IGNORED

Brunt gone

CyderInACan

Must have been as much a success off the field as on it if they haven't decided to keep him on. If he was real benefit to have around the squad and pass on his experience and tips to other players they'd have let him continue his rehab at Failand. 

32 minutes ago, eardun said:

Perhaps Brunt wanted out though. Who knows. May have been mutual which would have kept the termination payment down. He may prefer to move on and plan his future. 

Yeh he may have been reading OTIB and that made his mind up

Not a great signing in retrospect - the last word being the key one. At the time I don’t remember too many dissenting voices - great bit of nous / experience added, knows how to win promotion etc. FWIW I suspect he ended up playing more than both he and the club thought due to injuries, and it seemed it was beyond him. Anyway I wish him well.

42 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Something odd here.

Signed as much for influence off the pitch and around the dressing room and yet not kept in and around the club in any capacity?

Yeah. I'm not one for conspiracies but this definitely feels an odd decision unless there's more going on than meets the eye. Wouldn't be shocked if he accepted a coaching role somewhere within the West Brom set up within the next couple of weeks. 

10 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Thank god. Literally most pointless signing. Should have kept smith. More pissing money up the wall by ashton

I remember the posts on here saying Smith wasn’t fit enough to be offered a contract and now the same posters reckon he’s Xavi.........all with hindsight obviously.

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

Quite a lot of retrospective ordering of events going on. If Williams or Walsh had played even a bit few would be as agitated about Korey IMO 

Yep, some revisionism for sure.

Mind you had we known Smith would have 21/23 ie 90% availability ratio this season keeping him would have been a no-brainer! Far from likely it plays out that way, or would have in summer 2020?

To be fair a lot of people thought he could do a job for us of the bench when he signed giving a young side some much needed experience,

Sadly what we didn't know was his legs where totally gone, this is a good move for the club hopefully spend his wages wisely 

41 minutes ago, markcarter said:

He only made 7 league appearances for West Brom in his last season with them.

Yes but I would imagine that was due to not being picked rather than not being available. The point was that he was available and playing, occasionally, for a top championship side yet a few months after signing for city he’s had a long term injury and at 36 is unlikely to get a contract again elsewhere any time soon

It seemed to me from some of his reactions on the pitch that he himself felt he was no longer at the races.   Poorly placed passes, poor first touches, poor set pieces and generally any game he was involved in seemed to pass him by and I am sure he realised this.   Undoubtedly a top professional in his day, but a poor signing for us to say the least. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

An excellent career. Legs just weren't there unfortunately. 

Bad signing. In hindsight I don't think we needed him even with letting Korey go. Bakinson was an unexpected success. That is the Korey replacement and Brunt not needed.

Brunt did have some decent sub appearances. And was good second half against QPR. 

I thought he was brought in by Holden seen as a versatile back up. But he only looked like he'd be used in the deep lying midfield role. 

Bad injury, makes sense to let go. I don't think he played much at all last season, so maybe we should have seen that as a problem. 

Not quite enough to get into the next Legends book!

Archived