IGNORED

Experiment!

Top Robin

My concern with players coming back is that we get even more confusion about our style and formation.

532 has been abandoned, then come back as has 433 and we’ve seen 442. 

now we have the likes of Adelukun (winger) and likely Palmer (no one seems to have discovered his best role) back...

I reckon it could just lead to even more tombola selection just when I’d like to see Dean get back to his convictions of 532, front-foot football.  

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is Harper in the first team bubble? Agree he'd be a strong pick in the absence of cup-tied Pring and knackered Rowe but is he being kept with the youth for now? I may well have missed an announcement somewhere.

Why would Rowe be knackered after a 10 day break? 

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is Harper in the first team bubble? Agree he'd be a strong pick in the absence of cup-tied Pring and knackered Rowe but is he being kept with the youth for now? I may well have missed an announcement somewhere.

Other than that I guess it really should be something like you suggest. Who knows how many of the first team squad are still standing after injuries and covid tests.

Would a loss to Pompey really do that much damage to Holden? He'd have some very easy (and frankly reasonable) excuses. I'd suggest that were we to lose 1-0 or 2-1 he'd be able to stave off most of the resulting heat...5-0 though, that would be a different story.

Harper was last seen with the u23's however I think Pearson appeared on a 1st team bench and then played for the u23's at relatively short notice so could have easily had time to be called up to 1st team squad since the last 23's game.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Irrelevant game for me. Depends who's fit but;

Chuck out O'Leary, Hunt, Moore, Towler, Pring, Edwards, Bakinson, Massengo, Adelakun, Palmer, Bell.

Literally couldn't care less if we lose - win is a bonus and a chance to play these lot again - either way we can see how they go.

I completely get that for us fans the game is meaningless, however...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not suggesting it’s the be-all and end-all, but there’s a potential financial benefit to getting through that’s shouldn’t be dismissed.

As it stands we have no midweek game after Sunday, we play Preston the following Saturday.

I think this is actually a pretty big game for Holden. City are bang out of fitness, form and confidence, and the last thing we need is to lose to a lesser side.

Then, as Dave says above, Lansdown will want a cup run to bring some prize money in. 

I'd gladly watch an experimental line up, but I could understand the coaching team being very nervous about that!

I always think style and formation is a factor of what you have available. 

We have injuries thus a manager’s  chosen formation goes out of the window in line with what we have. Who knows who or how we will it play on Sunday or if we even will, but giving some of the kids a deserved run is appropriate!

I may be wrong, just have a feeling Holden will play near to, if not, his strongest team. 

We need a win for confidence, the club would like a cup run, his competitive nature won’t want to lose, a few players could do with a goal.

We’ll see, but can’t see what might be the sensible thing happening, take the hit, field the youngsters and give the first team that bit longer to recover and hit the league in 2021 harder. Short term vs. Long term. 

Will be interesting to see what he does.

Here’s my crappy attempt at a team:

O’Leary

Mariappa | Moore | Towler

Vyner |.......................................| Rowe

Nagy | Bakinson | Palmer

Bell | Diedhiou 

Rest: Bentley, Kalas and Hunt, Wells, Martin and Semenyo

Bench: Wollacott, Kalas, Hunt, Adelakun, Wells, Martin, Semenyo, Massengo,, S.Pearson

Not very adventurous admittedly, but gives Bell and Towler a reward.

I think Owura Edwards might go out on loan elsewhere, so not picked due to 2 club rule.  Rowe kept at LWB to give an experienced head on the outside of Towler.  Diedhiou alongside Bell to do the physical work.

I can see where people are coming from.

Call me old fashioned ,but the 3rd round of the cup always used to be one of my favourite and most exciting games of the year ,especially if we got a good draw.

I do prefer the days when everyone used to take it seriously and play their strongest teams.

4-3-3 for me...

O’Leary

Mariappa | Moore | Towler | Rowe

Nagy | Massengo | Palmer

Bell | Wells | Adelakun

I'd personally like to rest Nagy, though his fitness levels do seem pretty awesome. Wells need to find form somehow, so I'd play him through the middle, particularly if Fam is carrying an injury.

21 minutes ago, Dunc said:

4-3-3 for me...

O’Leary

Nagy | Massengo | Palmer

Bell | Wells | Adelakun

I'd personally like to rest Nagy, though his fitness levels do seem pretty awesome. Wells need to find form somehow, so I'd play him through the middle, particularly if Fam is carrying an injury.

I like that....forgot Fam is nursing his groin.

47 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

I can see where people are coming from.

Call me old fashioned ,but the 3rd round of the cup always used to be one of my favourite and most exciting games of the year ,especially if we got a good draw.

I do prefer the days when everyone used to take it seriously and play their strongest teams.

I'll call you old fashioned !! but I totally agree, greatest club cup competition in the world, we should be fielding our strongest team although I have a horrible feeling that our strongest side will get beat in this one.

If we had played Brentford I think the side could have been more experimental.  With a 12 day gap then a 6 day gap to follow, one suspects the side will look close to what it has been with 1 or 2 tweaks.  The season is now probably 2 games behind where it would normally be and the better sides will probably now have settled sides having rotated more than usual up to now.  

I would hope Palmer and Adelukan get gametime on Saturday.  Maybe one starting and the other coming off the bench. 

If Hunt is struggling maybe this is the ideal first start for Opi Edwards at RB?  Rowe is an inevitable choice at LB but I hope Pring gets used in a similar way that he was used by Portsmouth where he seemed to share the left back role with a more established player. 

The ideal outcome would be that he slowly works himself into first choice so that he becomes an established 1st teamer.  We need to avoid errors made in the past with the likes of Vyner when we allowed highly paid more experienced players to block our homegrown talent's path to the first team.  

Adelukan seems to want out of City which is hardly surprising. We could do a lot worse than just chucking him straight in the side without filling his head with too much tactical instruction. Just go and show what you can do.  

Palmer is the most interesting one.  I no longer think he's a 10 - he doesn't have the immediate awareness of space which is why he gets caught in possession so much.  The suggestion that he starts wide left in a forward 3 and drifts off the line into space makes a lot of sense. He should have a clearer idea of the picture from there and his undoubted ability to see and execute a through ball could come to the fore.   

My team would be

O'Leary

Opi E   Vyner   Kalas       Rowe

Bakinson

Nagy         Massengo

Semenyo                        Palmer

Wells

10 hours ago, Dunc said:

4-3-3 for me...

O’Leary

Nagy | Massengo | Palmer

Bell | Wells | Adelakun

I like this a lot although I’d play Adelakun on the right of a midfield 4 with Palmer on the left, but swap them around during the game. I read somewhere on here that Chelsea used to play Palmer on the left. Not sure if that was in a 433 though. So you could be spot on. Agree on Nagy as well but I’m not sure who else available could play the holding role. Maybe give him and Bakinson 45 mins each. I would also have Fam instead of Bell but I didn’t know he was carrying an injury. We lack height up top with Bell and Wells would be my only concern. Also rest Rowe if possible.

I happen to think Palmer and Wells could be very dangerous together (in a good way) and would need game time to form a partnership. Wells also needs a goal as I think he’s lacking confidence in front of goal. 

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

O'Leary

Opi E   Vyner   Kalas       Rowe

Bakinson

Nagy         Massengo

Semenyo                        Palmer

Wells

I have been thinking the same thing, that we need to go 1 up front to try and secure midfield and win more possession. Wells would be the most natural to play that, so my team to play at the moment would be this but with Bents in goal and maybe Hunt for Opi, although I quite like him and a close call. 

18 hours ago, Lrrr said:

O'Leary

Opi.Edwards Moore      Towler     Harper*

Smith    Massengo   Bakinson

Adelakun       Bell      Ow Edwards 

* Rowe needs a break imo

Also have Pearson on the bench and give him some game time as well, I'd say reward the u23's lads who've been around the squad by giving them all some good game time

Average age of that team is about 6

44 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I have been thinking the same thing, that we need to go 1 up front to try and secure midfield and win more possession. Wells would be the most natural to play that, so my team to play at the moment would be this but with Bents in goal and maybe Hunt for Opi, although I quite like him and a close call. 

Didn't we play some of our best football a couple of years ago when we only had one up front ? I think that was the cup run season.

Archived