IGNORED

RIP - Colin Bell

Sheltons Army

I remember seeing him playing for Bury against City at AG in the 2nd Division in early 1966, it was just before he left for Manchester City.  I remember it distinctly as the crowd were buzzing about the chance to see Colin Bell, and the fact that he was almost certain to sign for Man City. As a footnote City won 2-1 (had to look that fact up as I remember seeing Colin Bell more than the match itself!).

He was a great player for Man City and England, full of energy.  RIP.

Superb player.  I was a student in Manchester in 78/79, living in a house a stone's throw from Maine Rd. Would often see Colin Bell pounding the streets as he tried to get fit again after a long injury. He was never the same player sadly. He was worshipped by Man City fans. They'd say 'if I came home and found my missus in bed with Colin Bell, I'd make him a cup of tea'. 

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

An apt nickname back in the day, being compared to one of the greatest racehorses of all time was about right.

A few of our players could be nicknamed Shergar, as they go missing without trace or explanation.

Yet another fantastic player, who did it in an era when he was playing on atrocious pitches and when they had no protection from referees and tackles were tackles.

How good would someone like him be in today’s game?

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember the new programme “Nationwide” running a series about Man City and that was the first I’d heard of Bell....must’ve been 7 or 8.  My dad always says Gerrard was the most similar to him.

Yes I remember that programme! Paul Power was the young up and coming Man City star at the time, as I recall.

Don't think they had yet signed the Messianic Gerry Gow at that point, otherwise it would have been a different proposition altogether. 

18 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yes I remember that programme! Paul Power was the young up and coming Man City star at the time, as I recall.

Don't think they had yet signed the Messianic Gerry Gow at that point, otherwise it would have been a different proposition altogether. 

Good shout, yes, Paul Power.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Like Bryan Robson, Colin Bell was a Durham born lad that never played for Sunderland or Newcastle. You could probably compile a great X1 of North East born players that were lured away down south to play. Bobby Charlton another, of course.  Decent midfield that.

Think he had a really bad injury in the 70s. 

Against Manchester United, following a tackle by Martin Buchan - just a few years after a similarly gifted midfielder, Tony Green, was forced to retire following a serious knee injury.

Archived