IGNORED

The Galleries

Mr X

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Looks as if there's plans afoot to improve the Galleries. It's like stepping back to 1998 everytime I (albeit rarely) go in there. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bristol-shopping-centre-galleries-transformed-4855528

It turned into Broadwalk years ago - definitely needs repurpousing

Although as the only shopping mall I know of named after a former City player it's always been quite special. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Looks as if there's plans afoot to improve the Galleries. It's like stepping back to 1998 everytime I (albeit rarely) go in there. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bristol-shopping-centre-galleries-transformed-4855528

It was out of date by the time it was built.  However I do remember it wasn't that bad to begin with but once the Mall opened and then Cabot it was toast.  Maybe its time all of the surrounding area became mixed use/residential because I can't see the high street ever being what it was so we've got vast swathes of shops/buildings ready for repurpose and a requirement to build more houses...

1 hour ago, TomF said:

It was out of date by the time it was built.  However I do remember it wasn't that bad to begin with

I remember going for a "special visit" before it opened to the public as I worked for Norwich Union who had presumably part-funded/co-owned it. Remember thinking it was pretty decent - the top floor Food Court where Poundland is now was quite the thing! They had a Spud-u-like and everything! 

17 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember going for a "special visit" before it opened to the public as I worked for Norwich Union who had presumably part-funded/co-owned it. Remember thinking it was pretty decent - the top floor Food Court where Poundland is now was quite the thing! They had a Spud-u-like and everything! 

I think I went on a Thursday night.  Waterstones, Boots, WH Smiths and maybe Virgin were open. Not much else. 

Shame in a way because I like the design inside, its not horrid. It's just now its filled with shops akin to that 'In Shops' gaff we used to have on East Street in the old Tesco. 

It's really quite something how quickly these things can become outdated isn't it? It's not even 30 years old and yet it blends in more with the architecture of the 40 years preceding it rather than the 20 years following it. The plot of land itself has had quite the history of relatively noteworthy buildings, I'll be interested to see what they end up doing with it.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It's really quite something how quickly these things can become outdated isn't it? It's not even 30 years old and yet it blends in more with the architecture of the 40 years preceding it rather than the 20 years following it. The plot of land itself has had quite the history of relatively noteworthy buildings, I'll be interested to see what they end up doing with it.

Mind you lets not forget what was there before..  

48038827166_49e3c8c149_k.jpg

48038825651_3342ed5458_k.jpg

17 minutes ago, TomF said:

(if you want to lose hours this afternoon then this photostream will do just that)

Winterstoke Rd Old Morris Oxford

Blimey. My great-uncle Joe leaning on his garden wall in one of those.

Only last week, I digitalised a tape of him saying "up da City!" in his old-school, ultra Bristolian accent.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I remember Fairfax House in the late 1970s. That was one weird shop, I seem to remember it being very long and narrow. Is my memory playing tricks?

I love seeing pictures of old Bristol from the 60s 70s 80s or even 90s now.

No, that's how I recall it also.

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I remember Fairfax House in the late 1970s. That was one weird shop, I seem to remember it being very long and narrow. Is my memory playing tricks?

Trying to rack my brain for the name of the shop over the road that sold Hornby trainsets etc amongst other things.

379fe5d19a5a00a5ea4facb1ca92c763.jpg.cf.jpg

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Bloody confusing shop that one. You would enter at street level and not change levels whilst inside then exit from floor 6 or something! 

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Trying to rack my brain for the name of the shop over the road that sold Hornby trainsets etc amongst other things.

379fe5d19a5a00a5ea4facb1ca92c763.jpg.cf.jpg

Was it Beatties or something like that? Brentford Nylons was another that terrified me, being dragged in there by my Mother who loved the place, as did all Mums ?

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Was it Beatties or something like that? Brentford Nylons was another that terrified me, being dragged in there by my Mother who loved the place, as did all Mums ?

That doesn't ring any bells but could be very wrong 

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Looking again on Google you may be quite correct.

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

You had Beaties which was down towards the end of the horsefair if my memory serves me correctly.  Still got Antics on Fairfax Street. 

Wasn't there one called Hobbies as well or was that later on ?

I just remember Woolworths being a wonderful shop, before it got a make over and became the short lived 21st Century (?). God I feel old! It did revert back to Woolworths but was never quite the same. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Bloody confusing shop that one. You would enter at street level and not change levels whilst inside then exit from floor 6 or something! 

Used to go in on the bus to play on paternosters in Fairfax House. There were two as I recall, effectively open lifts on a continuous loop. You had to get on and off as they moved.

They were next to each other so great games of chase were enjoyed getting on and off on the various floors.

Until, inevitably, we would get chucked out of the store! ?

Happy days ?

1 hour ago, James54De said:

whats happened to the plans to extend Cabot Circus into broadmead? Dead and buried?

Think it was titled Callowhill Court but I expect much like the planned expansion of the mall at Cribbs neither will happen. High street shopping is dead on its arse.  Better off converting the area into mixed use residential. Breathe some life back into the area 

Archived