IGNORED

Hakeeb Adelakun

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Adelakun is one of about 30 players that  Ashton should be made to justify the signing of. And if he cant, fire him immediately.

Made me laugh ??

I have this vision ......

Ashton is called to Lansdown Manions in Guernsey

The camera shows him blindfolded and in pain

SL ‘ And why did you let him buy Smodzics and Palmer Mark’

MA ‘He said he was going to convert them into wing backs , sorry Steve’

SL ‘’ Wing backs ? .... wing backs ?....  Jon give him a few more blows with that cricket stump’

0A6A8980-B441-41D2-9504-9F789C4E13F4.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Made me laugh ??

SL ‘’ Wing backs ? .... wing backs ?....  Jon give him a few more blows with that cricket stump’

I was thinking more of Daniel Craig being tied to that chair without the bottom in Quantum Of Solace

18 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Adelakun is one of about 30 players that  Ashton should be made to justify the signing of. And if he cant, fire him immediately.

To be honest, I think he's quite an easy one to justify. Promising highly-rated winger that was out of contract and thus likely available at a reduced price. It is unfortunate he got the injury he did so early and he never pushed on but, whilst there are certainly signings over recent years that were odd moves even at the time and clear errors in hindsight, I honestly think Adelakun was a pragmatic gamble that didn't come off. Those will happen at any club. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, I think he's quite an easy one to justify. Promising highly-rated winger that was out of contract and thus likely available at a reduced price. It is unfortunate he got the injury he did so early and he never pushed on but, whilst there are certainly signings over recent years that were odd moves even at the time and clear errors in hindsight, I honestly think Adelakun was a pragmatic gamble that didn't come off. Those will happen at any club. 

6D28B35E-B750-4845-8275-9407B34AD3CD.jpeg

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yes that's right.

Over the last few decades we've purchased promising players from lower league clubs and generally one in three of them come good and the others are moved on.

I don't see signing him as a mistake; it was the kind of calculated gamble you need too make because you will otherwise be paying £5m for the proven article every time and we can't afford to do that.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Apparently we wanted Potts who went to Preston instead. So seems like we were after a tall powerful winger. Adelakun I guess they saw as the next best option.

I remember people saying how well he played in that one home game, was it against Rotherham?

I remember thinking he looked okay but didn't do much. But looked capable of doing something. Maybe he will come back a better player. I do like a pacey, powerful wide man.

I remember he hit a shot that was blocked in that game that he got real power into. Clips of youtube shows he can hit a ball.

So my understanding of him is he's tall, got pace, power, has a trick on him and has a powerful shot. 

So surely he could potentially be good enough if those are his attributes. work rate, movement and intelligence, teamwork a problem I wonder. 

That’s quite a list. I’d imagine that if all those were a problem he wouldn’t get to where he has already. Let’s give him a chance. 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Apparently we wanted Potts who went to Preston instead. So seems like we were after a tall powerful winger. Adelakun I guess they saw as the next best option.

and Marley Watkins

I remember people saying how well he played in that one home game, was it against Rotherham?

as above, I thought he looked bright, wouldn’t say “how well he played” though, but he didn’t look out of place.

I remember thinking he looked okay but didn't do much. But looked capable of doing something. Maybe he will come back a better player. I do like a pacey, powerful wide man.

“Okay” is okay really ? especially for someone playing their formative minutes for us.  Shame he only got one more minute (I think).

I remember he hit a shot that was blocked in that game that he got real power into. Clips of youtube shows he can hit a ball.

So my understanding of him is he's tall, got pace, power, has a trick on him and has a powerful shot. 

So surely he could potentially be good enough if those are his attributes. Is work rate, movement and intelligence, teamwork a problem I wonder.

that’s definitely what we need to find out.  The Hull / Fleetwood game I watched he was average (Lg1).

But one to reserve judgment on imho.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You know my opinion of Marley. When fully fit he is a right handful. He might still have a part to play for us this season.

Yes, wasn’t being sarcastic, purely stating that we signed Watkins, another tall, untypical winger in the same window.  I like Watkins too (when he’s been fit).

Adealkun, Watkins, O’Dowda, Eliasson, Paterson, Weimann, J.Smith....that’s a lot of wide players ?

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Made me laugh ??

“ Stwike him Thenturian, weely wuffly!” ! 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

6D28B35E-B750-4845-8275-9407B34AD3CD.jpeg

Did Bolasie ever show “form” for us? I seem to recall him getting a handful of starts, then being bench and coming on to score that one crucial goal against Cov to help save us from relegation. After that, he was sold for 200k to Palace after barely getting used. Funnily enough, he then found form playing on the opposite wing to Zaha and helped take Palace up in that same season and we went down! 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also mentions "highly-rated" and perhaps more pertinently "a host of Premier League and Championship clubs". 

Can't remember a huge amount but certainly remember Nottingham Forest were in for him. That was one.

Reading the reports at the time we best off a host premier league and other championship clubs to sign him....  wonder where they were when he went off to a Hull City ?  Another player who got injured shortly after joining us...  never impressed . Second chance then..

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Reading the reports at the time we best off a host premier league and other championship clubs to sign him....  wonder where they were when he went off to a Hull City ?  Another player who got injured shortly after joining us...  never impressed . Second chance then..

Nottingham Forest were apparently interested, but beyond that? Don't recall anyone.

10 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yes I know you weren't being sarcastic. I know you rate him. 

Yep we had a lot of them, but LJ often went with Weimann wide!

Have we got year option on Adelakun? Being quite young still at 24, if he does well then we'd probably want to use that. 

I don't know whether to expect J Smith back too

Smith on one side and Adelakun on the other would definitely give us a different shape, and the way injuries are going wouldn't surprise me if we saw it happen in the next few weeks.

Depends if they feel Smith is ready, and whether he'd benefit from coming back- which I feel he would at this moment in time even if it is from the bench.

Adelakun seems the sort that needs to have someone similar on the opposite side, or be played in a position similar to Semenyo (and hopefully be able to score!)

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

If Adelakun can be a powerful winger with tricks that can make things happen on one wing, and having Semenyo who we know is a handful on the other, then that could be very dangerous. That's only if Adelakun is that player I am hoping he can be at this level. 

J Smith certainly looks like he has pace and tricks to be a threat. End product seems to be his problem at Swindon. But then we've seen players end product can improve as they get older. Freeman for example, not the best end product at this level when with us, improved a lot when at QPR.

Never would have imagined those 2 might be getting in our team this season! Injuries have been ridiculous. I'm sure some would want us to go out and buy in a few, but maybe that's unrealistic right now. 

Also got Marley who should be back fit at some point but not that close yet I don't think. Owura Edwards too who I think might make the bench for us. Not yet seen him play other than clips. All I know is he looks ridiculously quick and likes to run at players.

Gutted for Opi getting an injury before our last game, as Holden said he would have started him. Hard to judge on the sub appearances so far, but he certainly looked confident enough when coming on and setting up Fam's goal, wanting the ball. Amazing pace too like his younger brother, but without the tricks.

We lacked wingers but having Paterson and O'Dowda out has been a big blow. Also Weimann too, though not so keen him on the wing, he does have plenty of experience there.

I just hope we don't see Wells on the wing! 

Pato, Cod and Weimann have been constantly lambasted on here; "inconsistant"" no effort" "just runs around a lot" "Cod starts again!" now it seems its a big blow not to have them playing, short memories some folk.

Problem is with the management team and with the person who thinks they will take us to the next level.......and the return`ees.... they were loaned out for a reason werent they? Deans clutching at straws imo.

43 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Pato, Cod and Weimann have been constantly lambasted on here; "inconsistant"" no effort" "just runs around a lot" "Cod starts again!" now it seems its a big blow not to have them playing, short memories some folk.

Problem is with the management team and with the person who thinks they will take us to the next level.......and the return`ees.... they were loaned out for a reason werent they? Deans clutching at straws imo.

I don’t think it’s Dean is clutching at straws, more that OTIB is.  I don’t think he’s suggesting these players are coming back to oust the current first choice players....more to be better than some of what we have on the bench who in a normal season would be playing u23 football.  If any of the returnees come good, fantastic, and would be little different to how Bakinson has emerged.

I would imagine funds are tight (not just us) and we are looking to maximise what we have at this point, plus the odd loan maybe.  If the right player(s) come onto the market at the right price, e.g. someone out of contract in the summer who a club might trade now.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think it’s Dean is clutching at straws, more that OTIB is.  I don’t think he’s suggesting these players are coming back to oust the current first choice players....more to be better than some of what we have on the bench who in a normal season would be playing u23 football.  If any of the returnees come good, fantastic, and would be little different to how Bakinson has emerged.

I would imagine funds are tight (not just us) and we are looking to maximise what we have at this point, plus the odd loan maybe.  If the right player(s) come onto the market at the right price, e.g. someone out of contract in the summer who a club might trade now.

I do wonder if we now see a loan winger come in and stick with 433 if Moore is no longer fancied. Really limits our options for three at the back as I’m not 100% convinced that Kalas and Mariappa have it in them to play as a wide centre half.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Highly unlikely that a team containing two or more of Pato, CoD, Weimann will get us in the top 6, let alone the auto places. In fact, even with one of them and we might fail (again) to get top 6. They’re not our saviours by any means. You need consistent, power players, who affect the game and forge effective partnerships with attackers in their roles.

One starts to wonder with our Club, ‘what’s the point?’ We don’t learn.

No doubt CoD will be offered another long contract soon though. 

Anyhow, always believe and all that stuff. 

Archived