IGNORED

Hakeeb Adelakun

GrahamC

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Didn't lose possession, didn't tackle anyone, didn't intercept anything, didn't pull up any trees, didn't attempt to beat anyone with trickery or pace. Put a decent cross in when in space and cut in and tried to cross once. Apart from that, the lad did absolutely nothing to suggest he had a future at this level of football.

Didn't get an assist either then?

17 minutes ago, AnumRed said:

Didn't get an assist either then?

Is that supposed to be an assist for one of our goals by passing to the player who scored? If that's the case, both our goals were down to the scorer, both had at least two touches to move the ball away from the defender and get a shot off by themselves. If, he'd crossed the ball and a player had put the ball in directly from that cross, then I'd give him an assist. Other than that you'd have to give an assist for so many people prior to them moving the ball around to get a shot on goal. Both were faced with opposition defenders in front of them when they received the ball and had to make the chance themselves.

Just watched the highlights and no assist for Adelakun. Bakinson passed to Fammy and Vyner passed to Martin.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Is that supposed to be an assist for one of our goals by passing to the player who scored? If that's the case, both our goals were down to the scorer, both had at least two touches to move the ball away from the defender and get a shot off by themselves. If, he'd crossed the ball and a player had put the ball in directly from that cross, then I'd give him an assist. Other than that you'd have to give an assist for so many people prior to them moving the ball around to get a shot on goal. Both were faced with opposition defenders in front of them when they received the ball and had to make the chance themselves..

Not sure that's how it works but if it means he did one less good thing to support your argument then go for it.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Is that supposed to be an assist for one of our goals by passing to the player who scored? If that's the case, both our goals were down to the scorer, both had at least two touches to move the ball away from the defender and get a shot off by themselves. If, he'd crossed the ball and a player had put the ball in directly from that cross, then I'd give him an assist. Other than that you'd have to give an assist for so many people prior to them moving the ball around to get a shot on goal. Both were faced with opposition defenders in front of them when they received the ball and had to make the chance themselves.

Just watched the highlights and no assist for Adelakun. Bakinson passed to Fammy and Vyner passed to Martin.

Watched the highlights or listened to the commentator?  The commentator (certain on either the live or replay) called out Bakinson.  The final pass to Diedhiou (the little cushion volley pass) was 100% Adelakun.  Bakinson played the initial ball through the lines.

2 hours ago, lenred said:

From one game? That’s amazing.  Surprised you haven’t been signed up to join MA’s crack recruitment team. 

Ok if Adelukan is featuring regularly at City next season.(And i don't mean sitting on the bench?)..........i will  dontate £50 to the charity of your choice, feel free to message me around December next year.....  Ha!!    ?   

1 hour ago, AnumRed said:

Pop to specsavers or watch again. Bakinson passed to Fammy who played a one two with Adelakun

Agreed you are correct, I missed the one two as it was so quick. Perhaps they claim and hand out assists too easily in the modern game. I thought an assist was supposed to lead directly to the goal, Like a cross or through ball. I suppose Goal keepers claim assists as well now. I don't class that as an assist in the real terms of setting up a goal scoring chance, because Fammy still had a lot to do before getting his shot off. I suppose it's down to interpretation of an assist, I don't class that as such.

My appointment for specsavers is booked. 

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ok if Adelukan is featuring regularly at City next season.(And i don't mean sitting on the bench?)..........i will  dontate £50 to the charity of your choice, feel free to message me around December next year.....  Ha!!    ?   

I’ve tried bets on here before - people generally disappear when they lose....I’m not certain if he’ll be a regular starter but I can certainly see him as a regular contributor if given the chance.  You’re not so certain he won’t feature from the bench then?  Every team needs squad Players and a strong bench. Would see that as decent progress for him by Christmas given our stated aim of being a top 6 team. 

He’s out of contract in the summer so I doubt he’ll be here but he’s got a few months to prove that he deserves a place at this level & we should back him to do well. 

Writing him off when he’s playing his first game with new players & only his 5th or 6th at this level is silly. Hope he proves a lot wrong. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s out of contract in the summer so I doubt he’ll be here but he’s got a few months to prove that he deserves a place at this level & we should back him to do well. 

Writing him off when he’s playing his first game with new players & only his 5th or 6th at this level is silly. Hope he proves a lot wrong. 

Got a year option

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Agreed you are correct, I missed the one two as it was so quick. Perhaps they claim and hand out assists too easily in the modern game. I thought an assist was supposed to lead directly to the goal, Like a cross or through ball. I suppose Goal keepers claim assists as well now. I don't class that as an assist in the real terms of setting up a goal scoring chance, because Fammy still had a lot to do before getting his shot off. I suppose it's down to interpretation of an assist, I don't class that as such.

My appointment for specsavers is booked. 

Got to do assists like that or its to ambiguous whether it should count as an assist or not. That means you can get an assist from a miss touch/pass, an accidental touch etc. Sometimes it's going to give the player an assist they don't deserve, but these things tend to even out - its the overall stat thats important. If someone is getting 10 - 20 assists a season you can bet most of the are not going to be simple touches or luck. Another way of looking at if someone gets 10-20 assists and they are all simple touches that don't look anything special then they are probably doing something else with their game thats makes this happen. 

3 hours ago, lenred said:

I’ve tried bets on here before - people generally disappear when they lose....I’m not certain if he’ll be a regular starter but I can certainly see him as a regular contributor if given the chance.  You’re not so certain he won’t feature from the bench then?  Every team needs squad Players and a strong bench. Would see that as decent progress for him by Christmas given our stated aim of being a top 6 team. 

It's alright, don't worry I will remind u when he signs for Doncaster next July ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Got a year option

Get rid. No where near good enough. Looked poor against a L1 team.

Offers nothing. Not as good as we already have. Would not even want him as a sub when a few more get fit. He can effect the game enough to be a sub. 

Another £300/400k just wasted. 

57 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Got to do assists like that or its to ambiguous whether it should count as an assist or not. That means you can get an assist from a miss touch/pass, an accidental touch etc. Sometimes it's going to give the player an assist they don't deserve, but these things tend to even out - its the overall stat thats important. If someone is getting 10 - 20 assists a season you can bet most of the are not going to be simple touches or luck. Another way of looking at if someone gets 10-20 assists and they are all simple touches that don't look anything special then they are probably doing something else with their game thats makes this happen. 

For both our goals yesterday, the scorer took three touches before shooting, fourth touch was the shot. They had to make the space with those touches to enable them to get their shot off. I know it might not be the modern way of recording things but, to me those passes were just passes and the players created the openings for themselves.

Obviously the more assists a player gets should show that they were proactive in the build up to goals and looks good on their record. A quick one two return pass where the receiving player still had a lot to do, doesn't constitute an assist in my opinion, as opposed to crossing for a header or, slipping a ball through for the scorer to run on to. But there again, I'm probably a little to demanding of a wide player (winger), who I expect to take on his man least once during a game, if not, put in a decent number of crosses. That said, I'm glad he got a touch on the ball to pass it back to Fammy and as such, I'll have to agree that in todays interpretation of the game, it was an assist. 

21 hours ago, maxjak said:

It's just like the TV show Catchphrase..........Say what you see?   I have been watching  and playing football for a longtime, and I can see nothing in Adelakun that leads  me to believe he will ever be a long term player at Bristol City, he is an average professional footballer, who at the age of 24 will make a living in the lower leagues of British football IMHO, and good luck to him.      He is not good enough to add anything long term to a City squad that needs players who can play at a higher level.   I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but he won't. ?

Well, I've been watching and playing football for a long time also.  I see a player at the same level as the vast majority of our squad which is, let's face it, a bang average championshi ide. 

Difference with him is he has not been properly exposed to the level.  He's not had any run of games and so we can't say with any certainty whether he can cope at this level.  Doesn't matter how many games you've watched and played at what level, you don't know.  To my mind Vyner is now a Championship standard player for the sole reason he has been exposed to the level this season and adapted.  He's made mistakes, but so does every single Championship player. 

To give an example, if COD was fit  for Brentford I would still want to see Adelukan play.  We know COD is a mediocre Championship player who flatters to deceive.  Let's see what Hakeeb is made of.  

45 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Well, I've been watching and playing football for a long time also.  I see a player at the same level as the vast majority of our squad which is, let's face it, a bang average championshi ide. 

Difference with him is he has not been properly exposed to the level.  He's not had any run of games and so we can't say with any certainty whether he can cope at this level.  Doesn't matter how many games you've watched and played at what level, you don't know.  To my mind Vyner is now a Championship standard player for the sole reason he has been exposed to the level this season and adapted.  He's made mistakes, but so does every single Championship player. 

To give an example, if COD was fit  for Brentford I would still want to see Adelukan play.  We know COD is a mediocre Championship player who flatters to deceive.  Let's see what Hakeeb is made of.  

Some players make the level / make the step-up when you might not expect them too, whereas others fail to make the grade.

I do think a lot is to do with understanding of the game / your role / fit to the team, and how you can compliment / add to it.  As you say far too early to tell with Adelakun.  Gut feel is he won’t be a regular first team starter, nor one who makes us better....but I see intelligence in some of the things he does to warrant a longer look.  Confidence plays a part too.  We saw improving performances from the likes of O’Dowda through getting a run of games.

Was Wes Morgan a future premier league winning CB when at Forest.  Not on your nelly.  But put him in the right team, allow him to focus on playing to his strengths and not over-complicate things then he became as important as Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, etc.

For me that’s what good recruitment is about....finding those players that nobody else wants, because in the Championship you can bet if we’ve scouted a player, most of the other clubs have.  And then you have the pecking order, which means if they’re that good, we will miss out.

The starting point for me was to see how well he could defend. He seemed to struggle to know exactly where he was supposed to be or what to do, often allowing his marker to do exactly what he wanted to do and leaving Rowe exposed too often. Not surprising it was the RB who scored for Pompey.

This is an area that COD has massively improved on. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some players make the level / make the step-up when you might not expect them too, whereas others fail to make the grade.

I do think a lot is to do with understanding of the game / your role / fit to the team, and how you can compliment / add to it.  As you say far too early to tell with Adelakun.  Gut feel is he won’t be a regular first team starter, nor one who makes us better....but I see intelligence in some of the things he does to warrant a longer look.  Confidence plays a part too.  We saw improving performances from the likes of O’Dowda through getting a run of games.

Was Wes Morgan a future premier league winning CB when at Forest.  Not on your nelly.  But put him in the right team, allow him to focus on playing to his strengths and not over-complicate things then he became as important as Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, etc.

For me that’s what good recruitment is about....finding those players that nobody else wants, because in the Championship you can bet if we’ve scouted a player, most of the other clubs have.  And then you have the pecking order, which means if they’re that good, we will miss out.

I think we're in a slightly weird position.  It's a bit like having too much food in and deciding to use what's in the freezer and cupboard before shopping again.

People haven't yet grasped the financial implications.  When 'normality' returns it won't be the same.  People will not be paying £600,000 for a promising winger from Scunthorpe.  That's because the EPL won't then be paying £8 million for the same player 2/3 years later.  Financially the game will contract and you will see more and more players in the position that Korey Smith, Chris Martin etc were in.  Except the wages will come down markedly as there is less money.  

If we extend Adelukan's contract it will be because we realise it will cost  more and we won't be sure that a replacement would be much better.  If he is clearly not up to it then it would then make sense to find another option.

2 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

The starting point for me was to see how well he could defend. He seemed to struggle to know exactly where he was supposed to be or what to do, often allowing his marker to do exactly what he wanted to do and leaving Rowe exposed too often. Not surprising it was the RB who scored for Pompey.

Taken COD 4 seasons though.  Adelukan has played less than 10 games

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

I think we're in a slightly weird position.  It's a bit like having too much food in and deciding to use what's in the freezer and cupboard before shopping again.

People haven't yet grasped the financial implications.  When 'normality' returns it won't be the same.  People will not be paying £600,000 for a promising winger from Scunthorpe.  That's because the EPL won't then be paying £8 million for the same player 2/3 years later.  Financially the game will contract and you will see more and more players in the position that Korey Smith, Chris Martin etc were in.  Except the wages will come down markedly as there is less money.  

If we extend Adelukan's contract it will be because we realise it will cost  more and we won't be sure that a replacement would be much better.  If he is clearly not up to it then it would then make sense to find another option.

Agree.

1 minute ago, DingleRed said:

Looking back at their goal, I don’t think Adelakun did a lot wrong all of the way though the build up.  If I was to criticise him it would be for turning his back.  Need to ask genuine questions why the other 7 players failed to deal with 3 players?  Easy to blame Adelakun just because “his man” scored.  Worth watching it back, he makes sensible positional runs imho.

Not saying his defensive work was perfect in other situations, but in the main I thought he showed decent awareness of of his responsibilities.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Looking back at their goal, I don’t think Adelakun did a lot wrong all of the way though the build up.  If I was to criticise him it would be for turning his back.  Need to ask genuine questions why the other 7 players failed to deal with 3 players?  Easy to blame Adelakun just because “his man” scored.  Worth watching it back, he makes sensible positional runs imho.

Not saying his defensive work was perfect in other situations, but in the main I thought he showed decent awareness of of his responsibilities.

Agree to a point but just thought he was watching what was going on in and around him rather than having any material impact. 

51 minutes ago, The Bard said:

This point is lost on so many on this thread it seems. And COD cost 3x as much. 

56 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

Agree to a point but just thought he was watching what was going on in and around him rather than having any material impact. 

You want to watch their goal again and see what the experienced Mariappa does/doesn't do. Gave up, stopped running, then realised the ball was going to a free man and the area of goal he could and should have protected was left as a gaping hole.

1 hour ago, DingleRed said:

Adelakun actually makes several checks around him, you see his head turn.  Then as gets closer to our box he twists his body position so he can see ball and Johnson.  He’s done little wrong imho up to the point of the cross, which was (I’m confident) not trying to pick out the eventual goal scorer.

19 hours ago, lenred said:

If you’re that desparate for one of our own to fail then you crack on - whatever floats your boat. 

That's just plain silly.......of course i don't want him to fail?........And the only things I am desperate for are  the end of the Pandemic, us getting into the Premiership, and a New series of "Have I Got News for You".  It really doesn't sail my aquatic vessel....to almost certainly see Adelakun go the same way as Sammy Szodomics and Mo Eisa, but that's what I predict, and it makes me unhappy ?? that our recruitment team is so poor?    

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

That's just plain silly.......of course i don't want him to fail?........And the only things I am desperate for are  the end of the Pandemic, us getting into the Premiership, and a New series of "Have I Got News for You".  It really doesn't sail my aquatic vessel....to almost certainly see Adelakun go the same way as Sammy Szodomics and Mo Eisa, but that's what I predict, and it makes me unhappy ?? that our recruitment team is so poor?    

Agree about everything. Also add in Massengo will end up leaving on a free and it’s perfect.

Adelakun won’t be even be on the bench in a cupped of weeks after another 2 or 3 come back. My guess is Scunthorpe, Northampton or some other L1 bang average club.

Archived