IGNORED

Previous Bristol City flops, where are they now?

DanCarter25

43 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

I know djuric was injured a lot of the time but if he was fully fit I would’ve liked to of kept him. Was a handful upfront 

We'll never know, our coach decided with Fam suspended he wasn't worth a start, no wonder he left.

I liked him, a genuine target man who worked hard and knocked people over to get the ball. Limited maybe, but effective.

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

We'll never know, our coach decided with Fam suspended he wasn't worth a start, no wonder he left.

I liked him, a genuine target man who worked hard and knocked people over to get the ball. Limited maybe, but effective.

Certainly gave Sol Bamba a really tough afternoon v Cardiff.

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Quite right - always thought Djuric was more committed to Bristol City than our club was to him - yet LJ loved him when it suited him - eg when he put him on as a late sub in a predictably dull home game - against the Millers was it? Anyway the big man duly notched a late winner and LJ turned round and yelled ‘f@king have that’ towards fans who had been giving the team a bit of stick for yet another dismal home performance - that’s the sort of thing I’d expect from Darrell Clarke - but not a Bristol City manager - no class 

Djuric was a real shame. Dont think i can remember someone so dominant in the air. 
I do remember a classic substitution by LJ in one game though. Struggling at home, he puts Djuric on to receive quality ball into the box to get us back in the game. Only problem was he came on for probably the only man who could provide them - Eliasson!
LJ did baffle me sometimes, and i just dont think he helped himself in these kind of scenarios too. 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Quite right - always thought Djuric was more committed to Bristol City than our club was to him - yet LJ loved him when it suited him - eg when he put him on as a late sub in a predictably dull home game - against the Millers was it? Anyway the big man duly notched a late winner and LJ turned round and yelled ‘f@king have that’ towards fans who had been giving the team a bit of stick for yet another dismal home performance - that’s the sort of thing I’d expect from Darrell Clarke - but not a Bristol City manager - no class 

If I remember correctly, City fans had sung “You don’t know what you’re doing” in response to a triple substitution involving Abraham.

Turns out we were right.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

8 hours ago, David Brent said:

If I remember correctly, City fans had sung “You don’t know what you’re doing” in response to a triple substitution involving Abraham.

Turns out we were right.

You do remember creckly, DB.

This was against the shittest team the second tier of English football has seen since 1945. Fact! It's official!

At the end of that season, LJ and SL went on the offensive against those that made "a lot of noise" with a self-promoting/justifying interview given to the Guardian in which Johnson talked of the requirement on his part for "big balls in the dugout" and in particular his having been "brave" when making that substitution at home to Rotherham. 

That is, against the statistically weakest team at this level in 70 seasons Rotherham United of 2016/17, just to be clear.

And why does a coach end up making a triple substitution, Lee? Because things are going swimmingly?

No doubt it did, having got him, and us, in a stew, require some courage, to bring off Tammy, I don’t dispute that. What is missing is the rest of the story of that day.

Rotherham rocked up that day:

- bottom of the table

- played 15 away games, amassing one draw and one point in those 15 games.

- they had conceded 42 goals in 15 games on the road. They were getting hammered everywhere.

- Rotherham managed 2 draws and two points on the road in 23 outings that season, conceding 64 goals. Sometimes there are easy games, or at least much easier games.

- Rotherham lost 33 of their 46 games that season amassing the fewest points (allowing for 2/3 points for a win etc) of any club to contest the second division in England, since when? Since the Second World War! !!!!!!! 

And we were struggling dismally to break them down, the worst team this division has seen since Victory in Europe Day and blokes smoking woodbines in the East End.

There is also the fact that we will never know what Tammy might've done in the last quarter of the game, who is to say that he or someone else would not have sneaked a winner? Or even two.

It's the "big balls" one-eyed delusion and self-promotion that sticks in the craw, though, and the lack of context. Johnson did not know what he was doing that season, he was getting it wrong every week, until six games from the end when he finally realised he could not in fact manage Tomlin and stopped playing him, turning to Matty Taylor instead. Whereupon we had a team with eleven blokes pulling together (which is not a very sexy, new-fangled 21st century high-falutin' coaching thing you need to go to Barcelona or the SAS to learn. And any old coach would've turnt to long before Johnson did).

We were a shambles, and Johnson was shite, that season. Shite, with big brave balls.

Not that I'm obsessed or anything about this ......

@BS4 on Tour... 

Tbh the old "Don't know what you're doing" and significant booing off the back of triple sub.

A good backup option to have, Djuric. If fit.

Sure he scoreda rather skilfully taken one v Crystal Palace in the Cup, seem to recall he had his uses at Sunderland in the same period.

Back in the Cup semi final at Man City, had he and O'Dowda been fit I did wonder if to relieve some pressure that might have been a useful double sub.

Someone who could make the ball stick, with some crossing just to get us that bit further up the pitch.

Or building on that, Elissson, O'Dowda, Djuric. Still 4 in defence, 3 CM but counterattack wide men, crossing, Djuric just to buy some time, gain a few yards to relieve a bit of pressure.

Archived