IGNORED

Experiment!

Top Robin

I usually worry about experimenting with the team mid season whether a league  or cup game. However, with the team performing as it is and with Dean running out of ideas, this Sundays cup game must be the time to really do some radical experimenting and perhaps uncover a strategy or new player which may turn our season round again. 

What I'm trying to say is 'play the youngsters!' or at least some of them....you never know...may unearth a gem.

Plus maybe try existing players in new positions where they may perform better.

Just a thought

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I usually worry about experimenting with the team mid season whether a league  or cup game. However, with the team performing as it is and with Dean running out of ideas, this Sundays cup game must be the time to really do some radical experimenting and perhaps uncover a strategy or new player which may turn our season round again. 

What I'm trying to say is 'play the youngsters!' or at least some of them....you never know...may unearth a gem.

Just a thought

He certainly needs to give any returning loanees a run out, so Pring and Adelakun surely have to be involved.  I doubt a cup run is something we particularly need this season, so I don’t expect us to be busting a gut to beat Pompey.

Irrelevant game for me. Depends who's fit but;

Chuck out O'Leary, Hunt, Moore, Towler, Pring, Edwards, Bakinson, Massengo, Adelakun, Palmer, Bell.

Literally couldn't care less if we lose - win is a bonus and a chance to play these lot again - either way we can see how they go.

I think it’s a certainty that players like Pring and Adelakun will be given a game to see how they play, as there is nothing to lose. There is not much hope of a good cup run and, even if City won and drew a big team in the next round, there wouldn’t be the usual financial gain. It’s best to give a few first team players a rest and then concentrate on the league 

Edit - just saw the above so scrub Pring (not literally)

O'Leary

Opi.Edwards Moore      Towler     Harper*

Smith    Massengo   Bakinson

Adelakun       Bell      Ow Edwards 

* Rowe needs a break imo

Also have Pearson on the bench and give him some game time as well, I'd say reward the u23's lads who've been around the squad by giving them all some good game time

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary

* Rowe needs a break imo

Also have Pearson on the bench and give him some game time as well, I'd say reward the u23's lads who've been around the squad by giving them all some good game time

Like the look of that

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary

* Rowe needs a break imo

Two brothers in the side - if it happens, would it be the first time since the Kellys?

I`m sure I`ve missed someone obvious though and will get roundly ridiculed!

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I look at it another way, the extra games give players coming back, time to get match fit. A win and another game could actually be handy.
Can't play friendlies and even the U23 have been in a different bubble.

Or its another game we could pick up more injuries in..

I agree. In our situation, we should give a go to some youngsters/reserves, like we did at Watford in 2018.

I'd give some rest to Bentley, Kalas, Vyner, Hunt, Nagy, Wells and Martin.

O'Leary; Mariappa, Moore, Towler, Rowe; Massengo, Bakinson, Morton*; Adelakun, Diédhiou, Bell/Ow.Edwards

*if not cup-tied

4 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

I agree. In our situation, we should give a go to some youngsters/reserves, like we did at Watford in 2018.

I'd give some rest to Bentley, Kalas, Vyner, Hunt, Nagy, Wells and Martin.

O'Leary; Mariappa, Moore, Towler, Rowe; Massengo, Bakinson, Morton*; Adelakun, Diédhiou, Bell/Ow.Edwards

*if not cup-tied

Morton is cup tied, played round 1

52 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Just a thought

You mean like their actual positions?  Nakhi will be pleased!

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Two brothers in the side - if it happens, would it be the first time since the Kellys?

I`m sure I`ve missed someone obvious though and will get roundly ridiculed!

I know his game time was limited, but did Marv ever play alongside Aaron?

25 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary

* Rowe needs a break imo

I don’t think there’s any chance of Bakinson playing, given number of games he’s played already and how many he will still have to with numbers as they are.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure if Opi is fit. Hamstring I think?

Holden said he was going to start the last game. He must be gutted, his big chance and he gets injured.

Yeah obviously comes down to how severe the injury is, if he's fit then play him if not Mariappa 

17 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Or its another game we could pick up more injuries in..

The choices are;

Play the game and run the risk of injuries in the normal way.

Play the game where players have had no match football for 6 months and, according to many run a higher risk of soft muscle injuries. In a normal season it would be rare to drop a player returning from long injuries straight in. You would have U23 or friendly games, we can't even do inter match games.

We can't over protect players just in case. We need to get players back and match fit. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not suggesting it’s the be-all and end-all, but there’s a potential financial benefit to getting through that’s shouldn’t be dismissed.

As it stands we have no midweek game after Sunday, we play Preston the following Saturday.

Depends how short notice they can reorganise the Brentford game

Why rest players when they just had a rest and have no following mid-week game? Makes no sense to me. Play the strongest team possible and let’s try and bring some success to the club. 

FWIW starting youngsters with zero league experience, not even from the bench, is not a great plan IMO. I’d even consider it irresponsible as would put them right in the firing line when they’re not ready.

By all means bed players in off the bench like we’ve seen from Bell over recent weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Why rest players when they just had a rest and have no following mid-week game? Makes no sense to me. Play the strongest team possible and let’s try and bring some success to the club. 

FWIW starting youngsters with zero league experience, not even from the bench, is not a great plan IMO. I’d even consider it irresponsible as would put them right in the firing line when they’re not ready.

By all means bed players in off the bench like we’ve seen from Bell over recent weeks. 

I’d also suggest the last thing Holden needs at the mo’ is a cup defeat to a lower league side...irrespective of the team he selects.  Hence I’d go relatively strong without risking anyone like Hunt (who’s trying to heal a gash).

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary

* Rowe needs a break imo

Is Harper in the first team bubble? Agree he'd be a strong pick in the absence of cup-tied Pring and knackered Rowe but is he being kept with the youth for now? I may well have missed an announcement somewhere.

Other than that I guess it really should be something like you suggest. Who knows how many of the first team squad are still standing after injuries and covid tests.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d also suggest the last thing Holden needs at the mo’ is a cup defeat to a lower league side...irrespective of the team he selects.  Hence I’d go relatively strong without risking anyone like Hunt (who’s trying to heal a gash).

Would a loss to Pompey really do that much damage to Holden? He'd have some very easy (and frankly reasonable) excuses. I'd suggest that were we to lose 1-0 or 2-1 he'd be able to stave off most of the resulting heat...5-0 though, that would be a different story.

Archived