IGNORED

Brunt gone

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oddly, the last two were capable players prior to joining us. Maybe I'm overstretching the point, but they were certainly better than what they delivered here!

Perhaps we were just a shambles in the past...?

And unlikely as it seems, Dinning was a decent player for Stockport. And before anyone says - yeah, but it was only Stockport - that was when they were a (now) Championship side and we were still a division below. He then played for Wigan in a side that swept all before them (including us) when winning the Third division championship. 

So god knows what happened when he joined us. 

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And unlikely as it seems, Dinning was a decent player for Stockport. And before anyone says - yeah, but it was only Stockport - that was when they were a (now) Championship side and we were still a division below. He then played for Wigan in a side that swept all before them (including us) when winning the Third division championship. 

So god knows what happened when he joined us. 

Thinking about it, wasn't he rather good on loan here?

Then fell off a cliff when permanent.

A poor signing and another black-mark for Ashton - or more likely whichever assistant it was who recommended him, Simpson?

To be fair to us though, in terms of releasing him from contract - I expect it's as simple as he's out for the season and they've had the conversation about where/how/if he has rehabilitation to actually play again and the decision may well have been as much Brunt's as ours. I suspect he was happy to be released of any commitments to be in Bristol when I expect he doesn't live here.

30 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So god knows what happened when he joined us

To be fair, I'm 99.9% sure there were posters from other (previous) clubs that warned us that whilst he looked a world beater on loan, when his feet were under the table so to speak, he would look a totally different player - and not for the better!!

Sure that's why he's so despised when his names mentioned, everyone who saw him play on loan realised what a quality player he could be. We may as well have signed his twin brother because the loan version was so much superior to the contracted version. Did well to shift him when we did!

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

A poor signing and another black-mark for Ashton - or more likely whichever assistant it was who recommended him, Simpson?

To be fair to us though, in terms of releasing him from contract - I expect it's as simple as he's out for the season and they've had the conversation about where/how/if he has rehabilitation to actually play again and the decision may well have been as much Brunt's as ours. I suspect he was happy to be released of any commitments to be in Bristol when I expect he doesn't live here.

Downing was former WBA I believe, so likely him.

Hopefully McGregor will get stuck into this story, I am confident he will ask the questions we would if we could...to the powers that be.

if his contract was cancelled by mutual consent , got to have been a pay off somewhere..

I was really hoping he would be a asset sadly not the case..I found an article attributed to Billic on Birmingham Live dated 4th June when he explained why Brunt had been released, he had lot his power on the pitch.... that might explain a lot but please do not fob me off he ripped up his contract out of good will.  
I hope SL asks some questions about this one, not that we will hear.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thinking about it, wasn't he rather good on loan here?

Then fell off a cliff when permanent.

I’m embarrassed to admit I thought he looked really good on loan. I thought he was going to become an excellent player for us. God knows what happened to him once he’d signed permanently. 

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Not quite enough to get into the next Legends book!

We could publish a woefully depressing Christmas book with such signings as: Gus Caesar, Ray Atteveld and Ian Baird... 

The cover could be a black and white picture of Baird doing the v sign to City fans, like Kes.. 

7 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Hopefully McGregor will get stuck into this story, I am confident he will ask the questions we would if we could...to the powers that be.

if his contract was cancelled by mutual consent , got to have been a pay off somewhere..

I was really hoping he would be a asset sadly not the case..I found an article attributed to Billic on Birmingham Live dated 4th June when he explained why Brunt had been released, he had lot his power on the pitch.... that might explain a lot but please do not fob me off he ripped up his contract out of good will.  
I hope SL asks some questions about this one, not that we will hear.

I’d be shocked if there was no payout.. call me cynical but there is no chance in hell that a professional player in this day and age just rips a contract up..

8 hours ago, Offside said:

I’m embarrassed to admit I thought he looked really good on loan. I thought he was going to become an excellent player for us. God knows what happened to him once he’d signed permanently. 

Dinning's turnaround from World Beater to Panel Beater is why his name (hell, just his surname actually) has become shorthand on here for anyone who's world class on loan and utter dogshite once signed on a permanent. And rightly so. It really was quite miraculous! 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

I’d be shocked if there was no payout.. call me cynical but there is no chance in hell that a professional player in this day and age just rips a contract up..

Surely he must have accepted less than he was entitled to, otherwise the contract may as well have run down?

Perhaps in these circs, if you want the money as a lump sum upfront you accept X%.

Just now, Leveller said:

Surely he must have accepted less than he was entitled to, otherwise the contract may as well have run down?

Perhaps in these circs, if you want the money as a lump sum upfront you accept X%.

That would be my guess and leaves him pursue a future career in football from TODAY if he can get one. Of course there will be a payout of some kind - why would anyone leave for free?

Before any smartarse says "If I played that badly I would do the decent thing and leave voluntarily" just remember:

a) you totally wouldn't - if you were playing crap for, say, West Brom you would 100% still take the money if you were honest with yourself

b) these lads in 99% of cases have no affinity and/or loyalty whatsoever to the club other than the same affinity/loyalty we all have to our current Employer - which is pretty much in the majority of cases that if the firm down the road offers 50% more cash and equal or better working conditions/future prospects we are gone......no loyalty at all and why should there be?

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Dinning's turnaround from World Beater to Panel Beater is why his name (hell, just his surname actually) has become shorthand on here for anyone who's world class on loan and utter dogshite once signed on a permanent. And rightly so. It really was quite miraculous! 

The worst case scenario is when a player starts "doing a Dinning" after the club has "paid a Tilson" for them..........

Archived