are not elite and had to choose to travel to Kent to play the match (against government guidelines) risking players health, or forfeit the game, the FA wouldn’t back down and they lost out of much needed money 

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

Used to watch andy leitch and strike partner dino delarzi for ralphy millers cadbury heath they had a fantsatic side back then and games attracted big crowds the football was excitng and ralphys antcics on the line a added bonus great times als travelled to hendon to watch bristol stgeorge in a cup replay in front of a large crowd with a massive following from bristol players i remember mike gummer john smallcombe johnny price and the legend bob tiger grimshaw what fantastic memories

He was my Imperial Reserve Team Player-Manager when I was 16/17.  I can only imagine that he must’ve been a very good player in his day.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was my Imperial Reserve Team Player-Manager when I was 16/17.  I can only imagine that he must’ve been a very good player in his day.

A big tall strong and mobile centre foward dave he was mustard mate i think that cadburyheath team won the glos county league 5 or 6 years on the trot some games the crowd would be 3 or 4 deep all round the pitch i used to watch them bristol stgeorge the city city reserves city youth i just couldnt get enogh fooball in fact when there was no games at the gate i would jump on a bus at the island to the gate just to walk around the ground peering through the gate by the eastend turnstiles

25 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

A big tall strong and mobile centre foward dave he was mustard mate i think that cadburyheath team won the glos county league 5 or 6 years on the trot some games the crowd would be 3 or 4 deep all round the pitch i used to watch them bristol stgeorge the city city reserves city youth i just couldnt get enogh fooball in fact when there was no games at the gate i would jump on a bus at the island to the gate just to walk around the ground peering through the gate by the eastend turnstiles

I was on about John Smallcombe ?

As for Leitch, my dad said he played a few games with him for Totterdown way back.

23 hours ago, archie andrews said:

barton scored an own goal late in the game to level the tie......city scored early doors up there and hung on to win it

I remember that I was in the enclosure and the goal was scored in the east end but I didn't realise it was an og. D'oh I missed the most interesting part of the anecdote (it's all relative :)

23 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve got a funny story about Queens rd, maybe your grandparents house.

One day the successful Somerset cricket club came down to Minehead to play a friendly game for charity. 
Led by the useful Ian Botham the cricketers had some good footballers. Also at the game as a spectator was a mate of Beefy’s, a certain Bob Willis.

As you can imagine Beefy wanted to be at the centre of everything and when the cricketers won a free kick on the edge of the penalty box there was only one person who was going to take it.

Anyway, almost predictably he blasted it high over the bar....over the hedge...over the road into the front garden of one of the houses on Queens rd. The nearest spectator was the aforementioned Bob Willis who went through the small gate, crossed the road and knocked on the door and asked for the ball back.

I was watching from the grandstand and the look of puzzlement on the homeowners face as England’s finest fast bowler was stood at his door asking for his ball back, will remain with me forever 

No.3 next to the entrance for the car park. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Archived